Wait for your snow check sled or bail out ?

Will you wait for your snowcheck or bail  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Will you wait for your snowcheck or bail

• Wait until the sled comes in
    • Bail and find a different used sled
    • Bail and just ride what I have
    • Bail and snowcheck a 2023

For me there was not a question I'll continue to wait and hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll have my XCR.  Here's an article from Fasttrac on some points

https://fasttractraction.com/blogs/tips-for-the-trails/3-reasons-to-keep-your-delayed-snowcheck-snowmobile?fbclid=IwAR36cz-nYJ3q-TDFtTZjo1AI5DckOKQmiMcVXT8Ar-53aeccRYegRPJq5xY

• Like 1

that talk of prices "going up a lot" is a glimpse into the demise of snowmobiles. they are already too much, and to go up a lot would make it insane. a 22000.00 xcr is gonna be a tough sell. some will still buy, but they need big numbers to make money. or they go up more. making them more simple would be an option to reduce costs  but we know how that is. the value sleds are there and few buy them

• Like 1

We finished trail marking last weekend and within our club about a dozen guys ordered new sleds.  Of the dozen only 2 have their sleds.  Others are waiting for parts or like myself the sled.

8 minutes ago, Doug said:

We finished trail marking last weekend and within our club about a dozen guys ordered new sleds.  Of the dozen only 2 have their sleds.  Others are waiting for parts or like myself the sled.

Man. It’s just a tough call on a bad deal for everyone.  

I ordered my Cat the first day I could and got it in September. I know people who ordered the same model that have early January expected dates. I ordered my dads sled a week or two later and his was in before mine (his is a limited not RR). All 600s are end of January. If I had ordered a 600 I’d probably bail or see if I could just roll it over to next year since the money’s been spent for so long.

• Like 1

I've been debating what I'm going to do for over a month.  And there's no good answer.  Option 1 is to stick with my snow check and hope that Polaris offers some significant incentives (which I kind of doubt).  I look at it as being not a whole lot different from the days of picking up a leftover sled in-season and taking advantage of the huge rebates - without the rebates :handjob:.  Option 2 is to cancel, get my deposit back, and start shopping ... but knowing full well I'm gonna be paying top dollar for whatever I might find, that's not real enticing.  Seeing my long-time dealer retired & sold his dealership, I was actually giving serious thought to finding a Thundercat to give a whirl for a season ... but I ain't real thrilled to be looking at $19K+ to try that out!  The least likely option is to just say fuck it, get my deposit back, and sit out another season & see if things start getting back to normal by next season.  It all sucks.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I've been debating what I'm going to do for over a month.  And there's no good answer.  Option 1 is to stick with my snow check and hope that Polaris offers some significant incentives (which I kind of doubt).  I look at it as being not a whole lot different from the days of picking up a leftover sled in-season and taking advantage of the huge rebates - without the rebates :handjob:.  Option 2 is to cancel, get my deposit back, and start shopping ... but knowing full well I'm gonna be paying top dollar for whatever I might find, that's not real enticing.  Seeing my long-time dealer retired & sold his dealership, I was actually giving serious thought to finding a Thundercat to give a whirl for a season ... but I ain't real thrilled to be looking at $19K+ to try that out!  The least likely option is to just say fuck it, get my deposit back, and sit out another season & see if things start getting back to normal by next season.  It all sucks.

What makes matters worse is the used sled market is just dry AF and indeed, people are asking top $$$.  Trying to find an exact model is gonna e tough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

What makes matters worse is the used sled market is just dry AF and indeed, people are asking top $$$.  Trying to find an exact model is gonna e tough.

That's just it ... between clapped out shit and insane-o prices, I'm not super enthused about those options.  I may end up spending my season in the co-pilot seat of our club's groomer and saying F it.  It's definitely not what I want, but it may be the best option if this bullshit with waiting gets too out of hand.

6 minutes ago, Bontz said:

That's just it ... between clapped out shit and insane-o prices, I'm not super enthused about those options.  I may end up spending my season in the co-pilot seat of our club's groomer and saying F it.  It's definitely not what I want, but it may be the best option if this bullshit with waiting gets too out of hand.

