Northern Lights - good show last night.

low-1

2 minutes ago, low-1 said:

Haven't gone out taking pictures in quite a while, but I was keeping an eye on all the forecasts.  Decided I'd throw the battery on the charger after getting home from a 12 hour work day returning a generator to service.  Relaxing on the couch enjoying a nice cold beverage, and my phone rang.  Work calling, problem with the unit and I needed to go back in and troubleshoot.  Motherfucker.  It was kind of an expected issue, adjustments we make during maintenance contradict adjustments required for running online, but we need to calibrate everything to spec for our testing, then usually go back afterwards and adjust so it's balanced with the other units... regardless, it's an easy, quick fix.

Decided I'd throw my camera in the vehicle just in case, and just as I was leaving site to head back home, the sky exploded.  Took the back way home and stopped at the little lake beside town that functions as the float plane base.  It was open water yesterday during the day, had skimmed over with ice during the evening and was covered when I was shooting there around 8:30.

nl1.jpg

nl2.jpg

nl3.jpg

Nice pics as always. Yes, they were strong last night. I've seen some pics this morning from NH. Not nearly as visible as your pictures though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV2f3JmLLo4/?utm_medium=copy_link

Saw them on my way home from work as well. Took some pictures with my phone camera when I got home. They were nowhere near as bright for me but they were dancing pretty good.

My photos are absolute garbage compared to low-1's. I was messing around with shutter speed and iso trying to make the pictures turn out right. They are a little over exposed and blurry lol.

20211104_022925.jpg

20211104_023030.jpg

20211104_023007.jpg

20211104_022741.jpg

20211104_022520.jpg

20211104_022733.jpg

20211104_022811.jpg

20211104_022835.jpg

20211104_022958.jpg

Edited by Tomas.
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Saw them on my way home from work as well. Took some pictures with my phone camera when I got home. They were nowhere near as bright for me but they were dancing pretty good.

My photos are absolute garbage compared to low-1's. I was messing around with shutter speed and iso trying to make the pictures turn out right. They are a little over exposed and blurry lol.

I did this somewhat professionally for a number of years, and this was also with about $5-7K in camera equipment.  You did just fine.  I was using a full frame Nikon dSLR (D750), with a nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 lens.  F/2.8, ISO between 4000 and 5000, and between 1 and 5 sec exposures.  I also ran them through lightroom mobile to adjust a few levels.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, low-1 said:

I did this somewhat professionally for a number of years, and this was also with about $5-7K in camera equipment.  You did just fine.  I was using a full frame Nikon dSLR (D750), with a nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 lens.  F/2.8, ISO between 4000 and 5000, and between 1 and 5 sec exposures.  I also ran them through lightroom mobile to adjust a few levels.

I am going to keep those numbers and try them out on my phone next time lol.

You have probably heard this a million times but your photos are incredible

• Like 1

4 hours ago, low-1 said:

Are you sticking with the DSLR or are you tempted to go mirorless? I finally made the jump this year. I ended up going with a cropped sensor again as I like the extra reach for when I am shooting birds.

18 minutes ago, ckf said:

Are you sticking with the DSLR or are you tempted to go mirorless? I finally made the jump this year. I ended up going with a cropped sensor again as I like the extra reach for when I am shooting birds.

Honestly I’ve taken my camera gear out like 4 times in the last 3 or 4 years, so I’m not in any rush to invest in another system.  Back to “hobby”, so I can’t justify to expense right now.  Even back when I was shooting more regularly, I was pretty impressed with the mirrorless systems.  

Last major interest was firearms, went a long ways down that path, jumped into fly fishing this fall and currently investing heavily in ice fishing gear lol.  Just got my Eskimo outbreak 850XD yesterday.  Picked up one of those Chinese diesel heaters and today’s project was making a fire blanket panel for the removable windows for the exhaust pipe exit.  Next is working on power and lighting.  Waiting on the ice conversion kit for my helix 7.

• Like 1