Canada releases 50 million pounds from maple syrup reserve amid global shortage

Canada releases 50 million pounds from maple syrup reserve amid global shortage

Source: Market Watch

Canadian maple syrup producers are tapping the country’s emergency reserve of the sticky sweet stuff as it looks to meet demand amid a global shortage. The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers — a group known as the world’s maple syrup cartel and sometimes compared to OPEC's grip on oil — announced this week that it’s pulling some 50 million pounds of syrup from its strategic reserve. That’s the most the group has released from the reserve in a single season since 2008 and amounts to about half of the entire stockpile. 

Helene Normandin, spokeswoman for the group, which sets bulk syrup prices, caps production and controls the stockpile, said producers weren’t able to make enough syrup this year due to a warmer and shorter spring than expected. “That’s why the reserve is made, to never miss maple syrup. And we don’t want to miss maple syrup!” she told NPR. 

Normandin told Bloomberg that demand for maple syrup surged during the pandemic as people cooked more at home. Export sales reportedly rose to 113.5 million pounds between January and September — up a whopping 21 percent from a year earlier. At the same time, the consortium of maple syrup producers in Quebec saw production fall by 24 percent due to the uncharacteristically short and warm spring season. 

The strange weather hit maple syrup production particularly hard because tree sap is only able to be harvested during a short window when the temperature alternates between freezing and thawing. 

Read more: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/canada-releases-50-million-pounds-from-maple-syrup-reserve-amid-global-shortage-11637952230 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

This is hands down a award winning post. One of the greatest this forum has ever seen. A Hollywood script in the making.

Every MC post falls under that :snack: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

“The country is releasing its emergency reserves of maple syrup.”

I don’t even know what to say.  Jesus.

I didn't even know we had emergency reserves of Maple syrup. I wonder how many CDN's did?

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

“The country is releasing its emergency reserves of maple syrup.”

I don’t even know what to say.  Jesus.

I really need some pictures or videos of this. I picture guys in Canadian Goose jackets out in the hillsides digging up 55gal drums of maple gold ,while consuming large amounts of LaBatts. Of course Canadian Mounted police standing guard during this strategic operation.:lol:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, irv said:

I didn't even know we had emergency reserves of Maple syrup. I wonder how many CDN's did?

The ones that did are undoubtedly just as proud of “releasing their reserves” as MC is….and they all love their beta-ness also.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There was a good documentary on Netflix a while back called The Maple Syrup Heist. Its a good watch. It details the heist of $18.7 mil. of Syrup from the reserve but also shows the level of corruption in the Maple syrup industry.

• Like 1

The story following in was a interesting read about Moderna.  I did not know they had never had another drug even put in to testing let alone the market . And there stock was completely in the toilet and they had to sell a bunch of there stock at q9 bucks just to buy ingredients to start testing covid meds . With out covid they would be a non existent company right now . Theranos  comparisons were many 

4 hours ago, toslow said:

Not Me

Me as well.

53 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

LOL, I figured this would be a Onion or Bee spoof. Only in Canada. :lol:

X2

49 minutes ago, ACE said:

It’s actually fairly labour intensive to make real maple syrup and contributes to climate change 

Probably burn carbon to boil down the sap. 

D4eUUZlWkAc_HA7.jpg

• Thanks 1

Funny story.

Friends of mine, president of my sled club was getting a new hot tub delivered a couple Saturdays ago. 

Their well sucks so I filled a couple 1000L totes from my well in the shop, balanced and chlorinated the water. Pumped that water into a 425 gallon tank that fits in my pickup bed.

Get there, help put the tub in place, filled it, did the final wiring connection they had mostly in place. Started it up. Wanted nothing for any of the help/water etc. Said so.

Get home and I see a mason jar hidden beside my travel bag, passenger seat of truck, I run with that bag always. Spare socks, softie, clothes, boots, battery pack, phone cables etc. You do enough field service, you want a bag like this. Military training. Useful shit.

I bought a case of mason jars earlier that week for my wife to preserve stuff so I'm like shit, must have dropped a couple and here they are.

Nope, Christy snuck in two mason jars of maple syrup they make from their trees, and a Canadian Benjamin taped to the top of one.

Crafty sneak! I'm good for the year with quality maple syrup.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Woodtick said:

I really need some pictures or videos of this. I picture guys in Canadian Goose jackets out in the hillsides digging up 55gal drums of maple gold ,while consuming large amounts of LaBatts. Of course Canadian Mounted police standing guard during this strategic operation.:lol:

it's for real, complete with Syrup Cartels and the Strategic Reserve 

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There was a good documentary on Netflix a while back called The Maple Syrup Heist. Its a good watch. It details the heist of $18.7 mil. of Syrup from the reserve but also shows the level of corruption in the Maple syrup industry.

it was worldwide news back then, and no minor heist

1 hour ago, ACE said:

It’s actually fairly labour intensive to make real maple syrup and contributes to climate change 

There are a few operations near my camp. They use wood burners to boil it down.  They have the collection system figured out. Miles of plastic tubes. 

17 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

There are a few operations near my camp. They use wood burners to boil it down.  They have the collection system figured out. Miles of plastic tubes. 

Yep, the tap and buckets are only used by the little guys. The big operations use plastic tubing and a vacuum system now.

3 hours ago, Voodoo said:

Funny story.

Friends of mine, president of my sled club was getting a new hot tub delivered a couple Saturdays ago. 

Their well sucks so I filled a couple 1000L totes from my well in the shop, balanced and chlorinated the water. Pumped that water into a 425 gallon tank that fits in my pickup bed.

Get there, help put the tub in place, filled it, did the final wiring connection they had mostly in place. Started it up. Wanted nothing for any of the help/water etc. Said so.

Get home and I see a mason jar hidden beside my travel bag, passenger seat of truck, I run with that bag always. Spare socks, softie, clothes, boots, battery pack, phone cables etc. You do enough field service, you want a bag like this. Military training. Useful shit.

I bought a case of mason jars earlier that week for my wife to preserve stuff so I'm like shit, must have dropped a couple and here they are.

Nope, Christy snuck in two mason jars of maple syrup they make from their trees, and a Canadian Benjamin taped to the top of one.

Crafty sneak! I'm good for the year with quality maple syrup.

Sweet , there are some old tree's on my wife's family's land. Bro in law makes some and sets me up.