James Webb space telescope set to launch Christmas Day

Rod

Heard it sets up a million miles out of earth orbit. 

6 seconds for the info to get back to earth, by my math.

Imagine that lag time in a gamers world lol. I need a faster router!!

IR sensors will capture shit that went down a long time ago, in a galaxy far away.

Hundreds of thousands of years ago.

We are still riding explosions to get big shit into space, circa 1960's.

Pretty fucking cool.

The most powerful machine ever built.

Still gives me a chubby every time I watch.

Edited by Voodoo
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Heard it sets up a million miles out of earth orbit. 

6 seconds for the info to get back to earth, by my math.

IR sensors will capture shit that went down a long time ago, in a galaxy far away.

Hundreds of thousands of years ago.

We are still riding explosions to get big shit into space, circa 1960's.

Pretty fucking cool.

It’s really exciting. This thing is going to be able to see crazy far back in time 

• Like 1

Just now, Ez ryder said:

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around that 

Easy explanation.

Light travels at 180,000 miles per second. Turn on a light,

So, if you are 180,000 miles away, we'd see that light one second after you turned it on.

It's just math from there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Watched the launch this morning, pretty cool. 

You do know that you know who is going to tell us this is all fake. :lol:

Fake news. Covid, flat earth.

Fake moon launch,  all the people that made the Saturn 5 project were fake….

41 minutes ago, ACE said:

So if you’re observing something that’s 1000 light years away, you’re observing that object as it was 1000 years ago 

No, you nurd. A light year is a measurement of distance.  And without getting all nurdy, pretty sure it would equate to like 40k human years to travel one light year.  But, I can see your point, technically, I guess if you could see far enough out, you can travel back in time.  But what are we gonna find out by this?  I don’t think we are near advanced enough to even understand what we might be seeing.  And the scary part is, tracer rounds work both ways. We’d better be thinking about this.

Now, let’s get to making a hot babe to be our slave instead.  

B491AF71-1C42-4D84-A38D-3040568696E2.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

No, you nurd. A light year is a measurement of distance.  And without getting all nurdy, pretty sure it would equate to like 40k human years to travel one light year.  But, I can see your point, technically, I guess if you could see far enough out, you can travel back in time.  But what are we gonna find out by this?  I don’t think we are near advanced enough to even understand what we might be seeing.  And the scary part is, tracer rounds work both ways. We’d better be thinking about this.

Now, let’s get to making a hot babe to be our slave instead.  

B491AF71-1C42-4D84-A38D-3040568696E2.gif

A light year is how far light travels in a human year.  Ace is right in that what we are seeing from other places in the universe can be millions of years old. 

The scale of the universe is hard to fathom.  We are on a tiny pebble in one little galaxy of billions of galaxies in the observable universe.

A light-year, alternatively spelled lightyear, is a unit of length used to express astronomical distances and is equivalent to about 9.46 trillion kilometers or 5.88 trillion miles. As defined by the International Astronomical Union, a light-year is the distance that light travels in vacuum in one Julian year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Voodoo said:

Easy explanation.

Light travels at 180,000 miles per second. Turn on a light,

So, if you are 180,000 miles away, we'd see that light one second after you turned it on.

It's just math from there.

I get it but still hard to wrap my head around the  they are going to capture a images of just after the big bang and send them back. 

just don't get how it is possible 

We will see if it is .

How many yrs will we be waiting for the awnser? 

Edited by Ez ryder

8 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I get it but still hard to wrap my head around the  they are going to capture a images of just after the big bang and send them back. 

We will see if it is .

We won’t get a definite “answer” what we’ll get is theories. None of which will ever be proven.  This is fodder for nerds.

Personally, I don’t care about it.  It’s all silliness that serves no good that I can see….and have yet to have anybody explain to me how any of this “helps” anything here on our rock.  It’s like long mathematical theories.  All just university fodder for career educators.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around that 

Same here. 

17 hours ago, ACE said:

So if you’re observing something that’s 1000 light years away, you’re observing that object as it was 1000 years ago 

Hopefully it can see other life forms out there somewhere. Or maybe that opens a box we don't want to open ...?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Watched the launch this morning, pretty cool. 

You do know that you know who is going to tell us this is all fake. :lol:

Why do they fake the live view if it’s real? 

1 hour ago, ford_428cj said:

Same here. 

Hopefully it can see other life forms out there somewhere. Or maybe that opens a box we don't want to open ...?

We’d have to look for some of the large structures they may have built in space. These telescopes don’t have enough resolution to see complex patterns. Just enough that something is there. Like they can tell that a planet is there, and if they can get a good enough view of the hue of the atmosphere of it they can analyze and deduce certain aspects of it 

they can’t get good clear pictures. The pictures they show of planets that are light years away are artist’s renderings of the scientists assumptions 

12 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

We will see if it is .

What does cnn say?  It even comes with a fact check.