Billionaires and big corps are running out of places to hide.

48 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Even spelling it out for him I doubt moto is going to have enough live brain cells to process and understand.  While his ilk see it as a fallacy other motivated people understand that they can achieve in nearly anything if they work smart and put in the effort.  It's why he missed my mcdonald's response completely and why there will be wage disparities on the spectrum for all workers in all types of jobs.  

In the case of moto's extremely limited cognitive abilities he wiffed on two levels.  First, that servers can in fact make a decent living without a degree of any kind AND that employers paying double the minimum wage for help will somehow keep prices of their goods and services the same. 

The fact he does not realize either is evidence enough of that his brain is dead and his cheerleaders in this thread are rowing the same boat.  None of theme realizing it's just going in circles. 

You can't charge more for your products if the market won't bear the price increase. 

Learn some basic economics, genius  

4 hours ago, jdsky said:

Agree and some of that thought process is on display in this thread blaming "the rich" for their problems whatever being "rich" these days actually means.  Fucking ridiculous and the reason it's so easy for anyone with even a little ambition to get ahead today.

When every company on the planet is hiring all you need is half a working brain and a willingness to expend some effort to grab a job that just a few months ago many would never have been previously considered for. 

Opportunity is there but then you have threads like these that prove there is a serious problem with the declining mental ability of the general population.    

The wealthy and today’s corporations are able to buy influence and access to elected officials. Now the country is at a point where it’s electing so called billionaires with the silly belief that they can’t be bought. 

4 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

You can't charge more for your products if the market won't bear the price increase. 

Tell me economics shit for brains.  What calculation do you use to figure out exactly "what the market will bear?"

Can't wait.  Maybe it's something I can use the next time I figure out how to price the goods and services my company provides.

8 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Tell me economics shit for brains.  What calculation do you use to figure out exactly "what the market will bear?"

Can't wait.  Maybe it's something I can use the next time I figure out how to price the goods and services my company provides.

The market dictates the price of goods and services, not the producer. 

If your COGS plus your margin exceeds the price the market will bear, you're going to have to eat the difference or you won't sell your shit.

Why do I need to explain such a basic concept to self proclaimed economic experts? 

You're clearly not experts, you're barely fucking sentient. 

Edited by motonoggin

10 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

The market dictates the price of goods and services, not the producer. 

If your COGS plus your margin exceeds the price the market will bear, you're going to have to eat the difference or you won't sell your shit.

Still waiting for your "what the market will bear" formula.  Take your time, google some more.

1 minute ago, jdsky said:

Still waiting for your "what the market will bear" formula.  Take your time, google some more.

Im not googling anything. 

If your COGS+margin are greater than the price the market will bear, you either have to reduce your margin or your COGS. 

That means either you eat it or you go out of business. 

Supply and demand, dude. It's econ 101.

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

If your COGS+margin are greater than the price the market will bear, you either have to reduce your margin or your COGS. 

I really don't give two shits about your junior high economics lessons.  At least acknowledge the fact there is no "market will bear" magic formula and it takes far more than middle school economics textbook lessons to run a successful company.  Does not matter if your revenue is $1M or $100B.  I have worked in both realities.  

Keep googling better.  You might even accidentally stumble on the real answer but I doubt it.  So far you have proven you cannot see the big picture let alone understand it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdsky said:

I really don't give two shits about your junior high economics lessons.  At least acknowledge the fact there is no "market will bear" magic formula and it takes far more than middle school economics textbook lessons to run a successful company.  Does not matter if your revenue is $1M or $100B.  I have worked in both realities.  

Keep googling better.  You might even accidentally stumble on the real answer but I doubt it.  So far you have proven you cannot see the big picture let alone understand it. 

The reality is you can't just raise prices willy nilly and expect people to just pay them. 

If they do, good for you, but if they don't, you have to eat the difference in order to sell. That's just the reality of markets. 

There isn't a magic formula, as you know, and I never said there was. It's all trial and error. 

Bottom line is, if your COGS go up, you may have to reduce your margins. Long term you should try to reduce your COGS so you can regain your margins if the market won't support higher prices. 

So it's not so cut and dried as "labor goes up, the selling price goes up." You don't control your pricing, the market does. 

38 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

The reality is you can't just raise prices willy nilly and expect people to just pay them. 

If they do, good for you, but if they don't, you have to eat the difference in order to sell. That's just the reality of markets. 

There isn't a magic formula, as you know, and I never said there was. It's all trial and error. 

Bottom line is, if your COGS go up, you may have to reduce your margins. Long term you should try to reduce your COGS so you can regain your margins if the market won't support higher prices. 

