Trailer Ski Guides and Traction Mats

• Platinum Contributing Member

So I’ve got this new enclosed trailer and the floor is Drymax but still want to throw some clear sealer of some sort on it but I’m trying to find this Caliber stuff online and a lot of it is out of stock so my question is what do you guys use/do? I don’t run studs so the only worry is carbides but is that even a big deal? 🤷🏻

5 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So I’ve got this new enclosed trailer and the floor is Drymax but still want to throw some clear sealer of some sort on it but I’m trying to find this Caliber stuff online and a lot of it is out of stock so my question is what do you guys use/do? I don’t run studs so the only worry is carbides but is that even a big deal? 🤷🏻

In my experience, Carbides will rip up everything eventually.  Especially new ones.  You can limit the damage with some roll on type stuff but, I’ve never found or seen anything that works….other than ski guides.  I’m about to purchase some myself.  Expensive buggers!  Some use old bed liner ripped into strips.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

In my experience, Carbides will rip up everything eventually.  Especially new ones.  You can limit the damage with some roll on type stuff but, I’ve never found or seen anything that works….other than ski guides.  I’m about to purchase some myself.  Expensive buggers!  Some use old bed liner ripped into strips.

No kidding…I’ve been looking that Caliber stuff on Dennis Kirk and they sure aren’t giving it away…a lot of it isn’t available either. Caliber has this a configuration page where you can do your layout and get a price…first one I did was over a thousand bucks!🤣🤣

53 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

No kidding…I’ve been looking that Caliber stuff on Dennis Kirk and they sure aren’t giving it away…a lot of it isn’t available either. Caliber has this a configuration page where you can do your layout and get a price…first one I did was over a thousand bucks!🤣🤣

Yeah, I’m in the market for some too for the set up I built in the back of my truck this year.  I’ll have more into those than the whole throw away platform for my sled!

• Gold Member

My bud uses his enclosed car trailer for towing the sleds so he is kinda crazy with the thing. He put down a couple thick coats of u-pol bed liner on the floor to protect from moisture damage. In the winter he throws down a couple horse stall mats and uses those caliber ski wheels to move the sleds in and out. Works good but way overkill IMO 

I just have a old cut up track on my open 😂 

• Gold Member
12 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Cant see not doing slides . 

I just added some to the flap. One load with me lifting the skis and it still made a mark. 

Ive been thinking about doing a sealer myself tho. 

20211105_154416.jpg

Edited by EvilBird
  • Like 1

I see it as a trailer.  Buy it use it for 4 yrs dump it for close to what you paid even with the scratches on the floor and buy a new one before you end up having to fuck with wires and breaks and bearings etc etc . A trailer is the only thing is power sports it is hard to loose cash on .

If you really want to save the floor the runners do work . But ski saver flex also work great . But not sure you will find many left think John quit importing them this yr . Caliber makes a set but they are plastic and not sure if they work as well as ski saver flex 

• Thanks 1

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/p-4604-snowmobile-trailer-bed-grip-guide-each.aspx

If you're just concerned about the carbides these are more than adequate.  You don't need big pieces.  I'll check the spacing on mine when it's light out.  If you run studs or an ice track you should get a track mat.

Edit - 11" on center.

IMG_20211107_063723808.jpg

IMG_20211107_063704246.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

As Zambo mentioned ... if you're looking to save $$$ just find an insert type truck bed liner and cut it into strips and screw them down for ski runners.  Otherwise, yeah, Caliber is what we have installed in our trailer.  That shit was expensive 5 or 6 years ago, I can't even imagine how bad it is now.

50 minutes ago, Bontz said:

As Zambo mentioned ... if you're looking to save $$$ just find an insert type truck bed liner and cut it into strips and screw them down for ski runners.  Otherwise, yeah, Caliber is what we have installed in our trailer.  That shit was expensive 5 or 6 years ago, I can't even imagine how bad it is now.

Agreed. Bought all my guides and matts at Milwaukee show  October 17, for my 2018 Triton 12 foot Prestige. . The deal then was 10% 0ff and free shipping to my house. Can't imagine that now

My 11 year old in-line has actually faired EXTREMELY well, with nothing on the floor. I did put ski guides and mats on the ramp doors however. The most damage to anything is the edge of the floor in front of the front ramp door, from driving sleds in. I want to talk myself into some edge guides but I also want the flexibility to drive out the front door so then the carbides would mostly catch them, flip them up and rip them off. The main floor is starting to dry out and dust up so I may paint it one of these days. If prices weren’t so bad right now, I’d sell it and downsize as I have really no need for a three place anymore. 

• Like 1

math

$3.54 x 10 x 2 for the ski guides (mentioned above) for one sled = $70.80 per side / double wide = $141.60

if track mats if required = $45.65 each x 2 = $91.30

$232.90 to properly outfit a trailer = BFD  

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/p-321-caliber-snowmobile-72-traxmat-18-wide-13211.aspx

• Like 1

This is what I ordered today...no studs so I didn’t order any  sort of track  mat or grips for the main deck only the ramps. Dennis Kirk doesn’t have any track mats currently and the guide selection was limited.

3D74FAD4-8AEF-4040-BD70-E05FF9FCEC9D.thumb.png.5b000ab9f24d02d20a4cbd1b058cef69.png25584CEB-DADD-480F-ABBD-F243A45F894A.thumb.png.8aff708c8194f4197ae0143e216b8f7f.png

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

This is what I ordered today...no studs so I didn’t order any  sort of track  mat or grips for the main deck only the ramps. Dennis Kirk doesn’t have any track mats currently and the guide selection was limited.

3D74FAD4-8AEF-4040-BD70-E05FF9FCEC9D.thumb.png.5b000ab9f24d02d20a4cbd1b058cef69.png25584CEB-DADD-480F-ABBD-F243A45F894A.thumb.png.8aff708c8194f4197ae0143e216b8f7f.png

Those ski guides are slippery as fuck with snow on them. I used the grip glides from Caliber. 

• Like 1

Just now, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Those ski guides are slippery as fuck with snow on them. I used the grip glides from Caliber. 

Yeah I know...pretty sure the grip guides were out of stock.

Just now, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

You could easily modify the ones you have. No surprise they were out of stock, either. 

I just checked again...they do have them...might have to change my order.👊🏻🇺🇸

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

math

$3.54 x 10 x 2 for the ski guides (mentioned above) for one sled = $70.80 per side / double wide = $141.60

if track mats if required = $45.65 each x 2 = $91.30

$232.90 to properly outfit a trailer = BFD  

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/p-321-caliber-snowmobile-72-traxmat-18-wide-13211.aspx

Somehow your math comes across for a very short trailer?

7 minutes ago, racerdave said:

Somehow your math comes across for a very short trailer?

average 10-12' tilt bed double wide

you don't need ski guides for the final foot or so, and only so much track touches the ground or trailer deck in this case

mine is a 12' deck with 128" skids (see above)

idk what kind of trailer he bought so... :)

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

average 10-12' tilt bed double wide

you don't need ski guides for the final foot or so, and only so much track touches the ground or trailer deck in this case

mine is a 12' deck with 128" skids (see above)

idk what kind of trailer he bought so... :)

7x21 inline...16’ with a 5’ V Nose.👊🏻🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

7x21 inline...16’ with a 5’ V Nose.👊🏻🇺🇸

Also, grab yourself a piece of like 2 to 3 inch OD thick-walled PVC pipe and cut it to length to drop in to the hinge of the rear door.  It'll prevent your carbides from grabbing when loading.  I also have stainless hinges and a foot wide piece of plywood on the top of the rear door to fold down for the same thing.  

• Thanks 1