Trailer Ski Guides and Traction Mats

If I load my in-line from the back, I can’t get more than two sleds in there. It’s rated for three. If I drive them in the front, I can fit three mountain sleds. I bet I can fit four short tracks if I were to back two in. 7x18 box with a 5’ V. 

3 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

In my inline, I have just 1/4 OSB in it, the cheapest I could find at the Menards.  Tilt it up in the spring to let everything dry out and when it is shot, I'll just burn it.  It isn't shot and has been like 6 or 7 years now.

I have a similar approach.  I'm just using fancy CDX instead. ;)  I'm pretty impressed with how well it has held up with tons of abuse. 

I use grip guides on the ramps.  It's just easier to drive on and off with guides.

I went with the plywood option to keep the floor flat while offering some protection.  The trailer gets used for other projects at times and guides get in the way with rolling casters etc.  Guides also make it a little harder to move sleds around.  It's not a huge deal, but adds up if you load sleds a ton of times in a season.

Our sleds mostly run studs.  It's pretty impressive what a little throttle inexperience and studs will do to any floor.  The cheap plywood will leave a nice pile of wood dust, but the floor underneath is still good.

18 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

average 10-12' tilt bed double wide

you don't need ski guides for the final foot or so, and only so much track touches the ground or trailer deck in this case

mine is a 12' deck with 128" skids (see above)

idk what kind of trailer he bought so... :)

Agree if a tilt. If drive on/off more quides and matts needed

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 11:24 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

math

$3.54 x 10 x 2 for the ski guides (mentioned above) for one sled = $70.80 per side / double wide = $141.60

if track mats if required = $45.65 each x 2 = $91.30

$232.90 to properly outfit a trailer = BFD  

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/p-321-caliber-snowmobile-72-traxmat-18-wide-13211.aspx

Well I guess my trailer isn't "properly outfitted".  Guess I'm not down with spending $250 to preserve $150 in plywood.  Plywood that is still degrading from age and elements.  Plywood that I've never had to replace due to carbide or stud wear.

The only reason I'd want some variation of the ski guides is so when I drive out of the trailer, it slides the skis easier and doesn't burn the belt.  And I can come up with some scrap material very easily, for free, to do that.  And if you don't have reverse and are yanking your sled off your trailer every time, I'd probably get a different trailer because that is not properly outfitted.  But hey at least your plywood doesn't have marks on it!  Your sparse use of the guides looks like the runners would catch the hell out of them while you're blowing out your back yanking the sleds off.  Too bad $250 only gets you tiny little strips instead of a complete runner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Well I guess my trailer isn't "properly outfitted".  Guess I'm not down with spending $250 to preserve $150 in plywood.  Plywood that is still degrading from age and elements.  Plywood that I've never had to replace due to carbide or stud wear.

The only reason I'd want some variation of the ski guides is so when I drive out of the trailer, it slides the skis easier and doesn't burn the belt.  And I can come up with some scrap material very easily, for free, to do that.  And if you don't have reverse and are yanking your sled off your trailer every time, I'd probably get a different trailer because that is not properly outfitted.  But hey at least your plywood doesn't have marks on it!  Your sparse use of the guides looks like the runners would catch the hell out of them while you're blowing out your back yanking the sleds off.  Too bad $250 only gets you tiny little strips instead of a complete runner.

Why are you so mad?  :)

The bed tilts, neither have reverse as you know and roll off with ease.  The 250 covered the skis and track pieces, which was to show the folks talking about spending a thousand dollars or some crazy figures.  I wouldn't care to change out my decking and I'm pretty handy.   Have you priced marine grade plywood recently?  Go on Menards, Lowe's, or Homo Depot and price out a 4x8 sheet.   :lol:

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

7 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Why are you so mad?  :)

The bed tilts, neither have reverse as you know and roll off with ease.  The 250 covered the skis and track pieces, which was to show the folks talking about spending a thousand dollars or some crazy figures.  I wouldn't care to change out my decking and I'm pretty handy.   Have you priced marine grade plywood recently?  Go on Menards, Lowe's, or Homo Depot and price out a 4x8 sheet.   :lol:

I was eating morning Cheerios.  I only get mad when you try to take my guns away.  Your trailer sucks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 7:28 AM, Jimmy Snacks said:

So I’ve got this new enclosed trailer and the floor is Drymax but still want to throw some clear sealer of some sort on it but I’m trying to find this Caliber stuff online and a lot of it is out of stock so my question is what do you guys use/do? I don’t run studs so the only worry is carbides but is that even a big deal? 🤷🏻

Get horse mats from tractor supply....they work great, but a bit heavy.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...