Procross exhaust wearing into oil tank

teamgreen02

Anyone ever see this?  I noticed the exhaust sat up tight to the oil reservoir since new but never really saw any of the wear until this year.

Any thoughts on the best repair?  I'm thinking I'll scrub it down with brake clean and apply JB weld over the damaged part of the oil reservoir.  That will keep it from wearing any further in and developing a crack or leak. 

Anything I can put between the exhaust and tank to prevent wear in the future?  Probably best I just cut that wire mesh out of there at this point too.

2016 ZR6000RR 

8500 miles

image.thumb.png.6df21ed26aee38c72ad7d9b538129107.png

image.thumb.png.68bcc55667f6f30c9330cb0799c45d13.png

Edited by teamgreen02

3 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Tagging the Cat guys since this forum doesn't seem much traffic.

@krom @Not greg b @Zambroski @racinfarmer @Crnr2Crnr @fortune46x

@fortune46x just posted a oil bag on Facebook yesterday.

Then Selby started bitch slapping him.  :lol:

Screenshot_20211206-100759.png

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 minute ago, teamgreen02 said:

Fellers, this machine has 8500 miles on er.  I'm not gonna run with a 2 quart system.  I already get range anxiety on those long days when the light comes on.

Spare qt in the tunnel bag?

3 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Fellers, this machine has 8500 miles on er.  I'm not gonna run with a 2 quart system.  I already get range anxiety on those long days when the light comes on.

ah yeah thats a deal breaker 

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

Who makes it?

TKI makes it TKICNC.com

45 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Anyone ever see this?  I noticed the exhaust sat up tight to the oil reservoir since new but never really saw any of the wear until this year.

Any thoughts on the best repair?  I'm thinking I'll scrub it down with brake clean and apply JB weld over the damaged part of the oil reservoir.  That will keep it from wearing any further in and developing a crack or leak. 

Anything I can put between the exhaust and tank to prevent wear in the future?  Probably best I just cut that wire mesh out of there at this point too.

2016 ZR6000RR 

8500 miles

I would bend an aluminum or copper shield and attach it to those bolts or screws in the top of the picture.  

• Like 1

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

What year is yours?  Seems Alex has a brand new used take off for sale.  :lol2:

2016.  Limping it along one more year. 

Doing the top end right now so I have everything apart and noticed this.  8500 miles and can still see the hone marks on the cylinders.  No scuffs on cylinders or pistons so just freshening things up. 

Could use a few tips from the pros like @fortune46x.  You build up back up or just tear em apart?

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I would bend an aluminum or copper shield and attach it to those bolts or screws in the top of the picture.  

I like it.  Have to take a walk by the scrap bins around our machine shop this week.  Don't use much copper but should be able to find a piece of aluminum.

23 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

8500 miles?  Holy mackeral!  Isnt' getting 5x as much as any Poo out there enough for you?  Wanna see a Anys sled with 8500 miles on it?  Neither do I but if we did, they don't exist or thev've had 9 different owners who have made it their own money pit hell!  :lmao:

16 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

@Zambroski could be interested in this though.  He's not gonna go through 2 quarts.

No.  But I can say I don't like having an oil tank.  What a PIA!

• Gold Member
57 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

2016 ZR6000RR 

8500 miles

image.thumb.png.68bcc55667f6f30c9330cb0799c45d13.png

Try K-tools q-bond stuff works pretty damn good

28 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

8500 miles?  Holy mackeral!  Isnt' getting 5x as much as any Poo out there enough for you?  Wanna see a Anys sled with 8500 miles on it?  Neither do I but if we did, they don't exist or thev've had 9 different owners who have made it their own money pit hell!  :lmao:

No.  But I can say I don't like having an oil tank.  What a PIA!

There are a few but most got major engine rebuilds at 5000 miles.  Maybe the 600s go longer, I don't know.  I need something newer but do I really want another Cat that's the same as what I got now just not worn out?

I have to say the durability and reliability of this machine is pretty good.  First couple years I'd tear it all apart and not find anything really wrong.  Now with a few miles on her I'm finding some stuff I'm glad I caught.

53 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

@Zambroski could be interested in this though.  He's not gonna go through 2 quarts.

well no , once he hits the parking lot of culvers hes done for the day one way or another. 

41 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

2016.  Limping it along one more year. 

Doing the top end right now so I have everything apart and noticed this.  8500 miles and can still see the hone marks on the cylinders.  No scuffs on cylinders or pistons so just freshening things up. 

Could use a few tips from the pros like @fortune46x.  You build up back up or just tear em apart?

I've done quite a few of them on my own , my job at the races is just tear them down but if I am sealing them then I stand there while the mechanic assembles them. 

2 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

I've done quite a few of them on my own , my job at the races is just tear them down but if I am sealing them then I stand there while the mechanic assembles them. 

Question, what do the pro guys use to clean up the old gaskets?  I did it with a razer blade yesterday, takes quite awhile.  I was thinking those guys doing this every weekend must have a better way?  

They use new gaskets and o-rings every time?

Just now, teamgreen02 said:

Question, what do the pro guys use to clean up the old gaskets?  I did it with a razer blade yesterday, takes quite awhile.  I was thinking those guys doing this every weekend must have a better way?  

They use new gaskets and o-rings every time?

new gaskets yes, o rings on occasion , usually the sled dont have that much time on them (most engines are rebuilt every three rounds or so unless your Elias) a good gasket scraper goes a long way - personally I have a brass putty knife I put an edge on that works wonders. 

Never seen that on a Procross.  You Zambo it in a Culvers dooryard?

7 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

There are a few but most got major engine rebuilds at 5000 miles.  Maybe the 600s go longer, I don't know.  I need something newer but do I really want another Cat that's the same as what I got now just not worn out?

I have to say the durability and reliability of this machine is pretty good.  First couple years I'd tear it all apart and not find anything really wrong.  Now with a few miles on her I'm finding some stuff I'm glad I caught.

600's can go a long time.

The one 2015 has pretty much 10k on it with no problems.  The other needed a long block at 7500, not sure why.

The race sleds get top ends more often then I care to think about.  

14 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Never seen that on a Procross.  You Zambo it in a Culvers dooryard?

600's can go a long time.

The one 2015 has pretty much 10k on it with no problems.  The other needed a long block at 7500, not sure why.

The race sleds get top ends more often then I care to think about.  

Probably have done worse to this sled but it's still straight as far as I know.  I'll need to take a closer look at it when it goes back together.

The 600 CTEC is a strong runner for sure.  Not as much chooch as the new Patriot 650 but we will see how the reliability on those things is.