Are kids today a little too spoiled?

33 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Never happened for my age group in my town, 80’s highschool,  even with most of the wealthier families. Most kids drove around in shitboxes. ‘Okay’ hotrods dad helped work on with the kid.The wealthier kids drove 200k+ mile volvo wagons with no floors. Lolololol Hand me down city. 

Edited by CFM

• Platinum Contributing Member

My first car was a piece of shit. So was my second and third. In fact I didn't get my license until 17 because I didn't wash a pot that was in the sink. Caught my father on the wrong day :lol: 

My dad was really generous. Got me my first car ‘88 Ford Festiva… He said here you go! Oh, by the way, it needs a motor you’ll have to buy one at the junk yard and put it in yourself. $300 and my first motor swap. Hated it at the time but as I got older I realized what he was doing. I respect him for it everyday and I’m now in my 40’s. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Rich people's kids have been spoiled forever nothing new here.

I’ve paid for everything I wanted that wasn’t essential since I was 14.

Not all few know how to raise there spawn 

Marry Davis of the cambria family think he is worth around 1.7 billion 

Well any way old farm boy.

When his kid was in High school made him get and keep a job and buy his own car.  Worked at a car wash one of my guys managed . Marty would come in and tell him to make sure the kid is not slacking and if he was to let him know .

Marry is a pretty cool dude 

• Like 1

My first car was a total pos I bought when I was 15 and parked it all around the hood cuz the rents did not know I owned a car . 

Oh and it was a 4 speed Aston marina with no reverse lol and no keys for the door locks . 

My first car was nice,  stupid decision should have bought a beater.   next few were beaters but i bought them all myself.   to this day no ones bought me a car.  Wife on the other hand got 3 from her grandparents, paid for the next 2 and the last 10 i paid for. 

I bought my kids their cars but they had jobs to pay for the gas etc even with all the extracurriculars they did.  They  were spoiled though for sure.     

48 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Not all few know how to raise there spawn 

Marry Davis of the cambria family think he is worth around 1.7 billion 

Well any way old farm boy.

When his kid was in High school made him get and keep a job and buy his own car.  Worked at a car wash one of my guys managed . Marty would come in and tell him to make sure the kid is not slacking and if he was to let him know .

Marry is a pretty cool dude 

The basketball player shaq's kid asked him why he has to get a job if they are rich.

Shaq's reply, we are not rich , I am rich. Go get a job

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My first car was a VW carmen gia. Paid $75 for it. THen before I even got my license I found a 68 mercury couger. So that was what I drove when I got license. Paid for all of them, including my mini bike when I was 10

1 hour ago, CFM said:

Never happened for my age group in my town, 80’s highschool,  even with most of the wealthier families. Most kids drove around in shitboxes. ‘Okay’ hotrods dad helped work on with the kid.The wealthier kids drove 200k+ mile volvo wagons with no floors. Lolololol Hand me down city. 

So long as it got from point A to point B.

:lol:

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

The basketball player shaq's kid asked him why he has to get a job if they are rich.

Shaq's reply, we are not rich , I am rich. Go get a job

LOL ... I think that was actually from the Cosby Show way back when.  But still, funny & good on Shaq if he told his kid to get a job.

• Like 1

My old man said I could have any vehicle I wanted as long as I could pay for it and gas.  Insurance was on them as long as I kept up my grades and stayed out of trouble with no tickets and whatnot.

Found a Jeep Wrangler I wanted for like $5k, old man said no way, and one day he came home with his friend's old "hunting" Jeep Cherokee and $1500 was missing from my savings. 

He did find me a Jeep, just not the one I was after.  

Not sure if that thing was any safer then the Wrangler I wanted.  Only had to weld the driver's door back on once.

I bought the cars, they pay the insurance.  Teaches them to be responsible for their own actions.  If they fuck up they won’t be able to afford the insurance and the cars will be parked.  And it keeps my rates reasonable.  Seen a few people we know where the kids have gotten huge speeding tickets, cars impounded for stunt driving etc.  Cost the parents tons of money.  

My son bought his first truck last winter at 16 with his own money.  95 f350 powerjoke.  Bought a 12 valve p-pump and a G56 transmission since, and tore the head off the motor and studded it, cleaned it up painted it.  Drove up until a month ago sold the powerjoke for $2500.  It's now stripped down to the bare frame and is waiting sandblast and paint.  He's learning a lot working and saving money and doing it as cheaply as possible, but I warned him beforehand of the potential hidden costs.

Now in the meantime, i've lost the use of my 97 ram :flush:.  Oh well, he helps out alot and there could be worse things he could be doing.

• Like 1

I was given my first car if you could call it that.  My mom's car was hit in the front from another vehicle while she was stopped.  My dad bought her a new car.  I got the damaged one, a 65 Dodge Coronet 4 door.  We replaced the fender and the rest of the damage stuff stayed just like it was.  Well some of you might remember back then when LEOs set up vehicle inspections along roadways, as luck would have it one day, I got waved into one.  They did the checklist on my car and I had 11 things wrong with it, from no horn, blinkers not working, bald tires, wipers squirters not working, bumper not bolted properly and etc.  I got a 10 days fix it or ticket.  We decided to get another vehicle instead of trying to fix it.  I ended up with a 71 Demon 340 that I put the down payment on and made the monthly payments as I was working at a restaurant.  My parents paid my insurance on it.  Then I foolishly traded in it on a 75 Dodge Tradesman van.  Still kicking myself for getting rid of that car

Edited by tnts4me
  • Like 1

Over the last year and a half we fixed this up for the oldest boys first truck.  I bought it for $800 with a burned valve.  Cab, frame, doors were in excellent condition.  Box was screwed and fenders not so great.  We pulled the heads in the driveway and got it running right.  Southern box, new fenders, complete paint, wheels, mirrors, weatherstrips, door hinges and a ton of odds and ends.  Mechanically it was pretty good but still took quite a bit to get everything right.  He paid all the parts himself.  Probably has more money in it than he could ever get out of it but that doesn’t matter because he says he’s never selling it.  And the time doing it together is priceless

F39F536D-F7BA-4CAD-8DD4-3A771FFF5084.jpeg

• Thanks 3

It’s obvious how unfair how the cars are distributed,,, we need a government program to make sure the politicians kids get the best cars and others should be grateful for the leftover Vegas and pintos that the ruling class has been so generous to bequeath the the unwashed heathens ….

5 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

Over the last year and a half we fixed this up for the oldest boys first truck.  I bought it for $800 with a burned valve.  Cab, frame, doors were in excellent condition.  Box was screwed and fenders not so great.  We pulled the heads in the driveway and got it running right.  Southern box, new fenders, complete paint, wheels, mirrors, weatherstrips, door hinges and a ton of odds and ends.  Mechanically it was pretty good but still took quite a bit to get everything right.  He paid all the parts himself.  Probably has more money in it than he could ever get out of it but that doesn’t matter because he says he’s never selling it.  And the time doing it together is priceless

F39F536D-F7BA-4CAD-8DD4-3A771FFF5084.jpeg

8 hundred eh?   I got 35 hundred and I’ll come get it. 🤔

just Kidding, 👍