COLA 2022: Big Social Security benefits increase announced this week

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

The average American is seeing a $100.00 per month gas increase.  The rest will be depleted at the supermarket. If you really believe you got a raise, I have a bridge I would like to sell you. 

Yep, I read the average American is spending $175 more per month to live, so you guys are $19 in the hole after your SS raise..:lol:Way to go Joe!!

1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

A "Yay look at me while I try and guilt trip you" thread   SMH

Hey I've been paying in for almost 50 years, and my employer has been matching it.  When I was self employed that means I was paying in that 15.3% of my salary in fica and medicare taxes.  You want a revolution in this country?  Try taking away peoples SS benefits.  What I'll get out would have been 2-3x as much if it was invested properly in the markets all during that time.  Instead the government dips into it, overspends, and we have dipshits blaming baby boomers for being selfish.  Shut the fuck up already.  Wait until you're near retirement and we'll see how you feel.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Hey I've been paying in for almost 50 years, and my employer has been matching it.  When I was self employed that means I was paying in that 15.3% of my salary in fica and medicare taxes.  You want a revolution in this country?  Try taking away peoples SS benefits.  What I'll get out would have been 2-3x as much if it was invested properly in the markets all during that time.  Instead the government dips into it, overspends, and we have dipshits blaming baby boomers for being selfish.  Shut the fuck up already.  Wait until you're near retirement and we'll see how you feel.

I don't think he meant anything like this.  I think we all realize that SS should be way more than what it is and most of us agree that the government is constantly taking money from the SS fund to give it to other programs which is not the right thing to do.  SS isn't going away, as it would cause a revolution, but why is it that the government always says SS is going to run out, but they always have money for social welfare programs?

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

You pay into it you deserve every bit of it when you retire. I'm in no way objecting to that. My guilt trip comment was about one who has to tell someone they don't care about certain people. At the same time bringing in either 'Trump" or "Republicans" like he always does.

I can only hope SS will still be here when I retire as long as these greedy dirty fucks in Washington don't deplete it entirely

11 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Republicans wouldn’t do it….but your not one anyways.

No they did not make people close there buisness so people could not work and disrupt supply chains causing shortages and the massive price spikes to follow . That would be your heros 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

But I thought is was safe in a box 📦

14 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

There’s some older people who have a $75 a month or less food budget. It’s easy to criticize them for not planning better. But that’s the reality of their situation. An extra $50-70 makes a big difference. 

Next year’s cost-of-living adjustment, or COLA, will be 5.9%, the Social Security Administration said Wednesday.

On an annual basis, inflation picked up, with CPI rising 5.4% in September from a year earlier, in unadjusted terms, a slight uptick from August and the same rate as in June and July, which was the highest since 2008. The so-called core price index, which excludes the often-volatile categories of food and energy, in September climbed 4% from a year earlier, the same rate as in August.

The poor relying on SS spend a disproportionate amount of their income on food and energy.   The SS COLA is up 5.9% but the CPI is up 5.4% and that excludes food and energy.  That $75 food budget is now probably completely wiped out, even with the COLA.

This is an all around inflation and supply chain disaster.

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

If you inherited a 18-K Roth you'd be a Baller and wouldn't need SS.

• Haha 4

SS should not be tapped for anything but SS.  But at the same time i do not think people should be able to opt out.  While some would be far better served because they are responsible the average American is shitty with money and a safety net it needed.  I am also not a believer of taxing all wages for it when there is a limit to the benefit.   I've contributed max most years since 96 when i first capped out so maybe it is selfish but giving me nothing more would be unfair.       

On 10/13/2021 at 12:25 PM, 1jkw said:

If you inherited a 18-K Roth you'd be a Baller and wouldn't need SS.

If either of you two had the balls to stand up to me, you'd see what I got in Roth, you two light-weights. 

17 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

SS should not be tapped for anything but SS.  But at the same time i do not think people should be able to opt out.  While some would be far better served because they are responsible the average American is shitty with money and a safety net it needed.  I am also not a believer of taxing all wages for it when there is a limit to the benefit.   I've contributed max most years since 96 when i first capped out so maybe it is selfish but giving me nothing more would be unfair.       

Here is my take on SS....

If you were a financial planner and trying to sell me an investment that would require me to invest almost 14% of my income (self employed)  for my entire life. Then at the end of my working career my investments only yielded about 2% above the Rate of inflation, I would be disappointed. 

Then at retirement, you tell me I can't take 50k out to buy a pontoon boat to enjoy my golden years...I only get MY money back in dribs and drabs. Again, I would be disappointed.  

Then should I die at a young age I can't leave the balance of MY account to my heirs...I would be disappointed again.

What are the chances that a financial planner could sell that plan?     

Zero...

"Democrats ideas so good they have to be mandatory "

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mainecat said:

AlGore wanted it in a lock box……but you know he lost by a chad.

“I will keep Social Security in a lockbox, and that pays down the national debt.” Well, which is it? If you take the Social Security surplus each year and use it to pay down the national debt, you’re not exactly keeping Social Security funds in a lockbox.

You still don't know shit, a one trick pony...

On 10/11/2021 at 11:43 PM, Kivalo said:

I thought SS was pretty much insolvent? 

Anyway, you're welcome you boomer fucksticks, I'll keep working to pay you whilst I stand a snowball's chance in hell of collecting my own. Faggots!

:lol:  :bc:

Thank you I'll be joining that very soon.

3 hours ago, SkisNH said:

If you were a financial planner and trying to sell me an investment that would require me to invest almost 14% of my income (self employed)  for my entire life. Then at the end of my working career my investments only yielded about 2% above the Rate of inflation, I would be disappointed. 

Then at retirement, you tell me I can't take 50k out to buy a pontoon boat to enjoy my golden years...I only get MY money back in dribs and drabs. Again, I would be disappointed.  

Then should I die at a young age I can't leave the balance of MY account to my heirs...I would be disappointed again.

Zero...

Doesn't take many of the dipshits here to fall for it.

3 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Zero...

issue is way to many save nothing so the safety net is needed.  I certainly would have been better off investing but I am a saver.  Shit is see clients in their 50's that don't have 6 figures in retirement savings and have no pension.  those guys are fucked IMO at having any sort of decent retirement.