Riding Gear Rundown...What Are You Guys Wearing

If it weren’t so expensive to do so, I’d switch over from bibs to pants and a TekVest.  

Having worn a chest protector in martial arts for years and never really got used to them.  It’s like wearing a barrel.  Still, I’m pretty sure that’s better than getting impaled by a tree.

Anybody have any tips on how to figure out which vest to get?

I switched over to FXR bibs and jacket a couple of years ago, because they have that flotation liner and I do a fair amount of riding on lakes.  My FXR boots have the BOA thing that’s pretty slick, but the cord is cutting through one of my boots.  Theoretically, that has a separate warranty from the boot, but I’ll probably get one more year out of the boots and replace them anyway.  I like CastleX gauntlet gloves, not sure why they work so well for me.  For riding in below zero F, I break out my Polaris mittens, which date back to 1990 and are still the best hand protection when my bar/thumb warmers are working correctly.  They’re really too thin, but trap the heat from the bars so well that my fingers stay nice and toasty, even while the rest of me freezes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, p51mstg said:

If it weren’t so expensive to do so, I’d switch over from bibs to pants and a TekVest.  

Having worn a chest protector in martial arts for years and never really got used to them.  It’s like wearing a barrel.  Still, I’m pretty sure that’s better than getting impaled by a tree.

Anybody have any tips on how to figure out which vest to get?

I switched over to FXR bibs and jacket a couple of years ago, because they have that flotation liner and I do a fair amount of riding on lakes.  My FXR boots have the BOA thing that’s pretty slick, but the cord is cutting through one of my boots.  Theoretically, that has a separate warranty from the boot, but I’ll probably get one more year out of the boots and replace them anyway.  I like CastleX gauntlet gloves, not sure why they work so well for me.  For riding in below zero F, I break out my Polaris mittens, which date back to 1990 and are still the best hand protection when my bar/thumb warmers are working correctly.  They’re really too thin, but trap the heat from the bars so well that my fingers stay nice and toasty, even while the rest of me freezes.

the key to purchasing the TekVest from my experience was going to a place that sold them, trying a couple sizes on and actually sitting on a sled while wearing it and purchasing it from them.  fwiw I wear Klim Keweenaw bibs, wear the vest over the bibs and then a Klim Klimate coat.  for me the Tekrider Freestyle vest ($206 back then) is not uncomfortable, especially once you've worn the vest a few times, sort of like a good pair of shoes.  I wear the vest for these simple reasons, I enjoy doing weeknight rides alone in the woods as a workout, I'm a rather aggressive rider most of the time, I'm on blood thinners and I have a family to come home to.

other shit... 

AC TXI helmet - super warm, never fogs, same weight as a bowling ball with Klim balaclava.  need to upgrade helmet and am looking at options

Klim Tundra Mitts - because blood thinners and Raynauds.  on warmer days a pair of UA gloves

Baffin Pivot Boots - because again, blood thinners.  but the majority of the time, old Columbia snowboard boots

am an old school gear whore, dress in polartech layers depending on conditions and remember... it's easier to take layers off than it is to wish you had more with you.

the best thing you (or I ?) can do to stay warm is use an actual windshield rather than some cool looking speedometer cover and handguards.  you don't see the cross country racers with those stupid things on their sleds, and there's a reason for that which seems to elude some.   

• Like 2

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

the key to purchasing the TekVest from my experience was going to a place that sold them, trying a couple sizes on and actually sitting on a sled while wearing it and purchasing it from them.  fwiw I wear Klim Keweenaw bibs, wear the vest over the bibs and then a Klim Klimate coat.  for me the Tekrider Freestyle vest ($206 back then) is not uncomfortable, especially once you've worn the vest a few times, sort of like a good pair of shoes.  I wear the vest for these simple reasons, I enjoy doing weeknight rides alone in the woods as a workout, I'm a rather aggressive rider most of the time, I'm on blood thinners and I have a family to come home to.

other shit... 

AC TXI helmet - super warm, never fogs, same weight as a bowling ball with Klim balaclava.  need to upgrade helmet and am looking at options

Klim Tundra Mitts - because blood thinners and Raynauds.  on warmer days a pair of UA gloves

Baffin Pivot Boots - because again, blood thinners.  but the majority of the time, old Columbia snowboard boots

am an old school gear whore, dress in polartech layers depending on conditions and remember... it's easier to take layers off than it is to wish you had more with you.

the best thing you (or I ?) can do to stay warm is use an actual windshield rather than some cool looking speedometer cover and handguards.  you don't see the cross country racers with those stupid things on their sleds, and there's a reason for that which seems to elude some.   

