2021 MACH Z Ski-Doo on the dyno

3 hours ago, Tommcat said:

i hate when people think there is some exact conversion number for track to engine power, it just doesnt work that way.

You're the person I wanted to check this out.  I have never seen a track dyno before. If you put two different brands on this same dyno what would the out come be?

MACH VS SRX

https://www.supertraxmag.com/features/mach-vs-srx/n4230?fbclid=IwAR0fk7t9qETWVVXyEWsk6JFuDeIKu8jpFtujz5-7W5UMuW_zojBGUqHXjz0

How about this? What if the Ski-Doo does put out exactly 180 HP and the SRX does put out 10-15 more HP than the Ski-Doo? What would be your expectation then? I'll save you the trouble. The Yamaha would be faster at the big end - for sure.

21 minutes ago, Badger** said:

You're the person I wanted to check this out.  I have never seen a track dyno before. If you put two different brands on this same dyno what would the out come be?

MACH VS SRX

https://www.supertraxmag.com/features/mach-vs-srx/n4230?fbclid=IwAR0fk7t9qETWVVXyEWsk6JFuDeIKu8jpFtujz5-7W5UMuW_zojBGUqHXjz0

You could put 5 mach z sleds on a track dyno, clutch all 5 differently, and get 5 different hp numbers.

No changes in the motor or tune, but yet still different numbers.

And that's why there is no magical formula to calculate engine power.

A track dyno is good for figuring out clutching and driveline improvements, and can certainly be used to show engine power gains IF nothing else on the chassis is changed, but they're fairly useless if comparing engine power from one sled to another

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doug said:

A good comparison would be motor dyno compared to track dyno on the same sled.  That would show how much HP is lost in the drivetrain. 

It would in theory.  But if the Dyno doesn't load the machine exactly the same as a real world condition it's still kind of meaningless.  It sounds like that dyno isn't loading it at all, spins up way faster than the machine would actually accelerate.

4 minutes ago, mnstang said:

It would in theory.  But if the Dyno doesn't load the machine exactly the same as a real world condition it's still kind of meaningless.  It sounds like that dyno isn't loading it at all, spins up way faster than the machine would actually accelerate.

Never put any faith in a track dyno because there is to many variables.  As far as dyno for a motor your only looking at the power curve for clutching unless making changes to the motor.

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Doug said:

Never put any faith in a track dyno because there is to many variables.  As far as dyno for a motor your only looking at the power curve for clutching unless making changes to the motor.

Agreed.