Changing clutch weights on a Matryx 650

Enduro900

Ok guys I did it……I drove 12 hrs each way to pick up a used 2021 VR1 650 137” (sled has 2500 miles at a dealer in Duluth MN).

I’ve been kicking myself since April for not snowchecking, and I really wanted to ride a Matryx this season.

So apparently this dealer got a few 2021 VR1’s with 2-up seats via a rental program out west.

Obviously its too far for me to go look, so we work everything out over the phone. I ask “do you guys go through these sleds to check for damage, and make sure everything is ready to go”……”Yes” is his answer.

I get there Saturday morning, and apparently I was dealing with the GM and he is not there that day, so no one knows anything except the finance guy.  All is good on the paperwork, sign and then go to load the sled:

Sled wont start (they put in a new battery)

came with a 2-up seat, but none of the handwarmer/heated visor wires are hooked up (they fiddle around then determine they don’t have the right wire harness in stock so they will have to order it).

So probably almost an hour going through the above.

Then the sled is loaded in my trailer.  As I am about to leave, one of the guys comes up and hands me clutch weights “you might want to check these as the sled might still be set up for high altitude riding”

I must say this was one of the WORST experiences I have been through, and I spent 24 hrs driving on top of it.  The sled looks fine overall, and I did opt to go with a 4-year Polaris warranty just in case….but WOW…..I never expected to drop $$$ (yes even used it wasn’t cheap) and then now I have to wire the 2-up seat and also change the clutch weights…..in a COLD GARAGE lol………

So this is part rant, and part question about how hard is it to change the weights?  I watched a couple of YouTube videos (AXYS sleds), and one person takes the belt off and then takes the front clutch cover off, and another video they just stick something into the spring to compress it I guess??

BTW, any of you waiting on Matryx sleds…..coming back through the UP (driving through a blizzard) i woke up to 8-10 inches near where I was staying so took the sled out for about 30 miles………and frankly the sled is SWEET!!!!

Edited by Enduro900
  • Like 1

Well .. FWIW - congrats on the new sled (despite the experience).  I hope the purchase experience is the worst of it all & owning it and riding it puts a huge smile on your face.

As far as the clutch weights go, don't stress yourself out over that ... it's easy enough (even if having to do it in an unheated garage).  I've done it all 3 ways ... clutch removal altogether, clutch cover removal, and prying the spider open.  Honestly, the easiest way is to take off the cover - you just need to be careful and remove the outer cover bolts SLOWLY (and try to go in a star pattern like you'd do with lug nuts on a wheel).  Put an X on the cover with a marker and the sheave so you match it up when you put it back together - or find the "X" that's already on the cover and put an X on the sheave to match it.  Once the cover is off you have easy access to the weights and pins to swap out. 

Shoot me a PM and if you need help, give me a call (I can give you my number).

Side question - I assume they GAVE you the weights vs. making you pay for them?  If that's the case, look on the bright side - you got a free set of weights!! LOL

Edited by Bontz

Thanks Bontz!  And Yes, they did throw in the stock weights……and some mirrors, and the 2-up seat foot-rests….and a second set of keys LOL….NOT to mention I got a VR1 (since there is NONE available anywhere else….I wasn’t going to walk away lol….)

11 hours ago, Enduro900 said:

Thanks Bontz!  And Yes, they did throw in the stock weights……and some mirrors, and the 2-up seat foot-rests….and a second set of keys LOL….NOT to mention I got a VR1 (since there is NONE available anywhere else….I wasn’t going to walk away lol….)

I don’t think you’re that far from me. I’m working some stupid hours right now but if you get too worried about it, you could bring it up and I could do it in your trailer. No big deal to swap them. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I don’t think you’re that far from me. I’m working some stupid hours right now but if you get too worried about it, you could bring it up and I could do it in your trailer. No big deal to swap them. 

Thanks Saya!  Maybe I’ll attempt it but look to you if I screw something up lol…….

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, racerdave said:

For the LP and UP of Mi and Wisconsin, swap/sell those stock 10-66 weights and run 10-68 weights. Out west no idea.

Hey thanks for chiming in…

I run strictly trails, mostly 40-60 mph.  Can you elaborate on running the 10-68’s instead?

Also, should i thread-lock the clutch bolts when finished?

thx

Edited by Enduro900

Thanks for chiming in as i was about to lol……hand tighten ok?  I dont think I have a torque wrench but I do have an impact lol…..

BTW I’m picking up a Renegade XRS with Smart Shox on Monday so I’m going to solve the “which rides better the Matryx or the G4 with smart shox” mystery myself over the next few weeks lol….

Ok so I chickened out and Paid Lakeside Motorsports to change the clutch weights and wire the 2-up seat for two reasons:

-The other dealer in MN that I bought the sled from sent me a $500 refund to use for labor and to reimburse me for my time taken the sled in

_I don’t have a heated workshop otherwise I would have!

So 10-58’s we’re in it…..They asked me about springs but I have no idea if those were changed and no one at the other dealer mentioned anything about springs so who knows….

Picked up a 2022 Renegade XRS with Smart Shox but the bad news is the controller is not in…..They are telling me it is set to the medium setting but I’m 260lbs and when I sat on it, it didn’t move much lol….

Any idea what I should expect now that the 10-68’s are in?  I did put 90 miles on 2 weeks ago with the high-alt weights…..

Thanks again guys for chiming in I appreciate it!