VAST Removes Ice Crossings from Statewide Snowmobile Trail System

Lakes and river are basically a point A to B for me.  The lakes by us can shove and if you don't see it far enough ahead can launch a sled and rider.  Many sleds have be crashed out there and it's basically really boring riding  Rivers around home we can put on miles fast but also very boring.

Years ago had 3 guys go in open water at night around a tight bend in the river.  Only 2 got out and it took 2 days and divers to find the 3rd.  Not very good memories 

Edited by Doug

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, racer254 said:

I was just wondering why this was an issue until I read this.

I have NEVER heard of anyone trying to sue the snowmobile clubs or state over something like this personally.

Yup VAST got sued by a family that lost a Husband, daughter and granddaughter  about 10 years ago on Lake Dunmore. Sad but thats what started all this and made it almost impossible for VAST to get Insurance. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.capecodtimes.com/article/20100110/news11/100119996%3ftemplate=ampart

15 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Really over lakes ? We do swamps but we also argo the shit out of them in the fall and let sleds drive down ice before venturing on to the marsh.  As far as rivers we have bridges or use a road bridge.  Sink a Tucker in a lake could get real fucking expensive real fast 

Last year on Lake Memphremagog a Groomer went in .....

https://www.caledonianrecord.com/news/groomer-breaks-through-ice-on-lake-memphremagog/article_7e9fb14b-7bd9-5df9-b10f-24e7d76efa4a.html

This is Us in the Middle of the lake Memphremagog same weekend after a Guy broke down ....I was super uneasy being out there in the middle stopped....Esp when we passed the spot the groomer fell in 😬

20200229_122949.jpg

• Gold Member

This fag @ActionfigureJoe hide in his basement and is scared of Covid a 98% recoverable sickness....but You're a pansy if you are careful crossing the Ice in freezing temps in the middle of the North woods.  :lol:

Cannot make up how retarded this bitch is. 

Edited by EvilBird
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ckf said:

Brighton snowmobile did this a few years ago in IP.

That’s only partially true, someone flags the trail from the Irving to Bellevue Ave over the pond every year. I’ve also found this to be the case in other areas . Frivolous lawsuits by so called snowmobilers had become a huge issue for VAST and the trail liability insurance that is guaranteed to landowners  The liability insurance company provides no legal representation, just pays off lawsuits and raises premiums. I believe VAST's trail liability insurance is in the area of $250,000 this year leading to their looking into self-insuring.  The Lake Dunmore accident was tragic but in no way was VAST responsible as the family followed someone else’s tracks onto the lake,  VAST has also been sued because of an accident caused by a stop sign that had been knocked down by a snowplow and also by someone who was being stupid, got in an accident, said he didn’t know snowmobiling was dangerous because he hadn’t read and signed his trail pass (TMA). 
So everything that is happening with standardized signing and trail changes is an attempt to reduce VAST's liability and keep the trails open. It was so much better when people actually took responsibility for their own actions.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Sael said:

That’s only partially true, someone flags the trail from the Irving to Bellevue Ave over the pond every year. I’ve also found this to be the case in other areas . Frivolous lawsuits by so called snowmobilers had become a huge issue for VAST and the trail liability insurance that is guaranteed to landowners  The liability insurance company provides no legal representation, just pays off lawsuits and raises premiums. I believe VAST's trail liability insurance is in the area of $250,000 this year leading to their looking into self-insuring.  The Lake Dunmore accident was tragic but in no way was VAST responsible as the family followed someone else’s tracks onto the lake,  VAST has also been sued because of an accident caused by a stop sign that had been knocked down by a snowplow and also by someone who was being stupid, got in an accident, said he didn’t know snowmobiling was dangerous because he hadn’t read and signed his trail pass (TMA). 
So everything that is happening with standardized signing and trail changes is an attempt to reduce VAST's liability and keep the trails open. It was so much better when people actually took responsibility for their own actions.

yep

On 10/26/2021 at 8:39 PM, Ez ryder said:

Really over lakes ? We do swamps but we also argo the shit out of them in the fall and let sleds drive down ice before venturing on to the marsh.  As far as rivers we have bridges or use a road bridge.  Sink a Tucker in a lake could get real fucking expensive real fast 

Well we also get 3-4 feet of ice regularly by end of Feb and the one club checks the ice and floods if necessary.  Swamps get pounded down by sleds early winter to push the frost down, rivers are shallow here in the winter so meh if one breaks through, it will just drive out the other side. 

We have more frost by end of December then most of the northern states has all winter which is a benefit.