For the hell of it it I just looked on Craig’s.  Three 2021’s poos in my area.  One asking 16k and the other two are $17k “used” Holy shit!

I may sell my sled and we’ll just groom together this year!  :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bontz said:

Stop your whinning or I'll send the Pitcunt over your way. :lol:  Anyhow I see my new dealer has 2022 850's on the floor.  Go get your deposit back and go get a 850.  https://kenssportsgreenbay.com/Showroom/New-Inventory/New/Polaris/Snowmobiles/2022

52 minutes ago, A05GSHO said:

Stop your whinning or I'll send the Pitcunt over your way. :lol:  Anyhow I see my new dealer has 2022 850's on the floor.  Go get your deposit back and go get a 850.  https://kenssportsgreenbay.com/Showroom/New-Inventory/New/Polaris/Snowmobiles/2022

It's weird ... I feel like I should be more pissed about the situation, but I feel kind of - I dunno - indifferent to it all.  Maybe missing last year and not missing it nearly as much as I thought I would is playing into it.  But I just kinda feel like "meh, whatever" :news:   The idea of NOT spending $16K+ isn't a terrible thing ... especially after shelling out for a RZR back in October.

I have to see what the scoop is with my XCR, obviously, before I start leaning one way or the other.  But I'm not gonna lie, the local Cat dealer is a good dude and he supports our snowmobile club quite a bit ... I wouldn't mind giving a Cat a whirl but all he seems to have in stock are Alpha railed sleds.  I'd like to see if he can find a way to get a Thunderkitty but like I said earlier, I wasn't thrilled with spending $16K ... I sure as hell wouldn't be thrilled to spend $19K+!! LOL

Such real world problems, I tell ya ... worrying about a snowmobile :whistle:

If I was without a sled at all I would just take delivery whenever that may be and ride out whatever season is left.  Then I would order another one in the spring and flip the slightly used sled next fall/winter after the new one comes in. 

It's quite possible it would cost nearly nothing to ride that new sled even if the season is short.  Do this until the powersports market changes.

Enjoy the sport to much to be without a sled.  Been keeping my sleds for 2 years recently and pass them to my wife to drive the 2nd year so I'm covered for a sled to ride and have other older sleds I can ride when she goes.  

Used market is upside down.  Friend of mine passed away 6 months ago and we sold his sled for 1K more than what he bought it for last year and it sold fast.  Another friend is always wheeling and dealing with sleds.  Sold a sled last year and the guy crashed it so he bought it back fixed it and sold it for more this year.  He normally has 4-5 sleds for sale and has none.  He also buys newer wrecks to part out and parts for newer sleds are bring top money.

Good year if your selling.  Bad year if your buying or waiting on a new sled

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mnstang said:

There are sleds that come up but they don't last long if they're fair priced at all.  And if you're not on FB marketplace you're not seeing about 90% of them

Yep.  Mine popped up and I jumped on it after looking for months and realizing the shit show we were in.  Got the heads up, and called immediately.  I was on the road the next morning.  Don’t fuck around when you find anything close to what you want.  This isn’t the time to be throwing offers via email and text. Hel,  bet Incould sell it and make 20-30% right now but, I’ll settle for what I’ve got into it at end of season.

Crazy fucking times!

12 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yep.  Mine popped up and I jumped on it after looking for months and realizing the shit show we were in.  Got the heads up, and called immediately.  I was on the road the next morning.  Don’t fuck around when you find anything close to what you want.  This isn’t the time to be throwing offers via email and text. Hel,  bet Incould sell it and make 20-30% right now but, I’ll settle for what I’ve got into it at end of season.

Crazy fucking times!

Yep.  All I do is ask when I can come look at it.  You can ask all the questions you want in person.  It's always annoying when people ask too many questions over text or email anyway.  Usually a clown person.

Saw one late in the day thanksgiving, called on black Friday morning and was on the road that same morning.  Didn't buy it but I got my crack at it if I wanted it and it was gone by the next day.

