California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws

Washington Examiner

California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws

Asher Notheis
Sun, October 10, 2021, 12:46 PM

61219f21b8b8c4d2fb7106de3b3b9e22

California took another step toward its goal of ridding the state of all gas-powered engines thanks to a new bill signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom on Saturday.

The new law will ban the sale of all off-road, gas-powered engines, including generators, lawn equipment, pressure washers, chainsaws, weed trimmers, and even golf carts. Under the new law, these machines must be zero-emissions, meaning they will have to be either battery-powered or plug-in, according to the Los Angeles Times.

"This is a pretty modest approach to trying to limit the massive amounts of pollution that this equipment emits, not to mention the health impact on the workers who are using it constantly," Marc Berman, the bill's author, told the outlet. "It’s amazing how people react when they learn how much this equipment pollutes, and how much smog forming and climate changing emissions that small off-road engine equipment creates."

The new law is expected to affect nearly 50,000 small businesses. California's budget includes $30 million to help professional landscapers and gardeners quit using gas-powered equipment, but even then, the budget is still not capable of bearing the full financial burden.

The National Association of Landscape Professionals also noted how zero-emission commercial equipment is both more expensive and less efficient than gas-powered equipment. A gas-powered riding lawn mower costs between $7,000-$11,000 while the zero-emissions version costs more than twice that amount, according to the outlet.

The new rule will be implemented by January 2024, or as soon as regulators determine is "feasible," whichever date is later. The California Air Resources Board has already started working on executing the law, which is a lengthy process scheduled to conclude early next year, per the outlet.

Newsom banning futures purchases of gas-powered lawn equipment continues his pursuit of making California run exclusively on green energy. The governor signed an executive order in September 2020 mandating that all of California’s new car sales be zero-emissions models by 2035. The order also requires new bus and truck sales, whenever feasible, to be zero-emissions vehicles by 2045.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

:lol:

This is excellent.  A true study of the fail of a civilization.

All it does is hurt the lower and middle class again.  The people that can't afford the latest and greatest as far as technology goes.  It really is a true study in the idiocy of liberals.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

All it does is hurt the lower and middle class again.  The people that can't afford the latest and greatest as far as technology goes.  It really is a true study in the idiocy of liberals.

Right, but it will be systematic racism to enforce these laws against minorities.  So the law will really just apply to existing successful businesses.

13 minutes ago, F3600 said:

Right, but it will be systematic racism to enforce these laws against minorities.  So the law will really just apply to existing successful businesses.

They are engaging in what should be considered class warfare.

I’ve gone electric in my “garden” equipment and some other things. So far my list is string trimmer, chainsaw, leaf blower, and hedge clipper. All are Milwaukee and use the same batteries. All of these outperform their gas counterparts size for size and are much quieter and a joy to run. I’m still on my 30 year old John Deere for mowing, but if it gave up the ghost I wouldn’t count out electric if feasible. 

Cali is big and if the usual laws of supply and demand apply, production of electric will go way up and cost will come down…while getting better. Look at microwaves, cell phones TVs and computers. 

My ice auger is an ION and works fantastic. No more stinking gas on the ice fishing spot. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Phenom said:

I’ve gone electric in my “garden” equipment and some other things. So far my list is string trimmer, chainsaw, leaf blower, and hedge clipper. All are Milwaukee and use the same batteries. All of these outperform their gas counterparts size for size and are much quieter and a joy to run. I’m still on my 30 year old John Deere for mowing, but if it gave up the ghost I wouldn’t count out electric if feasible. 

Cali is big and if the usual laws of supply and demand apply, production of electric will go way up and cost will come down…while getting better. Look at microwaves, cell phones TVs and computers. 

My ice auger is an ION and works fantastic. No more stinking gas on the ice fishing spot. 

Battery stuff works great for the average homeowner

Like I said, size for size and I’m comparing my Milwaukee to their Stihl counterparts, and those are top of the line gas. I would maybe have gone Stihl battery, but I already had the Milwaukee batteries from my M18 cordless tools which are drills, grinders, lights, sawzalls, circular saws, and a few more. The cost is mitigated when sticking with an individual battery group as their all interchangeable. 

I believe commercial size would easily duplicate this. Many of the tools I own are also used by professionals in their trades. 

3 minutes ago, Phenom said:

Like I said, size for size and I’m comparing my Milwaukee to their Stihl counterparts, and those are top of the line gas. I would maybe have gone Stihl battery, but I already had the Milwaukee batteries from my M18 cordless tools which are drills, grinders, lights, sawzalls, circular saws, and a few more. The cost is mitigated when sticking with an individual battery group as their all interchangeable. 

I believe commercial size would easily duplicate this. Many of the tools I own are also used by professionals in their trades. 

This is a law that directly effects the middle class.  They are the majority that will be having to change because of this law.  Class warfare on a different scale.

Edited by racer254

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

This is a law that directly effects the middle class.  They are the majority that will be having to change because of this law.

I’m middle class, single income and transitioning just fine. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Phenom said:

It's not there yet with run time, cost, and durability. Maybe some day, but not anytime in the near future

Just now, Rigid1 said:

It's not there yet with run time, cost, and durability. Maybe some day, but not anytime in the near future

Do you actually own and run these Milwaukee tools?  I do and also their Stihl counterparts, and the Milwaukee give up nothing and outperform. 

• Haha 1