Procross exhaust wearing into oil tank

teamgreen02

On a ctech I think the oil pump is part of the reservoir so it wouldn't be as simple as a new tank install.  Bdx/SSI does sell a whole tank kit for the ctechs though, one that the pump mounts to.  Designed for belt drive setups but you can just run the oil tank and keep your chain drive.

With that said I'd just fix the rubbing issue.  Ditching the whole tank just for the rubbing is not the best way to do this.  I'd put a different can on before that.  Or dent the stick can.  But I'm sure you can just adjust the can position, it wasn't always rubbing like that from day one so something must have moved.

6 minutes ago, mnstang said:

On a ctech I think the oil pump is part of the reservoir so it wouldn't be as simple as a new tank install.  Bdx/SSI does sell a whole tank kit for the ctechs though, one that the pump mounts to.  Designed for belt drive setups but you can just run the oil tank and keep your chain drive.

With that said I'd just fix the rubbing issue.  Ditching the whole tank just for the rubbing is not the best way to do this.  I'd put a different can on before that.  Or dent the stick can.  But I'm sure you can just adjust the can position, it wasn't always rubbing like that from day one so something must have moved.

This.  It can be separated but not untricky and not rewarding enough to do so.  Just fix the rub @teamgreen02  you are capable enough for sure.

16 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

This.  It can be separated but not untricky and not rewarding enough to do so.  Just fix the rub @teamgreen02  you are capable enough for sure.

The plan is to fix the rubbing but was hoping you guys would have a more creative solution than me using JB weld, exhaust wrap, and bailing wire.

16 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

The plan is to fix the rubbing but was hoping you guys would have a more creative solution than me using JB weld, exhaust wrap, and bailing wire.

Don’t be stupid.  If duct tape isn’t enough, just burn it and collect insurance.  Do it up here.  We’ll make Johnsonvilles.

51 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Don’t be stupid.  If duct tape isn’t enough, just burn it and collect insurance.  Do it up here.  We’ll make Johnsonvilles.

Upon closer inspection, I think ya boy screwed up on assembly last year and put number 19 back in the wrong spot. 

With my stupidity, pure strength, and knuckle skin defying determination, I was able to stretch the spring far enough even though the holder was mounted to the bolt below the correct one.  That pulled the exhaust can back tight against the oil tank. 

image.thumb.png.a234fc5251a40e415fa30d15719e2723.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Upon closer inspection, I think ya boy screwed up on assembly last year and put number 19 back in the wrong spot. 

With my stupidity, pure strength, and knuckle skin defying determination, I was able to stretch the spring far enough even though the holder was mounted to the bolt below the correct one.  That pulled the exhaust can back tight against the oil tank. 

:lol:Meathead.

You should see what I’ve fucked up with strength and determination.  I think I am some type of world record holder….under the idiocy heading. :lmao:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

:lol:Meathead.

You should see what I’ve fucked up with strength and determination.  I think I am some type of world record holder….under the idiocy heading. :lmao:

A good mechanic would have figured out something wasn't right during assembly and looked for witness marks.  As an engineer, I just assume the other engineer screwed up and its not my fault.  :lol:

Could be worse.  I could be hauling my sled back to the Polaris dealer for rubbing fuel lines or worrying if it is going to spontaneously combust at any moment.

image.thumb.png.47055a55f88d43cca3e6421bd34f85e2.png

Edited by teamgreen02
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

A good mechanic would have figured out something wasn't right during assembly and looked for witness marks.  As an engineer, I just assume the other engineer screwed up and its not my fault.  :lol:

Could be worse.  I could be hauling my sled back to the Polaris dealer for rubbing fuel lines or worrying if it is going to spontaneously combust at any moment.

image.thumb.png.47055a55f88d43cca3e6421bd34f85e2.png

It can always be worse with a Polaris.  

• Haha 1

At Hay Days the guy at BD booth said you could use a different bigger tank so it must be possible.  But ya is it worth it just to avoid some rubbing, probably not.  However, it sure does free up some space and weight if you do.  

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Glad you fingered her out.

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2021 at 5:40 PM, cats19 said:

At Hay Days the guy at BD booth said you could use a different bigger tank so it must be possible.  But ya is it worth it just to avoid some rubbing, probably not.  However, it sure does free up some space and weight if you do.  

stock oil tank is pretty light, its magnesium

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 5:41 PM, krom said:

stock oil tank is pretty light, its magnesium

The tank is light, the extra oil I'm sure makes more of a difference.

I was able to make a JB weld patch.  With relocating the spring holder to the correct spot it looks like it won't be a problem anymore.  New top end went in on Sunday.  Fired it up last night.  

@Zambroski don't judge me based on the cleanliness of my engine compartment.  This ol' girl has almost 9,000 miles on her.  

image.thumb.png.32e92fe1564da24367b6db8545603e56.png

image.thumb.png.c1b573de257e0c1c60cae352cea624ec.png

10 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

The tank is light, the extra oil I'm sure makes more of a difference.

I was able to make a JB weld patch.  With relocating the spring holder to the correct spot it looks like it won't be a problem anymore.  New top end went in on Sunday.  Fired it up last night.  

@Zambroski don't judge me based on the cleanliness of my engine compartment.  This ol' girl has almost 9,000 miles on her.  

image.thumb.png.32e92fe1564da24367b6db8545603e56.png

image.thumb.png.c1b573de257e0c1c60cae352cea624ec.png

Been a great sled!  :bc: