Check your account email address ×

Storm 150

Rod

9 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Um, its dinks balls.  But carry on.

1.75 is a bit much for Midwest trail riding IMO, because sometimes it gets pretty thin. And then you’re smoking hyfax. I.5 is just about right, and the storm track rocks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

1.75 is a bit much for Midwest trail riding IMO, because sometimes it gets pretty thin. And then you’re smoking hyfax. I.5 is just about right, and the storm track rocks.

That hasn't been my experience with other tracks.  My riding buddy and I had identical sleds except mine with a Backcountry and his with a Cobra.  In low snow I always ran cooler.  On pure ice we were both screwed of course.  That being said, I haven't tried the storm and will be.  I enjoyed the Intense on my IQR, but saw the BC as better in most conditions but both were completely acceptable.  If the new VR1 had a BC option I'd order it, but since I can't I will settle for the Storm instead of trading tracks.  Year away for me though.

16 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

That hasn't been my experience with other tracks.  My riding buddy and I had identical sleds except mine with a Backcountry and his with a Cobra.  In low snow I always ran cooler.  On pure ice we were both screwed of course.  That being said, I haven't tried the storm and will be.  I enjoyed the Intense on my IQR, but saw the BC as better in most conditions but both were completely acceptable.  If the new VR1 had a BC option I'd order it, but since I can't I will settle for the Storm instead of trading tracks.  Year away for me though.

One thing I noticed with my Freeride with the 1.75 Powdermax vs my Backcountry 146 with the 1.6 Cobra is it overheats way easier, at least it seems that way in my experience.  I probably only had my scratchers down a couple times in the 2 years I ran the Freeride.  My Backcountry seems like I have them down almost all the time when the snow gets thin.  I don't know if the tracks had anything to do wit it.  And I actually thought the 1.75 was much more stable than the 1.6 in the hardpan or icy conditions, my Backcountry gets pretty squirrely in comparison.  I put in some Bergstrom screw in carbide studs, and that seemed to fix the problem.  I had a Cobra on my XF1100 turbo back in 12-13, and that thing spit lugs like it was its job.  So far no lugs torn on my Backcountry with around 1900 miles   :bc: 

Most fun I have is with sno X tracks tbh

but were doing longer and longer miles so gonna try a good 1.5 for a balance between traction and economy and durability 

Edited by ACE

6 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

One thing I noticed with my Freeride with the 1.75 Powdermax vs my Backcountry 146 with the 1.6 Cobra is it overheats way easier, at least it seems that way in my experience.  I probably only had my scratchers down a couple times in the 2 years I ran the Freeride.  My Backcountry seems like I have them down almost all the time when the snow gets thin.  I don't know if the tracks had anything to do wit it.  And I actually thought the 1.75 was much more stable than the 1.6 in the hardpan or icy conditions, my Backcountry gets pretty squirrely in comparison.  I put in some Bergstrom screw in carbide studs, and that seemed to fix the problem.  I had a Cobra on my XF1100 turbo back in 12-13, and that thing spit lugs like it was its job.  So far no lugs torn on my Backcountry with around 1900 miles   :bc: 

having gone 1.75 to 1.6IC to 1.75 to 1.6IC again i think overall the 1.75 is better although the studs in the cobra are nice when you stop on an icy spot.  it does not wear anywhere near as good.  that 1.75 is impressive.  Which scratchers are you running tunnel mount or the rail mount.  i have rail mount and in the 400 miles i rode it I did have them down more than other sleds I have had.