would a small bore engine in a modern chassis sled sell today?

WOW!!  Spending ~$5000 on my 12,000 mile 2018 XCR Switchback 800 for a new track, motor, clutches and other misc things isn't looking so bad after all.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2022 at 4:20 PM, ZR800efi said:

a revamped 500 cc ves like was in the old edge xcsp in a light chassis like the tweener evo chassis be pretty cool.

They don’t sell well. Skidoo has the 85 hp 2 stroke non pv engine sled. they also have it in the so called tweener sled. Excellent value but the 600/800 etech kills it in sales 

• Gold Member
35 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

They don’t sell well. Skidoo has the 85 hp 2 stroke non pv engine sled. they also have it in the so called tweener sled. Excellent value but the 600/800 etech kills it in sales 

i was thinking more in the 105 hp range.thats where that 500 fell in.

but unless its a very much lower price, yeah , 600 cc would be the one more would choose if there only seperated by a few dollars.the price difference would need to be significant

20 hours ago, ZR800efi said:

i was thinking more in the 105 hp range.thats where that 500 fell in.

but unless its a very much lower price, yeah , 600 cc would be the one more would choose if there only seperated by a few dollars.the price difference would need to be significant

It’s significantly less than an etech 600. If they wanted a 100hp class sled they could have one in about 5 minutes as the big 3 already make them for racing. The sled market has been flat for a decade and it is pretty much known what sells and what doesn’t now. As crappy as cat’s sales are, they have trimmed to their offering down to what 85% of the snowmobile market buys. when the economy slows down you will see the others trim down to similar speced sleds as cat. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

It’s significantly less than an etech 600. If they wanted a 100hp class sled they could have one in about 5 minutes as the big 3 already make them for racing. The sled market has been flat for a decade and it is pretty much known what sells and what doesn’t now. As crappy as cat’s sales are, they have trimmed to their offering down to what 85% of the snowmobile market buys. when the economy slows down you will see the others trim down to similar speced sleds as cat. 

i cant argue the markets tanking.i think with increased msrps and shittier and shittier winters, by only offering a 600 cc and 850 or 800 cc, there probably pricing alot of guys out of the market.

you tack on the retarded gas prices and you got a recipe for 'well fuck snowmobiling , i guess'.

I miss our 500 XC SP and still regret selling it.

As much as I admire Cat for bringing the 400 single to market (I've ridden it, and liked it), I think it will eventually fizzle.  I don't understand why Polaris still makes the 550.  Ski Doo knows how to make money with their detuned Rotax - that could be the blueprint for Polaris and whoever is left after Yamaha moves production across town to Argo.... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 10:59 PM, Premium said:

I agree with many here I'm not sure I see the viability.  I have an R-XC and it's an awesome sled...everything is there to be fun, aggressive, durable, and ultra capable. The power from the c-tec2 600 and it's characteristics are top notch for the displacement, but I certainly wouldn't want less.  So where to save money? I suppose I could live with a basic gauge, but I like the functionality and I'd maybe save a couple hundred? Unpainted tunnel could work to save a little but not much (and a painted tunnel is superior both in looks and snow shedding too).

The closest to what you're talking about is the sno pro 500, but as good as that sled was, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't admit it would be even better with a 600 (or more).

guess we'll have to wait and see what the story is here... ;)

Screenshot_20220720-072838.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2021 at 10:59 PM, Premium said:

I agree with many here I'm not sure I see the viability.  I have an R-XC and it's an awesome sled...everything is there to be fun, aggressive, durable, and ultra capable. The power from the c-tec2 600 and it's characteristics are top notch for the displacement, but I certainly wouldn't want less.  So where to save money? I suppose I could live with a basic gauge, but I like the functionality and I'd maybe save a couple hundred? Unpainted tunnel could work to save a little but not much (and a painted tunnel is superior both in looks and snow shedding too).

