Electric F7 coming soon

41 minutes ago, mnstang said:

That's actually pretty bad ass to have an electric crate motor, they'll sell a bunch, people will put them in anything!  Cool.  Wonder if they'll sell batteries too?

GM has one as well.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/project-x-57-chevy-ev-conversion/ 

Obviously F7 was me joking around, but it does make me wonder if in time you could take an older sled, rip out the engine and fuel tank and replace it with an electric motor and battery pack.  Snowmobile power train is very uncomplicated, unlike a car or truck. 

Being a bike guy, you might find this build interesting.

Nothing is stopping a guy with basic fab skills from putting electric in a sled right now if they want to.

I've ridden an Alta, pretty cool, different with no clutch, plenty of power!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Nothing is stopping a guy with basic fab skills from putting electric in a sled right now if they want to.

I've ridden an Alta, pretty cool, different with no clutch, plenty of power!

From what I recall of the Taiga drivetrain it was the motor with a belt to the driven shaft and the brake mounted to the driven.  So, no clutches, jackshaft or chaincase.  I'm sure the manufacturers are already tinkering. 

Was the Atlas also odd without a shifter?  How long can they go between charges?  I find it all rather intriguing as that's the direction motorsports seems to be headed.  

Caught this yesterday... 

22 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

I am wanting the new 1000hp gm crate for my c10.... but Im going to have to sell both nuts to get the 38k 

I'll give you $6k for the RXC to get you started... on the transmission to go with it.  :)

GM made a hell of a swan song

17 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

From what I recall of the Taiga drivetrain it was the motor with a belt to the driven shaft and the brake mounted to the driven.  So, no clutches, jackshaft or chaincase.  I'm sure the manufacturers are already tinkering. 

Was the Atlas also odd without a shifter?  How long can they go between charges?  I find it all rather intriguing as that's the direction motorsports seems to be headed.  

Caught this yesterday... 

No shifting wasn't too bad.  But I apply power alot with the clutch and so it was foreign to me just using the throttle, I was definitely not as smooth because of that.  I didn't ride it for a battery cycle but I think it can go an hour or so depending on everything.  Definitely not doing a 2 hour race with one.

I think with a sled it'd be pretty easy.  No clutches or jackshaft, all that bullshit.  You could have a simple connection direct to the track shaft, maybe with a chain or belt so you could still change gearing.  Maybe put a freewheel in there so you don't have crazy motor breaking.  Or that can be minimized with electric tuning also.  There's lots of potential I think.  Put the battery at the back or on tunnel for weight distribution.  I'd doubt they'd need a cooling system, they could probably air cool it I'd think.

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

That's actually pretty bad ass to have an electric crate motor, they'll sell a bunch, people will put them in anything!  Cool.  Wonder if they'll sell batteries too?

They will have to . Not everyone wants to build early tesla lap top battery banks 

5 hours ago, snatchslayer said:

Gay. Do that shit to a newer truck. Thing needs a 428cj not a roomba 

Then that fucker will hop a coke can on the street with uniroyal tiger paws….. 🙄

Still makes me laugh when people praise huge cubic inch slugs that most modern 4 cylinders would absolutely smoke. Especially after having my hands in 2 428CJ projects.

That being said electric powered is not for me at least at this time. I feel it just lacks the soul of an internal combustion engine. BUT the shit they do with them is seriously impressive and the power on demand is something we can all appreciate.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'll give you $6k for the RXC to get you started... on the transmission to go with it.  :)

GM made a hell of a swan song

lol I have yet to get the "hey stupid come pickup your sled" email. 

I am debating on what engine to throw in my c10 , 454 is cool and all but single digit mileage on premium hurt my asshole a bit. Thanks obama

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

I am debating on what engine to throw in my c10 , 454 is cool and all but single digit mileage on premium hurt my asshole a bit. Thanks obama

Quad four iron duke.

The email came to me, heading up to TRF tomorrow to pick it up.  :)

LSX376-B15 to keep the weight down and 473hp @ 6k should be ample.

13 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Quad four iron duke.

Quad 4 was a 2.3 I4 Olds engine 

The 2.5 Iron Duke Super Duty?  Most folks never knew about those.  I sold SD parts to a guy that had a track Fiero that ran at Elkhart Lake on weekends.  Was a snotty little thing. 

Not this one, but ...

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/imsa-veteran-fiero-is-a-low-buck-track-toy/

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

Ls swap it with a junk yard motor and Chinese turbos like everyone on YouTube does. It’s the correct thing to do as YouTube says so.