Wait for your snow check sled or bail out ?

Will you wait for your snowcheck or bail  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Will you wait for your snowcheck or bail

• Wait until the sled comes in
    • Bail and find a different used sled
    • Bail and just ride what I have
    • Bail and snowcheck a 2023

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Was talking to a riding buddy of mine about the upcoming New Year's weekend, and he said his sister-in-law has an Enduro 600 ordered and it was pushed back again.  Apparently his brother-in-law was told, "Maybe end of February, but likely will be March.  Don't call us, we'll call you" and also asked if they wanted to back out of it as the dealership could then sell it when it finally came in.  WTF!?!

Thinking a lot of customers are less than kind to dealership staff at this point and they're getting frustrated. My saleslady thanked me profusely for my patience in a difficult situation, said many have not been nice. I can see it both ways

Just now, oldslowsledder said:

Thinking a lot of customers are less than kind to dealership staff at this point and they're getting frustrated. My saleslady thanked me profusely for my patience in a difficult situation, said many have not been nice. I can see it both ways

Oh, absolutely .... I even told my buddy that shared this story with me, how it's gotta suck as a dealer because it's 100% out of their control.  My WTF comment was more so about the dealer asking if my buddy's in-laws wanted to cancel so the dealership could sell the sled.  That just has a kick in the nuts type of feeling to it ... I don't see how snowcheck for 2023 is going to be much better.

• Like 1

Reality is there is a shortage of everything produced....

Covid did create a surge of consumer demand for products. . .

Sled Manufactures are not exempt from 3rd party vendors NOT delivering on time . . .

And third party vendors are not exempt from raw material shortages . . . or employee's not wanting to work ....

My past Redline snowmobile was never delivered ...  company returned a 3k deposite.  .  .

Ok .... your new sled doesn't exist... Factory offers your money back. . . giving you a way out,  trying to make it right.

Seems a pretty standard practice in business to refund a customer's money when the transaction can't be completed as expected.

😕  Patience and compromise are virtue .  .   .

Maybe, some of this crowd saw or remembers Empty Shelves in the old communist Russia era...  stand in line at the bakery.  to be told there was no more when you got inside.  There just wasn't much product available.

4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Is there any other sport where you can spend this much for 90 days of potential use per year? 

It's kinda stupid if you really think about it. 

We've been saying it for years.  My one buddy said, "I hope nobody takes this shit so seriously that they do a cost analysis!" :lol:  I told him I just like expensive garage ornaments, so that's my justification (but in my case I don't even have that right now)!! LOL

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bontz said:

We've been saying it for years.  My one buddy said, "I hope nobody takes this shit so seriously that they do a cost analysis!" :lol:  I told him I just like expensive garage ornaments, so that's my justification (but in my case I don't even have that right now)!! LOL

Seriously, I'm about $12k into two older sleds and a trailer and the mathematician in me finds the math idiotic.  But, I have several garage ornaments that also drive my wife nuts.  

The Harley in our basement hasn't been registered or ridden since 1997, and I don't gaf because it was bought and paid for before I met her and had planned to pass it to a son (we have one daughter) or now a grandson.  If that doesn't work out they can bury it with me.

The guys who go all in on the big new diesel truck, tandem ax enclosed trailer and two to four sleds... God bless them.  :lol:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Is there any other sport where you can spend this much for 90 days of potential use per year? 

There's four seasons a year.  What are you going to do.  90 days is quite a while really.  Have a hobby for every season is not too hard I sometimes wish I only had 4.  Are you riding every day or even every weekend to maximize winter?  If not, the season must be plenty long.  There's plenty of snow right now!  Go ride instead of talking about how the season is too short!

As for your actual question.. how much is "this much"?  I'm pretty sure there is no set amount that is required.  You can spend a real minimal amount on snowmobiling and have just as much fun as anyone, arguably more fun actually than someone way more invested.  Just because they're way more invested and that by nature sucks somewhat compared to the alternative.

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Every motorsport forums states this, and for most, there are much more expensive hobbies. 

Sledding has become a lot, but not any where near some others.

Edited by CFM

5 minutes ago, mnstang said:

There's four seasons a year.  What are you going to do.  90 days is quite a while really.  Have a hobby for every season is not too hard I sometimes wish I only had 4.  Are you riding every day or even every weekend to maximize winter?  If not, the season must be plenty long.  There's plenty of snow right now!  Go ride instead of talking about how the season is too short!

As for your actual question.. how much is "this much"?  I'm pretty sure there is no set amount that is required.  You can spend a real minimal amount on snowmobiling and have just as much fun as anyone, arguably more fun actually than someone way more invested.  Just because they're way more invested and that by nature sucks somewhat compared to the alternative.