The closest to what you're talking about is the sno pro 500, but as good as that sled was, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't admit it would be even better with a 600 (or more).

next RXC looking like a hot ticket

On 7/20/2022 at 7:30 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

guess we'll have to wait and see what the story is here... ;)

Screenshot_20220720-072838.png

looks like the photoshopped Ski-Doo's weren't... :lol2:

On 7/20/2022 at 9:32 AM, Premium said:

I wonder how much weight they've dropped with the new platform....A 460lb modern day 08-11 sno pro with the ctec2 600 sounds like a party to me.

looks like we may have a party to attend...

well boys, guess we'll have to see what specific models they offer, the final details and price but I'm pretty certain I'm looking at my next sled here... 

I've a distinct feeling we're not going to be in that $12k range any longer, even with base level shocks :lmao: 

306331151_645480520280148_76267816546735

15 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

What is the over under on the little shit being ironed out?  2 years, 3?

idk honestly... but hopefully it comes out as sorted out as the G5/6/? and Matryx after this freaking long in the tooth (and just speculating this 'chassis' more tweaked Procross than all new.)  what it absolutely can't be is a soda can that can't take a beating... 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

On 9/10/2022 at 11:17 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

next RXC looking like a hot ticket

looks like the photoshopped Ski-Doo's weren't... :lol2:

looks like we may have a party to attend...

well boys, guess we'll have to see what specific models they offer, the final details and price but I'm pretty certain I'm looking at my next sled here... 

I've a distinct feeling we're not going to be in that $12k range any longer, even with base level shocks :lmao: 

306331151_645480520280148_76267816546735

Yep next sled will very likely be the R-XC. I'd really like some more detail though, so far any hard numbers and details are basically just rumors...heard 432lbs somewhere?  Increased 600 power....baffled fuel tank...

To be sure,  obviously big rotational weight saving with belt drive, vastly improved ergos with a focus on the rider experience. And the drawings show the motor shoved so far down and back. Finally what appears to be a solid accessory attachment system. And thank god, it looks amazing imo!

I can't wait to hear the Catalyst owners using words like "FUN!" now that they have a chassis that appears to be in line with SkiDoo and Polaris.  "Fun Factor!" :lol2:

All ball busting aside - I am happy to see this sled unveiled.  And I hope my diehard Cat buddy convinces himself (or his wife) to get one and compare to my sled.

8 hours ago, Premium said:

Yep next sled will very likely be the R-XC. I'd really like some more detail though, so far any hard numbers and details are basically just rumors...heard 432lbs somewhere?  Increased 600 power....baffled fuel tank...

To be sure,  obviously big rotational weight saving with belt drive, vastly improved ergos with a focus on the rider experience. And the drawings show the motor shoved so far down and back. Finally what appears to be a solid accessory attachment system. And thank god, it looks amazing imo!

432 dry sounds almost too light?  At this point I'm crossing fingers and holding my breath...

8 hours ago, Bontz said:

I can't wait to hear the Catalyst owners using words like "FUN!" now that they have a chassis that appears to be in line with SkiDoo and Polaris.  "Fun Factor!" :lol2:

All ball busting aside - I am happy to see this sled unveiled.  And I hope my diehard Cat buddy convinces himself (or his wife) to get one and compare to my sled.

you tools own 'fun factor' and 'terrain dominator', not to mention 'unmatched durability' and 'guaranteed quality'... so if you'd like me to find the Hitler video :lmao:

are you going to be able to trade in your no mile Matryx in until there's an exploding gas tank fix announced?  asking for a friend... as always.  :) 

Ironically, I recall "fun factor" to be the term the Firecat owners loved to throw around (me being one of them). I suppose it's Polaris tradition though to take a great idea or theme, market the hell out of it, and achieve incredible sales results lol

13 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

432 dry sounds almost too light?  At this point I'm crossing fingers and holding my breath...

you tools own 'fun factor' and 'terrain dominator', not to mention 'unmatched durability' and 'guaranteed quality'... so if you'd like me to find the Hitler video :lmao:

are you going to be able to trade in your no mile Matryx in until there's an exploding gas tank fix announced?  asking for a friend... as always.  :) 

From what I’ve heard from some credible sources is 432lbs might be with a full tank of oil and a couple gallons of gas.

• Like 1