They wanted boomers to leave. They did. Goldman just figured out why the labor shortage will last for a long time: 60% of the missing workers retired, many for good

:lol: 

Goldman just figured out why the labor shortage will last for a long time: 60% of the missing workers retired, many for good

Edited by spin_dry

• spin_dry changed the title to They wanted boomers to leave. They did. Goldman just figured out why the labor shortage will last for a long time: 60% of the missing workers retired, many for good

It seems to me based on the quote from the article; this isn't a retirement issue.  I don't think many Wendy's workers are retiring,  same for the office cleaners....but you keep telling yourself it's not all of the direct transfer payments from our broken Federal government. 

That's bad news for a labor-crunched market as Wendy's closes dining rooms early, a childcare company in California is shutters because it can't hire, and cleaning companies are canceling jobs because they don't have the people to staff them.

Retirement is cleaning my company out. I’d say good riddance but what they are doing is asking those of us that are remaining, to pick up the slack and do it for a lot less money than the people retiring were making. That in itself, is driving younger people out. Company is starting to come around a bit (doing some minor hiring/merit increases) but next year will tell the tale of if they can pull it off yet. If they don’t make some serious moves with my compensation next year, I will be looking. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Retirement is cleaning my company out. I’d say good riddance but what they are doing is asking those of us that are remaining, to pick up the slack and do it for a lot less money than the people retiring were making. That in itself, is driving younger people out. Company is starting to come around a bit (doing some minor hiring/merit increases) but next year will tell the tale of if they can pull it off yet. If they don’t make some serious moves with my compensation next year, I will be looking. 

Happening everywhere. Companies are holding their profit line by squeezing existing employees for every drop as their retirees vacate and start taking pensions.  Union and pensions all sound great for new hires and younger operations that aren’t seeing the pinch of it in the future but, it’s coming around now.  Add to that an amazing pool of entitled, inept, lazy workers who feel they are worthy of a middle level management position right out of school and it’s messy.

Not sure how it will work out.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

The lazy ass pussies that come up cannot replace the dedicated boomer employee.

Very good!  Now, let’s not call this a breakthrough moment of intellect and realization until you can answer what side of the political spectrum has grown to create and accommodate these “lazy ass pussies”?

:news:

29 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Happening everywhere. Companies are holding their profit line by squeezing existing employees for every drop as their retirees vacate and start taking pensions.  Union and pensions all sound great for new hires and younger operations that aren’t seeing the pinch of it in the future but, it’s coming around now.  Add to that an amazing pool of entitled, inept, lazy workers who feel they are worthy of a middle level management position right out of school and it’s messy.

Not sure how it will work out.  

Have seen a lot of people retiree.  With the covid impact and the strong stock market many are thinking now was a good time to get out.

Across the board, wages haven't kept pace with inflation.  Changing jobs or getting promoted is the way to get more money.  That's why 4.4 million people quit their jobs in September.  If someone needs to make a move, now is the time.

1 minute ago, teamgreen02 said:

Have seen a lot of people retiree.  With the covid impact and the strong stock market many are thinking now was a good time to get out.

Across the board, wages haven't kept pace with inflation.  Changing jobs or getting promoted is the way to get more money.  That's why 4.4 million people quit their jobs in September.  If someone needs to make a move, now is the time.

Yep, daughter just got an interview with a company for a 25% increase in pay and get this, they actively proclaim they are a private operation and do not require vaccinations.  Their applicants are lining up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yep, daughter just got an interview with a company for a 25% increase in pay and get this, they actively proclaim they are a private operation and do not require vaccinations.  Their applicants are lining up.

Sounds perfect, when can she start?

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Boomers run the company, don't they?

35 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Sounds perfect, when can she start?

They told her she can start whenever she wants.  It’s down by the cities so, she’s told them she was thinking spring?  I just laughed.  They said May would be fine.  HOlY SHIT!  :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Eh. I think there’s still some meat left on the bone. Especially for skilled tradesmen/women. I am at that point in my life that while I’d love to say, “This is it. This is the place that I can hang my hat on, and retire from.”. However, I know what I am worth and I am also not afraid to hold their feet to the fire. They can only treat people like me, like shit, for so long. They need people like me to conduct business, period. 

Hell, the wife has been given a 25% raise and $1000 bonus, in just the last few months, and she’s just admin. 

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Why hasn’t she started? Jesus. 

46 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Boomers run the company, don't they?

1/3 Boomers, 1/3 Gen Xer’s and 1/3 Gen Z/Millennials. 

29 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

They told her she can start whenever she wants.  It’s down by the cities so, she’s told them she was thinking spring?  I just laughed.  They said May would be fine.  HOlY SHIT!  :lmao:

Yeah, she might be able to hold out for more but fuck it, if I were her, I’d take it. If things keep up at this pace, she can probably get a bunch more in the spring. 

1 minute ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Eh. I think there’s still some meat left on the bone. Especially for skilled tradesmen/women. I am at that point in my life that while I’d love to say, “This is it. This is the place that I can hang my hat on, and retire from.”. However, I know what I am worth and I am also not afraid to hold their feet to the fire. They can only treat people like me, like shit, for so long. They need people like me to conduct business, period. 

Hell, the wife has been given a 25% raise and $1000 bonus, in just the last few months, and she’s just admin. 

Yeah, she might be able to hold out for more but fuck it, if I were her, I’d take it. If things keep up at this pace, she can probably get a bunch more in the spring. 

She’s wants to finish out her school here.  Funny thing is, the HC industry almost doesn’t care anymore if any degree is obtained.  They can’t wait and experience outweighs class time.  This is the way it used to be….and the way it should always be.

9 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Im talking the CEO, where all the shit flows from.

Boomer? I'm guessing yes.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

She’s wants to finish out her school here.  Funny thing is, the HC industry almost doesn’t care anymore if any degree is obtained.  They can’t wait and experience outweighs class time.  This is the way it used to be….and the way it should always be.

Experience is making a comeback for sure. It’s good to see. :bc:

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Do you guys inform your potential employers you'll need 6-7 hours a day dedicated to being on this site?  :lol:

I’m salary so go eat a bag of dicks. :lol:

Not to mention, I’m taking beer brakes while doing brakes on my sled trailer. :news:

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, Mainecat said:

The lazy ass pussies that come up cannot replace the dedicated boomer employee.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Yeah ok . Same Guys I work with that bitch and fucking moan at everything.....get payed way too much and never saved a fucking dollar in their life and wonder why they still have to work at 67 years old. 

Edited by EvilBird