What was the fastest stock 2 stroke sled?

Rod

5 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I gotta ride with Snake this year, he's got one.  i think he has a 137.  Big steam.

They’re actually a pretty nice trail sled too. I don’t think I’d ever choose one over my RR in the rough stuff, but in the looping corners they actually do quite well 

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

SRX's should be faster.   Lower to the ground, 1" lug track. 

Same with the t cat

Ive heard from several people that the T cat is faster. But man they need to work on their colours and decals 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

They’re actually a pretty nice trail sled too. I don’t think I’d ever choose one over my RR in the rough stuff, but in the looping corners they actually do quite well 

That 137 skid is as good as any I've ridden, my bro has had a couple of them.

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

That 137 skid is as good as any I've ridden, my bro has had a couple of them.

Yeah. I honestly don’t get the praise for the R motion over the cat skid. I’ve actually never been in love with doos rear skids. They’re just ok 

Edited by ACE

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Boosted clutched and geared correctly they can reach well into the 130's.  

Ha, ha, I ran 134.9 MPH, on radar, way back in 1992, on a local plowed lake, called Graham Lake with a 1992 Yamaha V-max, that had a huge turbo installed on it. It belonged to a guy by the name of Stanley Parker, from around the Alex Bay area. My buddy, who was about 20 lbs lighter, ran 135.2 mph with it a little later in the day. That particular sled blew up on the average at least once every week-end, but the owner didn,t care. He was just interested in getting the sled to the highest radar number possible. I had a stock V-max, and with decent aftermarket clutching from  Rickards Performance, could just beat my brothers 617 mach 1, as long as I didn,t have to let off the throttle. If I had to let off so I cold steer, I lost. The clutch kit I had wouldn,t back shift, but was great for ice dragging.

• Like 1

There’s a big difference between a low old triple with a .5” track on ice abd a modern sled on snow 

I only really report what my sleds do on a groomed trail, on snow, in normal trail riding conditions 

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, ACE said:

There’s a big difference between a low old triple with a .5” track on ice abd a modern sled on snow 

I only really report what my sleds do on a groomed trail, on snow, in normal trail riding conditions 

No doubt its a huge difference.  Really hard packed roads are almost as fast as bare ice as you get some lubrication.

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Trouble is, how accurate are the stock sled speedos ? For some strange reason, they never read lower than actual speed , it,s usually 15-20 kph higher. For some the mind can easily be tricked. A radar gun shoots down the BS very quickly. I,ve seen many guys scratch their heads til they bleed, trying to figure out why their sleds are so slow, when they actually run them past a radar gun. It,s kinda comical listening to all the excuses guys come up with, when they actually run past the gun, and they then realize just how slow their sleds actually are, compared to their faster buddies, especially when they are running different brands of sleds. 

6 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Trouble is, how accurate are the stock sled speedos ? For some strange reason, they never read lower than actual speed , it,s usually 15-20 kph higher. For some the mind can easily be tricked. A radar gun shoots down the BS very quickly. I,ve seen many guys scratch their heads til they bleed, trying to figure out why their sleds are so slow, when they actually run them past a radar gun. It,s kinda comical listening to all the excuses guys come up with, when they actually run past the gun, and they then realize just how slow their sleds actually are, compared to their faster buddies, especially when they are running different brands of sleds. 

Cat speedos have always been close. Doos used to to until the XP. Then they were 10% out and they still haven’t fixed it 

Yammi and Polaris were terrible. Nothing slowed an XLT down as bad as gps did 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Everything said cc for cc the 03 Firecats were God damn quick and fast on top.   Giant killer for sure.

Very efficient chassis 

that 13.5 wide track kinda killed them on snow drags now though. Can’t get moving quick enough 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Everything said cc for cc the 03 Firecats were God damn quick and fast on top.   Giant killer for sure.

They run awesome with the 900 kit installed on them. A buddy of mine had a sleeper one, that would run 125 MPH +, on ice, on radar, all day long. A lot of guys scratching their heads trying to figure that one out.  

If you ain,t cheatin, you ain,t winning ! LOL

Edited by Frostynuts

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

They definitely hauled ass and were a pretty radical redesign from the ZRs for sure.  I had a couple buds with them and they struggled with a good trail set up.

4 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

I'd never quote mph/kph unless it was on GPS or rader.  They're all off.  Yam speedos in the Apex days were 14 mph off at top speed.  :lol: 

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Highmark said:

It was my first sled and I still have it. I bought it back then because it felt and acted light. I hated the first Revs as they had way to much weight over the front skis. 

On 12/8/2021 at 9:29 PM, GreenStreak said:

You are correct sir. Patti Olson still owns the record for 2000 ft, 124.4 mph

Yep, she owns the record but no longer owns the sled.   I know who does. 

On 12/7/2021 at 10:34 PM, ACE said:

I think it was the mock c 1000. 

I think it was the 2005-07 Mach Z 1000.

Some say it was the 1998 AC 1000 T-Cat

I never had a chance to race one, so I don't know

I do know my 2007 Z left my buddy in the distance on Back Lake, on his 2005 Yam 4 stroke, ( predecessor to the apex ).

I do know that I ate sleds mercilessly on Lake Massabesic.

You asked STOCK 2-STROKE, I'll say MACH Z 1000. 

TOP SPEED.......05-07 MACH Z 1000. 

Mine SHIFTED-OUT at 115 on Massabesic, and took off. Yes, I got scared shitless and shut her down!! 

Just now, Polaris 550 said:

I think it was the 2005-07 Mach Z 1000.

Some say it was the 1998 AC 1000 T-Cat

I never had a chance to race one, so I don't know

I do know my 2007 Z left my buddy in the distance on Back Lake, on his 2005 Yam 4 stroke, ( predecessor to the apex ).

I do know that I ate sleds mercilessly on Lake Massabesic.

You asked STOCK 2-STROKE, I'll say MACH Z 1000. 

TOP SPEED.......05-07 MACH Z 1000. 

Mine SHIFTED-OUT at 115 on Massabesic, and took off. Yes, I got scared shitless and shut her down!! 

It’s close between the two but if you lined up and raced I say the Mach gets it 

man. I should find one for the collection.

and they were ridiculously good on fuel. About the same as buddies 600 SDI

On 12/8/2021 at 5:57 PM, DriftBusta said:

They definitely hauled ass and were a pretty radical redesign from the ZRs for sure.  I had a couple buds with them and they struggled with a good trail set up.

Yeah if you didn't like the front end coming up you were SOL.  I still really enjoyed them on the trails.  Had to ride them a bit different but I've always like a light front end that comes up about 6-12" when coming out of corners.