OFFICIAL 2021-22 SLEDDING THREAD

36 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Another afternoon of social distancing before the real cold sits in.  Currently -18°F.  No riding tomorrow, maintenance and wrenching day.  Maybe back to riding on Monday.

PXL_20211231_211030535[1].jpg

She’s sexy.  I’ll be out for an Irish shake down run this weekend.  :bc:

On 12/31/2021 at 10:19 AM, EvilBird said:

You still up North? Where was that Jackman? 

Yeah, we ride out of Jackman, and have rented a place up there for the past 10 years or so.  Put about 500 miles on before heading home today.  We hit some really primo stuff north of town, north of Pittston, and down to Seboomooc to Northeast Carry.  But the fields and many connectors are baked, and they need more snow for sure, 2-4" tonight will help a little, but they really need more.  I did measure about 14-15" in one spot we were in.   Smoked a deer at slow speed coming back to town on Thursday.  Big doe just came flying out of the woods after my brother drove by and right into me.  Adding up the parts now, about 500  :flush:

6C753C5B-B241-4E0C-AA3E-4CC3D6AAE611.jpeg

E0F38EE8-38E0-44C8-8A43-E3B983DD9A32.jpeg

08D35DF8-8431-4801-AC2E-FF92C67AE72B.jpeg

EF4C618E-A98F-4DEE-9EC0-C44D564B48E5.jpeg

DB16EAE5-1503-432B-B618-6221B4861A11.jpeg

30EF24EF-E2F7-4806-9789-9E6FC9B1647E.jpeg

9DCD66C6-D560-4A30-8711-A7C1596CBF8D.jpeg

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 5

• Gold Member
21 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Yeah, we ride out of Jackman, and have rented a place up there for the past 10 years or so.  Put about 500 miles on before heading home today.  We hit some really primo stuff north of town, north of Pittston, and down to Seboomooc to Northeast Carry.  But the fields and many connectors are baked, and they need more snow for sure, 2-4" tonight will help a little, but they really need more.  I did measure about 14-15" in one spot we were in.   Smoked a deer at slow speed coming back to town on Thursday.  Big doe just came flying out of the woods after my brother drove by and right into me.  Adding up the parts now, about 500  :flush:

6C753C5B-B241-4E0C-AA3E-4CC3D6AAE611.jpeg

E0F38EE8-38E0-44C8-8A43-E3B983DD9A32.jpeg

08D35DF8-8431-4801-AC2E-FF92C67AE72B.jpeg

EF4C618E-A98F-4DEE-9EC0-C44D564B48E5.jpeg

DB16EAE5-1503-432B-B618-6221B4861A11.jpeg

30EF24EF-E2F7-4806-9789-9E6FC9B1647E.jpeg

9DCD66C6-D560-4A30-8711-A7C1596CBF8D.jpeg

Wow glad you didnt get hurt Brotha. I almost hit 2 deer laat year in Chester VT...fuckers are everywhere there and same thing just ran out from nowhere .....nice pics ...im jealous lol 👊👍

Edited by EvilBird
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So looking at some triples recently and wondering if the Doo triples have counter balance shafts and water pump issues like the Zuke 800 and 1000? 🤷🏻

No they don’t. They don’t have balance shafts at all. And the water pump is never an issue. 

the weak point on the rotax ones are the plastic caged PTO bearings. The cage falls apart then of course the bearing falls apart. I’ve been replacing them with steel caged bearings on the PTO side which something a guy can do without special tools. Haven’t had one fail yet after updating them 

the other major issue is the carbs wear out over time and over fuels the engine. It washes the engine out and can actually get to the point it’ll hydro lock the engine and bend a rod 

easy fix though. I just drop the needles one notch In every carb to compensate for the wore needle jet. Cleans them right up. 

of course these aren’t chronic issues by any means but these sleds are old and most people don’t take the time to keep these things in check. 

Edited by ACE
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ACE said:

No they don’t. They don’t have balance shafts at all. And the water pump is never an issue. 

the weak point on the rotax ones are the plastic caged PTO bearings. The cage falls apart then of course the bearing falls apart. I’ve been replacing them with steel caged bearings on the PTO side which something a guy can do without special tools. Haven’t had one fail yet after updating them 

the other major issue is the carbs wear out over time and over fuels the engine. It washes the engine out and can actually get to the point it’ll hydro lock the engine and bend a rod 

easy fix though. I just drop the needles one notch In every carb to compensate for the wore needle jet. Cleans them right up. 

of course these aren’t chronic issues by any means but these sleds are old and most people don’t take the time to keep these things in check. 

I give ya alotta credit for keeping those old girls running, and those update/fixes.

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, ACE said:

So which is the better sled reliability wise…98 Mach 1 or 2002 Mach Z?🤷🏻👍🏼

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So which is the better sled reliability wise…98 Mach 1 or 2002 Mach Z?🤷🏻👍🏼

02 Mach Z

98’s had wiring issues and if anything the 800 was a better engine 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

02 Mach Z

Yeah l was  reading about the wiring under the engine issue…not such a good idea. 👍🏼

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah l was  reading about the wiring under the engine issue…not such a good idea. 👍🏼

Yup it was pretty dumb. Plus if you’re goi g to have a triple you might as well have the biggest one 

the Mach 1 had good power for a 700 as well but there’s literally no downside to having a Mach Z instead. It might be like 3-4 more lbs 

• Like 2

Just now, ACE said:

Yup it was pretty dumb. Plus if you’re goi g to have a triple you might as well have the biggest one 

the Mach 1 had good power for a 700 as well but there’s literally no downside to having a Mach Z instead. It might be like 3-4 more lbs 

Solid point.👍🏼

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, ACE said:

I still need to drop my needles like you told me before....it is doing exactly that still even after brand new needle and seat and float adjustment...

1 hour ago, ACE said:

02 Mach Z

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I have rerouted my Wiring to up top on my 98 700..still need to clean it up some and maybe some heat tape to avoid hot muffler ... but its no longer sitting under the motor. Way better already to work on. 

20220104_110252.jpg

Edited by EvilBird
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EvilBird said:

I still need to drop my needles....it is doing exactly that after brand new needle and seat and float adjustment...

I have rerouted my Wiring to up top....still need to clean it up some and maybe some heat tape to avoid hot muffler ... but its no longer sitting under the motor. Way better already to work on. 

20220104_110252.jpg

Yeah lots re did them and that was a Lot better 

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yeah lots re did them and that was a Lot better 

Wondering if my crank seals are bad??

Thing fires right up cold, still rich as hell but once it warms up just runs like complete shit and eventually fouls the plugs ...

My compression is still like 140 all three 

26 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Wondering if my crank seals are bad??

Thing fires right up cold, still rich as hell but once it warms up just runs like complete shit and eventually fouls the plugs ...

My compression is still like 140 all three 

Most likely the needles. Bad seals will make it run dry. 

• Like 1