OFFICIAL 2021-22 SLEDDING THREAD

16 hours ago, EvilBird said:

sold my 98 Grand Touring 700 out of nowhere...and on 90 degree day go figure.

time to find another yard sled 

4EE31092-D7C2-4268-8D77-4C6CBCA41456.jpeg

My dad used to call some of his old sleds yard mules. :lmao:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 7:46 PM, XCR INDY said:

Went up to the vintage national show in Old Forge NY last weekend. Thought this Unrestored ‘78 RXL was kinda neat. 

A3D9F169-36D3-461D-90C8-E74E29B49F47.jpeg

AC33E2FB-D013-40C6-90D0-406600A7DEFD.jpeg

Never drove the 78 polaris but I did throw a leg over a 78 Doo 440 and drove the shit out of it a few times. 

Lets just say they are a slot car and being so light with such an efficient drive line and depending on how good the motor is you have anywhere from 105-130 hp. These things move. If you arnt locked in and hit the gas you might be left behind. LoL 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That’s badass.👍🏼

I had a lot of fun and it's cool going fast but those things can bite you so fast. If you drive it half assed you will probably end up in the bails and the same goes if you drive the shit out of it. LoL 

There is that fine line of controlled uncertainty where everything all comes together and then they drive like magic and you feel invincible until the next corner. Once you get the feel it all comes together. 

With all of the carbide up front and the bed of nails spinning under your ass you need to be skating/sliding it into the corners and that's where the danger lies. Learning as you go entering the corner at 100mph is how you get addicted to adrenalin. LoL

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Roosting said:

I'm the 18B

pc060268-1w.jpg

Very cool.  All vintage stuff?   I did some sno-x racing back over 20 years ago, and the thought of getting run over or landed on by another 500 lb. Sled was always on my mind.  Still at it?

21 hours ago, Roosting said:

Never drove the 78 polaris but I did throw a leg over a 78 Doo 440 and drove the shit out of it a few times. 

Lets just say they are a slot car and being so light with such an efficient drive line and depending on how good the motor is you have anywhere from 105-130 hp. These things move. If you arnt locked in and hit the gas you might be left behind. LoL 

Almost found that out the hard way over 20 years ago launching my uncles 2000 SRX ice dragger.  Track was full of chisels and I somehow thought a standing launch was a good idea.  Almost pitched me right off it launched so hard.  :bc: 

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Very cool.  All vintage stuff?   I did some sno-x racing back over 20 years ago, and the thought of getting run over or landed on by another 500 lb. Sled was always on my mind.  Still at it?

Ran a 79 SRX 440 in Super Stock, An F500 and got asked to ride the 78 440 ski-doo. Won the USSA title in 2016-17 on the F500 and the combo F500/sportsman600 classes. Pretty much ran the table in those 2 classes. got a couple of 2nd places and won the rest. LoL

The dream is still alive but I cant due to some physical limitations that came about from surgery. Still have the SRX and almost got it on the ice this spring before reality came back and I realized it might not be the best idea. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roosting said:

12814771_1565470843763591_491455585161981499_n.thumb.jpg.64441acae2652625f61f1e6a66631b45.jpg

although it has 340 tunnel decals there was a 440 rotax under the hood

Did you know Dale Loritz? He’s from Green Bay, WI as am I, he raced ovals on Ski Doo in the late 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. I believe he won the Eagle River World Championship once or twice. Nice looking photo, always loved those vintage oval sleds.

6 hours ago, Roosting said:

Ran a 79 SRX 440 in Super Stock, An F500 and got asked to ride the 78 440 ski-doo. Won the USSA title in 2016-17 on the F500 and the combo F500/sportsman600 classes. Pretty much ran the table in those 2 classes. got a couple of 2nd places and won the rest. LoL

The dream is still alive but I cant due to some physical limitations that came about from surgery. Still have the SRX and almost got it on the ice this spring before reality came back and I realized it might not be the best idea. 

Thats awesome, I owned 3 SRXs, all new.  80-98-00.  My uncle was a big Yamaha guy and did a ton of east coast asphalt-ice drags .  His son, my cousin is still at it on a Vmax700 all modded up.  Uncle had a showroom 77 for a number of years along with several 76-80 SRXs.

2 hours ago, Roosting said:

12814771_1565470843763591_491455585161981499_n.thumb.jpg.64441acae2652625f61f1e6a66631b45.jpg

although it has 340 tunnel decals there was a 440 rotax under the hood

We gotta get Tom AKiQ over here, he we was racing an old Motoski oval racer up until a year or so ago...

12 hours ago, Roosting said:

I had a lot of fun and it's cool going fast but those things can bite you so fast. If you drive it half assed you will probably end up in the bails and the same goes if you drive the shit out of it. LoL 

There is that fine line of controlled uncertainty where everything all comes together and then they drive like magic and you feel invincible until the next corner. Once you get the feel it all comes together. 

With all of the carbide up front and the bed of nails spinning under your ass you need to be skating/sliding it into the corners and that's where the danger lies. Learning as you go entering the corner at 100mph is how you get addicted to adrenalin. LoL

Getting tagged by carbides and studs was always one of the things I was most scared of on the ice.

We'd run such sharp carbides on ice, well, you know how it is.  

• Like 1

This guy carved out an oval ice track we used to hit all the time. It was a riot until you got into the corners a little hot. Always needed a few wind shields after and some duct tape. :lol: 

• Platinum Contributing Member

🏁 Top Ten Racers of the 1977 World Championship Snowmobile Derby. Left to Right Back Row: Jerry Bunke, Larry Rugland, Brad Hulings, Mario Ito, Doug Hayes. Front Row: Steve Thorsen, Dick Trickle, Jacques Villeneuve, Ed Schubitzke and Larry Colton. 📸 Photo archives from the World Snowmobile Headquarters in Eagle River.

2B8F662D-C5D0-4DE9-915E-DD932B80B927.thumb.jpeg.21852f8316c0f5f68a1d62969730bb37.jpeg

• Like 2

• ckf unpinned this topic