I'm good with what I have and the amount of time/use/enjoyment I've gotten from my minimal investment.  

The math works out differently for everyone though.  Some people buy a toy with the intent to keep it a long time where others trade up every year or two. Etc. Some pound diamonds and rack up big miles where others might only get out a few times a season.

I'm a bit frugal and can't justify blowing bigger $ on a sport that has little guarantee irl2 weather.  Boats, bikes, wheelers, SXs's have a eight month window in most of the country.  Sleds... Well, no.  

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'm good with what I have and the amount of time/use/enjoyment I've gotten from my minimal investment.  

The math works out differently for everyone though.  Some people buy a toy with the intent to keep it a long time where others trade up every year or two. Etc. Some pound diamonds and rack up big miles where others might only get out a few times a season.

I'm a bit frugal and can't justify blowing bigger $ on a sport that has little guarantee irl2 weather.  Boats, bikes, wheelers, SXs's have a eight month window in most of the country.  Sleds... Well, no.  

$12k is a good chunk of money.  But nobody twisted your arm.  And that money isn't gone, you have something tangible for that money and could probably sell all your junk and walk away from it all, even up.  After getting alot of enjoyment out of it.  And probably double your money if you sell your stash of windshields.  

Sorry but I don't feel too bad for you.  Try harder.

• Like 1

Snowmobiling is in my blood and something that I really enjoy so it's worth the expense for the short season.  15K for a sled and the fun times it brings or 15K sitting in an account hopefully making more money but not a lot of enjoyment.  It's Just a number.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mnstang said:

$12k is a good chunk of money.  But nobody twisted your arm.  And that money isn't gone, you have something tangible for that money and could probably sell all your junk and walk away from it all, even up.  After getting alot of enjoyment out of it.  And probably double your money if you sell your stash of windshields.  

Sorry but I don't feel too bad for you.  Try harder.

My windshield stash will someday pay for our daughters ivy league education:lol:

I'm certainly not looking for any sympathy and enjoy what I have without real want or desire for more.  It's nice having an extra sled, have taken plenty of friends and family riding who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity.  Of course I put the shitty windshields on for them to protect the investment.  😂

11 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Boating is worse, especially when you get into the larger boats. Anyway, that's why I ride older sleds now, 15k for something that gets used for 60 days usually rather than 90. In the last 30 years, trail riding on average in WI is really only good from about mid Jan. - end of Feb. and sometimes you will get bonus time but it's rare. Last season was horrible, about 3 weeks of riding and most of it was shitty. Snowmobiling is alot of fun and I do get why some guys are passionate about it. 

On 12/27/2021 at 8:55 PM, oldslowsledder said:

being an ass isn't going to make the sled show up so no reason to shit on the dealer employees.  

• Like 3

On 12/28/2021 at 9:38 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

On 12/28/2021 at 9:38 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

Yes a motor yacht. Makes a sled look like chump change!

Late parents had a 61' Hatteras, the bills were shocking, especially since the season on New Englsnd is mid June to Labor Day.

The fuel bill was more than a new sled.  Try 1500 - 2000 gallons of fuel in a day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

being an ass isn't going to make the sled show up so no reason to shit on the dealer employees.  

Yep.  It surely isn't the dealer's fault.  Yelling and screaming at them would be childish.

13 hours ago, mnstang said:

Yep.  It surely isn't the dealer's fault.  Yelling and screaming at them would be childish.

100% dead on.  I had a "Contact Us" case opened with Polaris regarding some ongoing issues with my e-mail and the guy from their customer service area (his name was Paul) gave me a call vs. responding electronically.  As we talked through the issue, we got on the topic of what's going on & he was starting to apologize, etc.  I told him, "Hey - no need to apologize as I know you're just the messenger and it's out of your hands."  And I went on to say how it must get frustrating having to deal with people who are calling all day long pissing & moaning about their situation.  It was like a huge relief to him, it felt like.  Anyway, as we were finishing up he asked if I had any other questions or if he could do anything for me.  I asked if he could tell if my sled had any other status changes from the previous update with it being in "Build" status.  He checked, and said "Good news!" and explained it's built, waiting to be shipped.  He went on to say he'd keep my case opened and would give me a call next week with any updates.

So yep, it definitely helps to show some empathy to these folks when it's completely out of their control.

• Like 2

Not for nothing but, let’s not be too apologetic toward these operations that are happy to take your money while the taking is good then when it all falls apart, blame something else (Covid).  These operations are supposed to employ people that are well seasoned in future supply line logistics and should have a good bead on what is going to happen.  Sure, this was certainly out of the norm but it’s clear Polaris really had no idea wtf was going to happen….as they continues to fill their order lines.  Textron seemingly had a better grasp as they damn well should have being in that broad range industry.  Doo seemingly figured it out pretty well also.

