High Mileage Vehicles

4 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

5.3 motors prior to the AFM were good.  Even if they were noisy they just ran and for all the complaints they were underpowered they were competitive in the class.  the 5.4 was far worse in economy and no better power.  I had a mix of 3.73 and 4.10's the MPG difference for the 4.10 was minimal even when combined with the 6.0 in the 1/2 ton chassis.   

Best truck GM has made to this day was the 05-07 5.3/6.0 stuff at LT/SLT+ trim level.   Reliable and the seats were the most comfortable of any vehicle i had and for once i wasn't dealing with intermediate shaft issues like i did in every one i owned from 99-04.   I know some still had the issues but my pair of 05's were great  

I do not look forward to giving up the couch like seats in my 06 

:(

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

My 2006 with 220k on it has the original shaft and it’s quiet as a church mouse. 

Now, lower column bearing on the other hand, I just replaced the original one of those this week. 

I was a steering/suspension/brake tech in a Chevy dealer from 2000-2007. Well versed on the i-shaft deal. No idea on how that was a deal breaker for some people back then but it is what it is. 

I did the borgeson, still clunks a smidge

59 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I agree, simple fix, but feels worse 

Some people ... thought the steering wheel was going to literally come off in their hands.

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Some people ... thought the steering wheel was going to literally come off in their hands.

Totally aware. Most of these people hadn’t washed their shit in months, had months worth of trash on the floor or had other steering/suspension parts LITERALLY falling the fuck off but god damn that stupid I shaft clunk. :flush:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Totally aware. Most of these people hadn’t washed their shit in months, had months worth of trash on the floor or had other steering/suspension parts LITERALLY falling the fuck off but god damn that stupid I shaft clunk. :flush:

Bonus points for shit on the floor that can get stuck under the pedals.

4 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Bonus points for shit on the floor that can get stuck under the pedals.

Had a Cavalier come in one time that needed a brake switch. Every inch of the interior except the drivers seat, center console, headliner and dash was covered in cans of cat food. Fucking thing stunk like hell too. Had an ASEP student at the time that got a quick lesson in why the job sucks the big one sometimes. 

Daily driver  mercedes 300 Turbo   800,000mi. -original engine., tranny. rear Differential.   

Jeep CRD. Liberty  140,000

.Mercedes SL320  55k

Macan 9k

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ICG said:

Daily driver  mercedes 300 Turbo   800,000mi. -original engine., tranny. rear Differential.   

.Mercedes SL320  55k

Macan 9k

So is that 300 one of the ones with the goofy wipers on the headlights or the respectable twin circle lights 

• Gold Member
11 hours ago, ICG said:

.Mercedes SL320  55k

Macan 9k

That’s pretty impressive 800k is a lot of miles. Are you the original owner and put all those miles on? Liberty at 140k is damn impressive too 😂

10 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

So is that 300 one of the ones with the goofy wipers on the headlights or the respectable twin circle lights 

Absolutely, it has wipers on the headlights..  and one windshield wiper.

The later Chrysler/ mercedes with the Round headlights are JUNK...  

Huge rust issues, cheaper quality in all ways, and NO TURBOS.  Lots of engine changes,  gut less wonders.

2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

That’s pretty impressive 800k is a lot of miles. Are you the original owner and put all those miles on? Liberty at 140k is damn impressive too 😂

Bought it as a dealer demo new...

I've driven it 99.95% of those miles.

Jeep runs great ...  in for rockers + paint.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ICG said:

.Mercedes SL320  55k

Macan 9k

9 minutes ago, ICG said:

Bought it as a dealer demo new...

I've driven it 99.95% of those miles.

Jeep runs great ...  in for rockers + paint.

Nice work.  :thumbsup:

On 10/19/2021 at 6:58 PM, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Gave up on the new truck every 2-3 years deal, back when Covid first hit. 

2006 Silverado HD - 220,000

2006 Grand Prix - 190,000

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee- 210,000

I don’t plan to replace either of mine soon and the wife won’t let that GC go for nothing. 

Silverado ever need Tranny work?

55 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Silverado ever need Tranny work?

Nope. Allison. Though I am going to freshen/beef it up (hopefully soon) so I can turn the engine up and not have to worry about hurting the trans.

• Like 1