Expansion chamber temperature

How does the temperature of the expansion pipe affect the power and of the motor.

Does a hotter pipe expand and act like a larger pipe?

I have a pipe to try that may be on the slightly bigger side for my motor, so I was wondering about removing the heat shield.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, mnstang said:

How does the temperature of the expansion pipe affect the power and of the motor.

I have a pipe to try that may be on the slightly bigger side for my motor, so I was wondering about removing the heat shield.

That might be a good question for Dynoport.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCce2Irf4rIc5OSAcZ5_UR8Q/videos

I would imagine the bigger pipe would run cooler and the heat shielding is to help avoid melting things of a plasticy nature.  Cooler based upon volume.  

edit... like Math?

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 6:34 PM, mnstang said:

it changes the sound barrier inside the pipe. the speed of sound is what determines the return wave timing and is critical. whether or not in your specific application you need a different length or temperature i cannot tell you but i feel like alot of confusion on the subject is drawn from how sometimes single pipe on each cylinder engines are hard to keep running good in different temperatures. specifically if you get snow splashed onto the pipes it will run like shit so people put ceramic clothes and stuff to stop that from happening and so dumbasses automatically think a wrapped exhaust is making it more powerful cause it maked the exhaust hotter or makes the air cooler under the hood.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, mnstang said:

You can remove the heat shield and try it . Every pipe is tuned to the specific mil it is being designed for.  If you try a different size pipe, you will most likely have to deal with a myriad of other issues to get it to perform right.  Every single dimension in that pipe matters and if you are using a pipe for a different mil, it’s gonna show.  Giv’r though.  My guess will be it will perform well at either start up, at hot temps, at low rpm, at high rpm.  Not two of any of these though and I’d bet you are gonna get so good swapping out jets that you can do it while you are riding!  :lmao:

I doubt a pipe would expand enough to make a difference. 

Aren’t most heat shields insulated?  I know, at least one of my sleds has insulation under the heat shield.  That would keep the pipe warmer and the shield would be there to protect everything else under the hood.

3 hours ago, p51mstg said:

I doubt a pipe would expand enough to make a difference. 

Aren’t most heat shields insulated?  I know, at least one of my sleds has insulation under the heat shield.  That would keep the pipe warmer and the shield would be there to protect everything else under the hood.

I may have been off with the expansion thing.  Since I started this I think I've learned, like what Frankie was saying, the different temperatures will change the speed of sound waves.  I knew the pipe temp affected pipe operation I just wasn't sure it was more about the speed inside the pipe.

• Like 1