I think when I can’t handle the cold I’ll just go this route lol

86B58A54-56A5-4FEB-A896-4543E9FA8244.jpeg

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

the cold isn't an issue when properly dressed and shielded from the wind

got a solution for used and abused joints?  :lol:

13 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

I'll have to send this to my buddy.  He has a twin spar and for the longest time he had uninsulated bibs and didn't know it and always bitched about being cold.  After he got insulated gear he couldn't stop raving about how comfortable he was like he's in a "cockpit".  I still bring up the cockpit term with him sometimes.  How's the cockpit etc

• Like 1

• Gold Member
58 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I'll have to send this to my buddy.  He has a twin spar and for the longest time he had uninsulated bibs and didn't know it and always bitched about being cold.  After he got insulated gear he couldn't stop raving about how comfortable he was like he's in a "cockpit".  I still bring up the cockpit term with him sometimes.  How's the cockpit etc

That enclosed cabin be pretty nice on something like a ski-doo elite it just looks like it be really tippy on a regular sled. Definitely the best way to go if you wanna stay toasty warm 😂.

• 2 weeks later...

FXR boots with BOA
Halvarssons Outlast bib pants
Halvarssons "Scratch" jacket
Halvarssons balaclava
Hestra Army Leather Heli Ski 5-finger gloves
Airoh Terminator helmet
509 Sinister goggles

And underneath it all, socks, underpants, sweater all Woolpower.

i286541539274870870._szw480h1280_.jpg

Edited by zr800m10

If anyone that regularly rides off trail or does high impact riding in warmer winter weather is looking for a deal on a riding jacket... https://www.countrycat.com/clearance/clearance-clothing?manufacturer=36

I might pick up a spare just for being outdoors in early spring or late fall.

@SayatodaU.P.eh?

or... deals, mostly Cat stuff

https://www.countrycat.com/clearance/clearance-clothing

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

31 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

If anyone that regularly rides off trail or does high impact riding in warmer winter weather is looking for a deal on a riding jacket... https://www.countrycat.com/clearance/clearance-clothing?manufacturer=36

I might pick up a spare just for being outdoors in early spring or late fall.

@SayatodaU.P.eh?

or... deals, mostly Cat stuff

https://www.countrycat.com/clearance/clearance-clothing

My off trail coat is a Klim Tomahawk. It’s just a shell. :bc:

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

It is on Facebook, you think I can find that shit back?  Hell no!  It was the black with the big Team Arctic on it.

I had that one before my current I think but I’ll go look.  I just can’t reply or anything.  If I want it, I’ll get my wife to send a message.

:bc:

53 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I had that one before my current I think but I’ll go look.  I just can’t reply or anything.  If I want it, I’ll get my wife to send a message.

unlimited budget Pit Coat is...

8550b5c277a3b761f4e2d6145c7d0c44.gif

FABULOUS!!!

:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

My off trail coat is a Klim Tomahawk. It’s just a shell. :bc:

ikr, seems like a good deal for Gore-Tex with some warmth.  maybe someone else needs it.

but... you're the only 'off trail' loser I know here. :lol:  

snow-jump.gif

On 12/1/2021 at 8:52 PM, Zambroski said:

Randomly pops back in...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/590546262057245/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A18598431-3bbe-4abf-b6d7-ed543a96eaf3

11 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Yeah, already had that one.  Thanks for thinking of me though.  You know, these things used to be easier to find.  WTF are these guys doing?  Keeping them for nostalgic reasons?  

11 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, already had that one.  Thanks for thinking of me though.  You know, these things used to be easier to find.  WTF are these guys doing?  Keeping them for nostalgic reasons?  

Well, half the Sno-X guys silk screen or embroider their name onto them, making them worth $0.  

Half the people buy them once and just keep them.

And the rest do whatever.  

We'd always get a big enough PG&A budget where you'd buy a couple a year just to use it up, sometimes.  

Or you'd get them via whatever other deals you have going.

It'll go around and one year you'll see 50 at Haydays, the next year there will be 2.

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Well, half the Sno-X guys silk screen or embroider their name onto them, making them worth $0.  

Half the people buy them once and just keep them.

And the rest do whatever.  

We'd always get a big enough PG&A budget where you'd buy a couple a year just to use it up, sometimes.  

Or you'd get them via whatever other deals you have going.

It'll go around and one year you'll see 50 at Haydays, the next year there will be 2.

I may contact a couple of teams and see if I can nab one….and a SX after the season.  :rockernana: