High Mileage Vehicles

Tom of miles on my Tundra.  I’ve been looking for an upgrade for a couple years, haven’t found anything i like better yet.  Still looks good but she’s starting to show her age.  When the market pops, I’ll get something newer I guess.  I don’t really care much right now. 

1965 Olds 442….. paid 100 bucks for it in 1978. 100,000+ miles and counting.

1973 Jeep J4000….. Bought in 1979, 140,000+ miles and counting.

1969 Jeep J2000….. Built in 1990, 160,000+ miles and counting.

1970 Jeep J3000….. 455 Olds, built in 1998, 145,000 miles and counting.

1974 Jeep J20….. 4BT Cummins, NV4500, 205 T-case. Built in 2012, 215,000 + miles (starting from 0 in 2012) and counting.

1946 CJ2…. Just built this summer, ODO says 36,000 

2013 Gand Cherokee, wife’s, 146,000 miles.

Would take any of these anywhere anytime, screw the new shit. Only reason I have one with a computer in it is the wife ..

In shed toys, 92 Mitsubishi Fuso, 76 off-road Vette, 70 Scout that’s mint with 16,500 miles on it. 1998 ZR 500 hanging on the wall with 17,000 miles on it.

• Like 2

coworker has 2 civics right now,   a 98 with 210+- on it and an 06 Civic Hybrid with 260k+ on it he just picked up after he hit a car and caved the hood in on the 98.   Issue with both is body rot.  But he can't find anything better right now without paying over MSRP which as a former car guy he refuses to do so he just keeps driving them.  He should not have sold his toureg TDI in retrospect but got top dollar for it. 

4 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

I dont even want to know. I need a set on the 150 and the 250

Look at Discount Tire Direct.

Wife recently bought new Generals for her Avalanche, they gave her $25 off each tire and a use anywhere credit card for $75 more dollars, this was at L&M Fleet Supply.

Edited by XCR1250

4 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Look at Discount Tire Direct.

Wife recently bought new Generals for her Avalanche, they gave her $25 off each tire and a use anywhere credit card for $75 more dollars, this was at L&M Fleet Supply.

General's are a decent tire for the money

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Maybe I should have titled this thread... 'how many of your cars/trucks are less valuable than your snowmobile?' instead.  

My Duramax has appreciated since I bought it. Probably the last time I’ll ever be able to say that about a vehicle. 

• Like 3

On 10/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Gave up on the new truck every 2-3 years deal, back when Covid first hit. 

2006 Silverado HD - 220,000

2006 Grand Prix - 190,000

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee- 210,000

I don’t plan to replace either of mine soon and the wife won’t let that GC go for nothing. 

Finally let my 03 2500 HD 6L go a in 2016, just because It was looking kinda grubby body wise after 3 sets of rockers. 350,000 kms. Business vehicle has to look at least presentable.

Farm kid bought it and it's still hauling heavy shit to this day.

My 15 2500 HD has 80,000 kms now. I drive my 08 and 09 AWD 1500 express's with the 5.3 to keep the miles off the pickup.

Don't want to have to buy another 3/4 ton truck, it's just stupid what they are selling for.

I'd make 10 grand if I sold it today.

Edited by Voodoo

On 10/20/2021 at 2:51 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

Maybe I should have titled this thread... 'how many of your cars/trucks are less valuable than your snowmobile?' instead.  

i did that for a few years a couple times.  At the end of the 07 silverado i had a freeride worth more and then when i had the explorer i had another freeride that were worth about the same.  

16 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Finally let my 03 2500 HD 6L go a in 2016, just because It was looking kinda grubby body wise after 3 sets of rockers. 350,000 kms. Business vehicle has to look at least presentable.

Farm kid bought it and it's still hauling heavy shit to this day.

My 15 2500 HD has 80,000 kms now. I drive my 08 and 09 AWD 1500 express's with the 5.3 to keep the miles off the pickup.

Don't want to have to buy another 3/4 ton truck, it's just stupid what they are selling for.

I'd make 10 grand if I sold it today.

That 6L/4L80E HD powertrain combo has to be one of the best as far as longevity. My work car is the last of the 3800’s, my HD is an LBZ and the wife’s Jeep has a 4L in it. All some of the best engines as far as longevity ever made. 

The Michigan road salt is long on its way to killing the steel on them but amazingly the only one showing external rust right now is the truck. Hoping to take care of that next year sometime. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?

36 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

That 6L/4L80E HD powertrain combo has to be one of the best as far as longevity. My work car is the last of the 3800’s, my HD is an LBZ and the wife’s Jeep has a 4L in it. All some of the best engines as far as longevity ever made. 

The Michigan road salt is long on its way to killing the steel on them but amazingly the only one showing external rust right now is the truck. Hoping to take care of that next year sometime. 

I put 196k miles on my 2000 Tahoe with the 5.3.  It sounded like a bucket of bolts when you started it, but didn't burn oil and other than one PM sparkplug change and the normal oil and filters, it was reliable as hell for me.

22 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I put 196k miles on my 2000 Tahoe with the 5.3.  It sounded like a bucket of bolts when you started it, but didn't burn oil and other than one PM sparkplug change and the normal oil and filters, it was reliable as hell for me.

The old LM7 5.3’s were tough too. Early GM LS engine cold piston slap was a bit of a thorn in the side but I’ve never seen an engine fail from it and a lot of the Triton Fords did the same thing. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

The old LM7 5.3’s were tough too. Early GM LS engine cold piston slap was a bit of a thorn in the side but I’ve never seen an engine fail from it and a lot of the Triton Fords did the same thing. 

God those ford 5.4 were horendous. Underpowered gas pigs that liked to spit spark plugs.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

5.3 motors prior to the AFM were good.  Even if they were noisy they just ran and for all the complaints they were underpowered they were competitive in the class.  the 5.4 was far worse in economy and no better power.  I had a mix of 3.73 and 4.10's the MPG difference for the 4.10 was minimal even when combined with the 6.0 in the 1/2 ton chassis.   

Best truck GM has made to this day was the 05-07 5.3/6.0 stuff at LT/SLT+ trim level.   Reliable and the seats were the most comfortable of any vehicle i had and for once i wasn't dealing with intermediate shaft issues like i did in every one i owned from 99-04.   I know some still had the issues but my pair of 05's were great  

56 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

5.3 motors prior to the AFM were good.  Even if they were noisy they just ran and for all the complaints they were underpowered they were competitive in the class.  the 5.4 was far worse in economy and no better power.  I had a mix of 3.73 and 4.10's the MPG difference for the 4.10 was minimal even when combined with the 6.0 in the 1/2 ton chassis.   

Best truck GM has made to this day was the 05-07 5.3/6.0 stuff at LT/SLT+ trim level.   Reliable and the seats were the most comfortable of any vehicle i had and for once i wasn't dealing with intermediate shaft issues like i did in every one i owned from 99-04.   I know some still had the issues but my pair of 05's were great  

Both of the 2006's I owned had the intermediate shaft issues.  3/4 ton 8.1 and 1/2 ton 5.3.  Even after I switched to a new shaft, it did not take long for it to happen.  Only true fix was one made by Borgeson

I want a new truck, but really can't justify spending the money especially in today's market. Currently have a 12 GMC 2500 hd with 165,000 miles on the clock. Runs fantastic and has been extremely reliable, other than a transmission (torque converter) at the 105 mark. Had the original brakes and hubs changed at 150. Other than that the usual maintenance. I'd like to get 300,000 out of it if I can.

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Both of the 2006's I owned had the intermediate shaft issues.  3/4 ton 8.1 and 1/2 ton 5.3.  Even after I switched to a new shaft, it did not take long for it to happen.  Only true fix was one made by Borgeson

My 2006 with 220k on it has the original shaft and it’s quiet as a church mouse. 

Now, lower column bearing on the other hand, I just replaced the original one of those this week. 

I was a steering/suspension/brake tech in a Chevy dealer from 2000-2007. Well versed on the i-shaft deal. No idea on how that was a deal breaker for some people back then but it is what it is. 

22 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

My 2006 with 220k on it has the original shaft and it’s quiet as a church mouse. 

Now, lower column bearing on the other hand, I just replaced the original one of those this week. 

I was a steering/suspension/brake tech in a Chevy dealer from 2000-2007. Well versed on the i-shaft deal. No idea on how that was a deal breaker for some people back then but it is what it is. 

it was annoying but a simple fix.   I'd have the wife drop it off and take the service managers demo for the day.  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I agree, simple fix, but feels worse than what it is.