Big ass windshields

Riding is more fun when I'm not frozen.

I'd probably get by with a windscreen if I didn't ride trail sorta scootin.  Those are the times when the windshield earns it's keep.

It's surprising how much a couple inches of height changes things too.  The sled with a mid-tall and handguards used to be the last one to get picked on cold days.

The debate about handguards isn't really a debate for high speed.  In fact, I often wonder if some handguards actually speed up the wind going around?  We have quite a few sleds with the same windshields.  One also has a set of ears and that thing is colder for reasons I can't figure.

• Gold Member

Do any of you guys use gauntlets? I thought they were stupid for years but what a difference they make. I’d personally rather have small shield with gauntlets for below zero days than a big goofy lookin shield. The only thing that ever really get cold on me is my finger tips when it’s below zero.

33 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Do any of you guys use gauntlets? I thought they were stupid for years but what a difference they make. I’d personally rather have small shield with gauntlets for below zero days than a big goofy lookin shield. The only thing that ever really get cold on me is my finger tips when it’s below zero.

I don't care for gauntlets but like you my hands would get cold when it was below zero so I always cared a set of Ski-Doo soft gauntlets in the storage compartment of the sled.  Get cold would put them on and take them off later in the day.   Last year had a Polaris VR1 with smart hand warmers that you have 3 setting you could adjust and that worked well that I didn't need the to use the gauntlets.  Set the high setting to 150F so when my hands started to get cold would turn them to high and once my hands warmed up would turn them back to medium     

1 hour ago, favoritos said:

Riding is more fun when I'm not frozen.

I'd probably get by with a windscreen if I didn't ride trail sorta scootin.  Those are the times when the windshield earns it's keep.

It's surprising how much a couple inches of height changes things too.  The sled with a mid-tall and handguards used to be the last one to get picked on cold days.

The debate about handguards isn't really a debate for high speed.  In fact, I often wonder if some handguards actually speed up the wind going around?  We have quite a few sleds with the same windshields.  One also has a set of ears and that thing is colder for reasons I can't figure.

I tried going without the handguards for a bit.  On warmer days...not so bad.  But, colder days your fingers just are too exposed to wind...even at lower speeds and active riding.  Handguards make all the difference.  And that's coming from a guy who can usually ride in shorts and a long t.  If I get cold, I know some I'm riding with are just miserable.

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
44 minutes ago, Doug said:

I don't care for gauntlets but like you my hands would get cold when it was below zero so I always cared a set of Ski-Doo soft gauntlets in the storage compartment of the sled.  Get cold would put them on and take them off later in the day.   Last year had a Polaris VR1 with smart hand warmers that you have 3 setting you could adjust and that worked well that I didn't need the to use the gauntlets.  Set the high setting to 150F so when my hands started to get cold would turn them to high and once my hands warmed up would turn them back to medium     

Yup I don’t care for riding with them but some days you definitely need them. 

10 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

:dunno:

Screenshot_20211216-064324.png

Sexy mo fo!  :bc:

10 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Technically it's 1014%

I rounded down  :lol: 

Did you order the black SRX speedo cover?

no.  

35 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I'd rather have a taller windshield over hand muffs any day.  If you have a dink screen on a cold day, you're kind of a clown out there! 🤡

I get some weird looks sometimes from the “windscreen warriors” when I pull up….until I start undressing to cool down and my head is smoking like a chimney.  To each their own.  The guy I usually ride with is colder natured so, he likes a bit larger screen and more layers.  Just watching him shed that shit makes me wanna have a heat stroke.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Sexy mo fo!  :bc:

no.  

I get some weird looks sometimes from the “windscreen warriors” when I pull up….until I start undressing to cool down and my head is smoking like a chimney.  To each their own.  The guy I usually ride with is colder natured so, he likes a bit larger screen and more layers.  Just watching him shed that shit makes me wanna have a heat stroke.  

Really if it's above zero and you're in the woods it's not a big deal.  And if it's much colder than that I don't need to be out trail riding.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Really if it's above zero and you're in the woods it's not a big deal.  And if it's much colder than that I don't need to be out trail riding.

Yeah, zero is about my limit.  10 and above is the sweet spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, zero is about my limit.  10 and above is the sweet spot.

10-31 is my favorite zone

But, sometimes you just have to ride and if it's -shit I'm prepared and not swapping shields, muffs and worried about a $400 seat with a berry bag warmer.  Unload and go. 

Not enough w/s, but 'just enough' bar riser?  :lol2:

Screenshot_20211216-185155.png

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

25 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

10-31 is my favorite zone

But, sometimes you just have to ride and if it's -shit I'm prepared and not swapping shields, muffs and worried about a $400 seat with a berry bag warmer.  Unload and go. 

Not enough w/s, but 'just enough' bar riser?  :lol2:

Screenshot_20211216-185155.png

Who changes windshields?  That guys a tool.  No monster stickers?  Fucking rookie.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Who changes windshields?  That guys a tool.  No monster stickers?  Fucking rookie.

It's a never excercised option for me, I have one for each metric crescent wrench I own. 

Edit: look closely at the helmet. 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

56 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I could sound like a real asshole describing the rider of that machine.  So I'll stop here.

oh-no-im-fine-im-fine.gif

Well, do it anyway.:lol:

29 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

That way the extra horsepower goes where he goes.

Yes!  It all adds up!  That dude is wicked smaaht!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mnstang said:

I could sound like a real asshole describing the rider of that machine.  So I'll stop here.

oh-no-im-fine-im-fine.gif

Why? 

Apparently he wants to sound like one.

Can someone explain the purpose of the oversized bar riser?  I've never seen one on an actual race sled.

Screenshot_20211217-064447.png

20 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Gauntlets will send some over the edge, but below zero these are invaluable to me.

F80D5E25-E554-4CCA-8C4A-2414E872492C.jpeg

x2.  I try and strike a balance, medium windshield and gauntlets when it gets down below 0.  My fingers have suffered enough damage over the years and get cold easy these days.  Not ready for the full on pepere high yet,  but it probably won't be long.  :lol: 

45FE9BA0-2418-4C06-8357-B16C6B5922DC.jpeg.b6014ad107a28d145922565aa6ead643 (1).jpeg

20 hours ago, Doug said:

Did you ever have those smart warmers recalibrated by your dealer. There was something about that floating around last year.

19 minutes ago, racerdave said:

Did you ever have those smart warmers recalibrated by your dealer. There was something about that floating around last year.

No never had any problems with them.  Some were not calibrated when the sled was setup and didn't work correctly.  Normally one would not work at all