I've been watching Marketplace more than anything else (I looked at Craigslist a week ago).  And I have a call into the Cat dealer about the Thundercat, just to get a realistic price.  Before I jump the gun though, I need to man up and go to this new Polaris dealer I got forced into, and talk with someone and make sure the deposit I placed doesn't come back to me as some bullshit merchandise gift card or whatever.  I haven't stepped foot into the dealership yet, so my first visit may be my last.  That said, I would be ecstatic if they told me my sled was on a truck, and scheduled to be here this month ... because I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty excited about the 650 XCR.  But that Thundercat sure is calling my name if Polaris can't deliver. I figure if I can get into it for $19K I should be able to sell it for $25K the way this market is!!! :lol:

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

But I'm not gonna lie, the local Cat dealer is a good dude and he supports our snowmobile club quite a bit ... I wouldn't mind giving a Cat a whirl but all he seems to have in stock are Alpha railed sleds.  I'd like to see if he can find a way to get a Thunderkitty but like I said earlier, I wasn't thrilled with spending $16K ... I sure as hell wouldn't be thrilled to spend $19K+!! LOL

Such real world problems, I tell ya ... worrying about a snowmobile :whistle:

@Not greg b has a nice, well sorted, upgraded 2019 RR for sale, fwiw.

11 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I've been watching Marketplace more than anything else (I looked at Craigslist a week ago).  And I have a call into the Cat dealer about the Thundercat, just to get a realistic price.  Before I jump the gun though, I need to man up and go to this new Polaris dealer I got forced into, and talk with someone and make sure the deposit I placed doesn't come back to me as some bullshit merchandise gift card or whatever.  I haven't stepped foot into the dealership yet, so my first visit may be my last.  That said, I would be ecstatic if they told me my sled was on a truck, and scheduled to be here this month ... because I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty excited about the 650 XCR.  But that Thundercat sure is calling my name if Polaris can't deliver. I figure if I can get into it for $19K I should be able to sell it for $25K the way this market is!!! :lol:

Buy another and sell yours when it comes in?

Damn…honestly, what a fucking mess this thing is right now.  I honestly feel lucky as shit grabbing what I did.

It's a shit show, no doubt.  I mean, I'm not defending Polaris here ... I really did expect some hiccups with production & delivery.  But I guess I was naïve enough to think sleds would be in by the holidays (Christmas, not Presidents Day!! LOL)  The local Cat dealer - I called there earlier this morning, and they're basically in the same spot.  They have a Thundercat on order, but not sure if it will be in by next month or not.  And there are no "dealer swaps" going on at all, as expected.

22 minutes ago, Bontz said:

It's a shit show, no doubt.  I mean, I'm not defending Polaris here ... I really did expect some hiccups with production & delivery.  But I guess I was naïve enough to think sleds would be in by the holidays (Christmas, not Presidents Day!! LOL)  The local Cat dealer - I called there earlier this morning, and they're basically in the same spot.  They have a Thundercat on order, but not sure if it will be in by next month or not.  And there are no "dealer swaps" going on at all, as expected.

My first couple months of searching I realized something was fucking off.  Even started a thread about it.  I didn't get too worried though, just figured market would start to grow as winter got near...NOPE!  What was put on was high mileage stuff wanting a mint for it.  To my surprise, they were getting it!  It became a job, seriously...every chance I got I scoured the ads....to find nothing and race teams already dumped their good sleds.  If I wouldn't have had a buddy that "knew a guy that knew a guy" selling his off, I'd probably be here without a sled.  Sorry, my pride isn't gonna let me pay new retail pricing on a sled with 3k on the counter...or a SX model at race prices last year with 40 hard ours on it. Now, new sleds appear to be getting delivered mid fucking season?!?!?  If we're lucky?  Eeeesh!

I've never seen it this weird.

• Like 2

I usually hold onto my old sled until my new one comes in.  This year I took my 2020 down early and he was holding off selling it until my new sled came in in case there was issues getting new sleds like there is.  Been dealing with them for a long time and actually ride with him and some of the techs plus on occasion gotten demo sleds to ride.  Talked a couple weeks ago about my 2020 and I told him if he can sell it go ahead we'll work something out and if need be I can get something to ride from him when my wife goes or I'll ride one of my older sleds.  He sold it the next day.

He said the used sled market is nuts ride now but its almost like the dawn before some type of storm is going to hit.