Which sled manufacturer will follow Ford's lead on this first?

Well written.  Especially the intro.  For that I say, KUDOS! :lol:

As for the rest, meh….and Poo will follow suite although, If we are being honest, Doo is close behind with the “wide load” riders and Cat has their own group of fatties called “Turbo-Tards”.

Jesus!  I need to lose a couple of pounds….that must be why I catch myself wanting to visit the Poo site!  

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Well written.  Especially the intro.  For that I say, KUDOS! :lol:

As for the rest, meh….and Poo will follow suite although, If we are being honest, Doo is close behind with the “wide load” riders and Cat has their own group of fatties called “Turbo-Tards”.

Jesus!  I need to lose a couple of pounds….that must be why I catch myself wanting to visit the Poo site!  

You might want to consider the heavier springs found in the race manual.  It's in the same section as the gearing.  ;)

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

You might want to consider the heavier springs found in the race manual.  It's in the same section as the gearing.  ;)

I put the “fat boy” springs in my Xrs years ago.  I really liked them.  Made a nice difference in stiffening up the ride.  Don’t think I need them in the Cat though.  Never have anyway.

Makes you wonder…how many never think to put stiffer springs in their shit? I think of you are pushing 2-fiddy with gear, one may want to take a look at the upgrade.

14 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I put the “fat boy” springs in my Xrs years ago.  I really liked them.  Made a nice difference in stiffening up the ride.  Don’t think I need them in the Cat though.  Never have anyway.

Makes you wonder…how many never think to put stiffer springs in their shit? I think of you are pushing 2-fiddy with gear, one may want to take a look at the upgrade.

Au contraire, Polaris knows they're the #1 choice of the lard asses.   

https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/shocks-suspension/2884975/

Look forward to seeing those heavy payload taillights flickering in the snow dust some day. 

:lol:

Y'all want a piece of me?

I'm not fat.....it's just that I have an excessive amount of back hair.....

And no- I don't fit the above stereotype. Polaris hasn't actually delivered a sled to me yet. So, no fat boy springs for me. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://jalopnik.com/ford-f-150-taillights-have-a-feature-previously-unknown-1847854319 

My guess is Polaris as they have the greatest number of overweight and out of shape riders.

They sell the most mountian sleds by far now days so you are prob wrong yet again 

1 hour ago, Ziemann said:

Y'all want a piece of me?

I'm not fat.....it's just that I have an excessive amount of back hair.....

And no- I don't fit the above stereotype. Polaris hasn't actually delivered a sled to me yet. So, no fat boy springs for me. 

Did you outgrow your Cat Z?

6 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

They sell the most mountian sleds by far now days so you are prob wrong yet again 

Maybe, I only see the trail fatties up here. 

• Like 1

I asked my wife (a redhead) the other night if she wanted to braid my back hair. I'm not surprised that I didn't get laid.....

With that said, I wonder if fat boy springs will be available or on back order?

Edited by Ziemann
Blew my Load
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ziemann said:

I'm about 300 lbs without clothes. So, I am assuming that if I end up with a VR1, I'm going to need fat boy springs. 

Back to the original topic at hand. 

What’s weird is, some stock springs must just be weak or, the OEM just assumes all riders are 160 lbs.  I fought my Doo suspension for a while before finally installing the “fat boy” springs.  Bam!  There it was.

I’m no tiny guy but, seems like any OEM spring should work easily for 225 lbs.  Cat just bakes HD shit in their sleds I guess.  Ever have to swap springs for your Cats?

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'm by no means a small man and I've never found the need for heavier springs than factory.   For the most part if you don't occasionally bottom on hard hits then your suspension is set too stiff to begin with even for aggressive trail riding. 

I built a motocross track on my property with smaller jumps that we ride in the winter and I don't recall ever bottoming out when I have the suspension set up for it.   Its not like we go looking for rough trails either and on some rough trails going really hard most of the bumps you are riding over the top or not working the suspension all the way thru its travel.  

20 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Au contraire, Polaris knows they're the #1 choice of the lard asses.   

https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/shocks-suspension/2884975/

Look forward to seeing those heavy payload taillights flickering in the snow dust some day. 

Mine will flicker……

With your MOM riding on the back with me. 

18 hours ago, poopooforme said:

Fat and lazy here.  So here is me changing my old sleds springs....  :bum:

IMG_20191214_093416181.jpg

IMG_20191214_093339629.jpg

Who’s center skid spring did you use? 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
30 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Mine will flicker……

With your MOM riding on the back with me. 

Who’s center skid spring did you use? 

Hygear.  I gave them my weight and they sent me all the springs.  They must have changed some FTS geometry from that axys in the pic to my 21 maytrx.  I had to tighten the retainer all the way just to hold that same spring in there.  Makes a big difference though.  I noticed on my axys how much better the headlight worked with keeping the ass end up in the air....  

1 minute ago, poopooforme said:

Hygear.  I gave them my weight and they sent me all the springs.  They must have changed some FTS geometry from that axys in the pic to my 21 maytrx.  I had to tighten the retainer all the way just to hold that same spring in there.  Makes a big difference though.  I noticed on my axys how much better the headlight worked with keeping the ass end up in the air....  

I already have the torsions I want. I’ll have to get with Hygear for the center spring. :thumbsup:

On 10/14/2021 at 9:16 AM, Ziemann said:

I'm about 300 lbs without clothes. So, I am assuming that if I end up with a VR1, I'm going to need fat boy springs. 

TBH i thought it was decent at 270 with regular springs but yes long term you will def want them.  

On 10/14/2021 at 8:16 AM, Ziemann said:

7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

TBH i thought it was decent at 270 with regular springs but yes long term you will def want them.  

I didn't get any seat time on my Matryx, but my '19 Indy should be a good enough comparison.  I'm in that 270 range, geared up, and the stock springs were OK ... but there's no doubt in my mind it would have been better with the heavier torsions.  When I got my Matryx last season, I installed the heavier springs ... but never rode it.  I ended up throwing the stock springs back on it when I sold it & plan to use the heavier ones on my XCR if I need to (I plan to ride my XCR "stock" before I do anything to it).