You mean to tell me a reasonably seasoned person IN SUPPLY AND LOGISTICS couldn’t look at electrical components and their world suppliers and come up with a reasonable amount of product they could get completed and out on time?  This is how people lose their jobs.

Now, the big “Fuck” is going to come when these sleds are abandoned at the dealer and the dealer can now easily add 4-5k in mark up and sell as new next summer.  Wow.  

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Not for nothing but, let’s not be too apologetic toward these operations that are happy to take your money while the taking is good then when it all falls apart, blame something else (Covid).  These operations are supposed to employ people that are well seasoned in future supply line logistics and should have a good bead on what is going to happen.  Sure, this was certainly out of the norm but it’s clear Polaris really had no idea wtf was going to happen….as they continues to fill their order lines.  Textron seemingly had a better grasp as they damn well should have being in that broad range industry.  Doo seemingly figured it out pretty well also.

You mean to tell me a reasonably seasoned person IN SUPPLY AND LOGISTICS couldn’t look at electrical components and their world suppliers and come up with a reasonable amount of product they could get completed and out on time?  This is how people lose their jobs.

Now, the big “Fuck” is going to come when these sleds are abandoned at the dealer and the dealer can now easily add 4-5k in mark up and sell as new next summer.  Wow.  

People like Dick Haven and poop for me were ridiculing cat for capping orders.  Saying that they should take as many as they can and deal with it later.  Saying capping orders is bad business.  Those guys are the biggest corporate tools.

But, it's still not right to yell at a dealer level person.  They have zero control over it and are in the same boat.

21 minutes ago, Bontz said:

100% dead on.  I had a "Contact Us" case opened with Polaris regarding some ongoing issues with my e-mail and the guy from their customer service area (his name was Paul) gave me a call vs. responding electronically.  As we talked through the issue, we got on the topic of what's going on & he was starting to apologize, etc.  I told him, "Hey - no need to apologize as I know you're just the messenger and it's out of your hands."  And I went on to say how it must get frustrating having to deal with people who are calling all day long pissing & moaning about their situation.  It was like a huge relief to him, it felt like.  Anyway, as we were finishing up he asked if I had any other questions or if he could do anything for me.  I asked if he could tell if my sled had any other status changes from the previous update with it being in "Build" status.  He checked, and said "Good news!" and explained it's built, waiting to be shipped.  He went on to say he'd keep my case opened and would give me a call next week with any updates.

So yep, it definitely helps to show some empathy to these folks when it's completely out of their control.

Cool it's built, hopefully you get it soon to enjoy this snow

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mnstang said:

People like Dick Haven and poop for me were ridiculing cat for capping orders.  Saying that they should take as many as they can and deal with it later.  Saying capping orders is bad business.  Those guys are the biggest corporate tools.

But, it's still not right to yell at a dealer level person.  They have zero control over it and are in the same boat.

Exactly, product delivery is the #1 aspect of any business model.  Failure of this is a failure in the model and ultimately, the management.

Polaris’s COO is in the hot seat right now.  Let’s see who he can blame when the ax starts to fall….and it is going to.

22 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Being apologetic to customer service people, who have no skin in the game other than delivering the news & taking the brunt of shitty customers, shouldn't be difficult to understand.  If you want to bitch at the higher ups who actually HAVE skin in the game, that's understandable (and yeah, I agree with that aspect of it).  And if you think Doo is doing reasonably well, I have news for ya .. they're struggling every bit as much.  I know two dealers locally who can't get a fully built Doo delivered to their customers (but hope to soon) and a riding buddy's brother-in-law (well, it's actually the brother-in-law's wife) who won't see her Enduro 600 until March, hopefully.

35 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Being apologetic to customer service people, who have no skin in the game other than delivering the news & taking the brunt of shitty customers, shouldn't be difficult to understand.  If you want to bitch at the higher ups who actually HAVE skin in the game, that's understandable (and yeah, I agree with that aspect of it).  And if you think Doo is doing reasonably well, I have news for ya .. they're struggling every bit as much.  I know two dealers locally who can't get a fully built Doo delivered to their customers (but hope to soon) and a riding buddy's brother-in-law (well, it's actually the brother-in-law's wife) who won't see her Enduro 600 until March, hopefully.

I meant as a whole company, not the dealers and service people left holding the bag and having to explain to customers why their mother ship is a full on shit show.  Cat is still feeling the supplier network problems from their last debacle.

All suppliers are having problems but, it seems pretty widespread and common that Poo is having the largest.  Maybe their supply and logistics team were really optimistic.  Biden was their hero after all…..after Trump caused them “so many problems”.

:dunno:

• Like 1