Yesterday was the day

Snake

49 minutes ago, Snake said:

"I am taking the rest of the month in sick leave and will be retiring as of December 31st."

"Fuck Joe Biden"

signed - The old lady.

41 years of service. Forced out for a disease she has already had and have immunity.

I'm over joyed for her....

Excellent!  :bc:

And yup!

Caught a news report yesterday saying those of us who retired during the scamdemic should return to work, not enough people are working and those who could retire and did so early is causing big labor shortage problems.  Good for anyone who can retire, they earned it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

Caught a news report yesterday saying those of us who retired during the scamdemic should return to work, not enough people are working and those who could retire and did so early is causing big labor shortage problems.  Good for anyone who can retire, they earned it. 

You all need to get back to work and support all those retards that don't want to!!!  NOW!!!

17 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

Abso-fucking-lutely!!  My boss is retiring at the end of the month - she could have easily gone a few more years, but all the drama surrounding COVID and how it impacts us with being forced to work from home and the fallout from Biden's EO on federal contractors ... it's not for hers to worry about any longer.  More power to anyone who said screw it, and pulled the pin ... good for them!!

1 hour ago, Doomxz600 said:

issue is going to be when the market turns and lots of these people are not as secure as they think.  Snakes and wife have a different situation but many are relying on the stock market keeping humming along not guaranteed pensions.  Esp those in their 50's who have to pay for health insurance.  it is the reason even when i stop managing people i will sell a bit to keep company insurance for awhile,   we have a bunch that work PT for that reason

27 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

issue is going to be when the market turns and lots of these people are not as secure as they think.  Snakes and wife have a different situation but many are relying on the stock market keeping humming along not guaranteed pensions.  Esp those in their 50's who have to pay for health insurance.  it is the reason even when i stop managing people i will sell a bit to keep company insurance for awhile,   we have a bunch that work PT for that reason

I'd think...or maybe hope that these people were smart enough to seek guidance and security on their investment portfolio before they bailed out.  But, we all saw what happened the last time.  smh.  What can you do?  Rinse and repeat.

Just now, Zambroski said:

I'd think...or maybe hope that these people were smart enough to seek guidance and security on their investment portfolio before they bailed out.  But, we all saw what happened the last time.  smh.  What can you do?  Rinse and repeat.

people in general are not that smart.  look at some of the guys who think on a million they can retire at 50 and live a decent life similar to what they currently around these sites.   no clue.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

people in general are not that smart.  look at some of the guys who think on a million they can retire at 50 and live a decent life similar to what they currently around these sites.   no clue.  

Better live pretty skimpy right now.  Ramen comes in many decent flavors.  Buying by the case is the best deal.  Maybe as a treat, a sirloin once a week.

Funny though...I was watching some shit on youtube a bit ago on how far a million will go if you do it right.  It can work but, you ain't gonna be globe trotting and shoving caviar and fine wines down you gullet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SkisNH said:

Rule of 4%

I think it can be done if you are disciplined enough I guess.....and live cheap with no debt.  Insurance and taxes are the killers....always have been and always will be.  But damn, you gotta really hate working to live that kinda skimpy.  One major "uh-oh" and the whole thing can crumble.

Still, let's not forget, many retire every year on much, MUCH less than a cool $1M

34 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I see alotta people retiring on a million, and less.  Some times they don't have a choice.  Pensions, outside income, spending habits, matter alot.  Anyone with at least a half million should consider putting 20-30% into a variable annuity with a guaranteed lifetime withdrawal.  If they're older than 65, maybe a fixed with a glwb.  Stay away from indexed or any annuity that you lose control of your $.  Annuities have gotten a bad wrap from people over selling them or the investor not completely understanding how they work.  But its a great strategy for offsetting market risk.

3 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Rule of 4%

Bah.  :bc: 

Yep pensions as everything else is a crap shoot, did Edron and 911 teach you nothing ? Now that's lost on kids these days along with no earning or savings during this scam as you do not make up for money you did not earn. 

Biggest problem is insurance right now for most folks who go early, for me it wasn't a problem. If that wasn't covered another job would be required and not a part time gig as they normally don't offer that. I know most of my peers are doing something to fill gaps and I keep getting job offers LOL. Employers know my generation will come to work and do the job without drama.  

Not that I have too but I might do a little side gig, I can only ride motorcycles,hunt,fish and sled so much. I was thinking about working a charter boat in the summer as a deck hand untangling lines and baiting hooks and I'm sure by end of summer if I do a good job I can work myself up to masterbaiter !

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I see alotta people retiring on a million, and less.  Some times they don't have a choice.  Pensions, outside income, spending habits, matter alot.  Anyone with at least a half million should consider putting 20-30% into a variable annuity with a guaranteed lifetime withdrawal.  If they're older than 65, maybe a fixed with a glwb.  Stay away from indexed or any annuity that you lose control of your $.  Annuities have gotten a bad wrap from people over selling them or the investor not completely understanding how they work.  But its a great strategy for

Bah.  :bc: 

I know there are people that can do it but the guys here like their toys and other hobbies which makes it much tougher to do.  IMO 1 million at 50 is going to be tough without a pension kicking in by 65 esp when the market goes through it's normal cycles.   for the last 10 years it's been fine,  shit my parents have lived their best life and have more now than when my old man retired in 11 but thats with the biggest bull market in history to make that happen. Wifes MIL who was same age as my ad on the other hand was down to her last 10 grand in savings (401k was literally under $1) 5 years into retirement.   Finally settled the estate,  they split just over 40k from sale of the condo in IL and 2k from savings.

14 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Better live pretty skimpy right now.  Ramen comes in many decent flavors.  Buying by the case is the best deal.  Maybe as a treat, a sirloin once a week.

Funny though...I was watching some shit on youtube a bit ago on how far a million will go if you do it right.  It can work but, you ain't gonna be globe trotting and shoving caviar and fine wines down you gullet.

Here in the NE it's expensive to live.    i could make 5k a month work in a low cost area like maybe panama or mexico but TBH i can't think of anywhere here that will let me eat out as a wish and have hobbies on that income.  So now i am talking needing 10k a month after taxes and insurance to live a similar lifestyle(adjusted for inflation) to now.  Why retire if i have to live like a pauper,  might as well work for something to do to fill the days when there is no money to fill them with fun.    

5 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

I know there are people that can do it but the guys here like their toys and other hobbies which makes it much tougher to do.  IMO 1 million at 50 is going to be tough without a pension kicking in by 65 esp when the market goes through it's normal cycles.   for the last 10 years it's been fine,  shit my parents have lived their best life and have more now than when my old man retired in 11 but thats with the biggest bull market in history to make that happen. Wifes MIL who was same age as my ad on the other hand was down to her last 10 grand in savings (401k was literally under $1) 5 years into retirement.   Finally settled the estate,  they split just over 40k from sale of the condo in IL and 2k from savings.

Here in the NE it's expensive to live.    i could make 5k a month work in a low cost area like maybe panama or mexico but TBH i can't think of anywhere here that will let me eat out as a wish and have hobbies on that income.  So now i am talking needing 10k a month after taxes and insurance to live a similar lifestyle(adjusted for inflation) to now.  Why retire if i have to live like a pauper,  might as well work for something to do to fill the days when there is no money to fill them with fun.    

If you needmore than 10k to enjoy... you got too many bills...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

well one thing I’ve figured out for sure is I’m gonna need a pretty strong cash flow if I’m going to continue keeping a 40 foot boat at the marina with slip fees, maintenance, etc..  :lol: 

sell it and find a friend with one like it..lol

22 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

I'm glad I retired when I did as I'd hate like hell wearing a mask for a 10 hr shift!

I was called during the height of the plan-demic and asked if I was willing to help out if required. The lady couldn't offer me any other info so I told her, based on what they tell me if they do call, I'd take it from there. Never did get the call, thankfully. 

30 minutes ago, Snake said:

If you needmore than 10k to enjoy... you got too many bills...

And are living in an area that clearly doesn't want you there. No thanks.  I'll be putting MN in my rear view when the time is right too.  This state is lost and I don't see it coming back.