So it's not so cut and dried as "labor goes up, the selling price goes up." You don't control your pricing, the market does. 

The last method I would ever recommend anyone use is "trial and error" when determining the price to compete with.

Since your view is narrowly defined by middle school economics I will shed more light.  Some companies very well may use "willy nilly" pricing tactics, that may even work at times and there will likely be customers paying the price.  The method I learned and use is to know my competition inside out and upside down.  I know exactly what products and services they are providing and how I am going to compete in the market.  Price is LAST on the list of most important factors and almost any customer I have met over the decades will echo that sentiment when asking them how they make purchasing decisions.

This always provides me with the runway to increase prices when the cost of labor or in staying on topic with the thread my taxes go up I increase prices - every time - to maintain my margins.  I'll even give you three guesses as to what happens when I do this?  My competition also RAISES prices.  What does "the market" do in this case?  Buy, die or do otherwise but I don't care as long as I continue to keep my employees paid and I'm able to continue doing business for a reasonable return on my time and effort.  Period end of story.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Take the next step...what would happen? Would the company just be less profitable?  Would they fire more expensive employees?  Would they off shore their entire operation?  

Tell us oh wise one....they certainly aren't going to just take it in the shorts. 

17 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Take the next step...what would happen? Would the company just be less profitable?  Would they fire more expensive employees?  Would they off shore their entire operation?  

Tell us oh wise one....they certainly aren't going to just take it in the shorts. 

They will take a bite in the short term, and then yes, they would seek the best long term solution to cut costs. Probably automation in the current climate. That's what we've done because labor is tight around here. 

moto has no clue and obviously does not even buy shit these days.  Prices of everything have skyrocketed and will continue to go up as the increased costs of everything get passed on to the consumer.  That includes labor costs and taxes if the dumbocrats in office are really dumb enough to tax the very entities that can put people back to work with better than walmart wages.

Some are dumb enough to believe these newly found $18 an hour non-skilled jobs are going to save the working poor when in fact the cost of living is outpacing these wage increases by a large margin.

4 minutes ago, jdsky said:

moto has no clue and obviously does not even buy shit these days.  Prices of everything have skyrocketed and will continue to go up as the increased costs of everything get passed on to the consumer.  That includes labor costs and taxes if the dumbocrats in office are really dumb enough to tax the very entities that can put people back to work with better than walmart wages.

Some are dumb enough to believe these newly found $18 an hour non-skilled jobs are going to save the working poor when in fact the cost of living is outpacing these wage increases by a large margin.

Well of course $18 isn't gonna save the economy, because wages have been stagnant for over 40 fucking years. 

Got a long way to go before wages catch up, bud.

8 hours ago, motonoggin said:

If all businesses are having to pay increased taxes, or what ever component of business expenses that rise across the board then yes, to a degree you will get your increase in price. There are so many variables in today’s business world that will allow a business to raise prices. Just having a higher price then the competition will net you sales as people today are willing to throw money at a more expensive option in belief they are getting a better product or service. ie, apple, union labor, and countless other things. 

2 minutes ago, JEFF said:

If all businesses are having to pay increased taxes, or what ever component of business expenses that rise across the board then yes, to a degree you will get your increase in price. There are so many variables in today’s business world that will allow a business to raise prices. Just having a higher price then the competition will net you sales as people today are willing to throw money at a more expensive option in belief they are getting a better product or service. ie, apple, union labor, and countless other things. 

Sounds like a great system...

22 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Well of course $18 isn't gonna save the economy, because wages have been stagnant for over 40 fucking years. 

Got a long way to go before wages catch up, bud.

What do you pay your” employees” 

3 hours ago, Sleepr2 said:

Afraid to admit your hypocrisy eh?

No, it's just not your business

17 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

He's automating, so he doesn't have to pay them at all....

No one that works for us has lost their job due to automation

20 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

He's automating, so he doesn't have to pay them at all....

3 hours ago, Sleepr2 said:

Afraid to admit your hypocrisy eh?

Why don't you two dipshits huddle up and make up some more bullshit stories? 

1 hour ago, motonoggin said:

No one that works for us has lost their job due to automation

You can choose to look at it like that or you can say x people didn't get hired because of automation.  Those x people don't get health insurance,  have pay to buy food for their families,  money for housing and shelter.  On the plus side they don't ask for a raise, complain about having to work overtime, need a workers comp policy....

But you do you comrade...

1 minute ago, SkisNH said:

You can choose to look at it like that or you can say x people didn't get hired because of automation.  Those x people don't get health insurance,  have pay to buy food for their families,  money for housing and shelter.  On the plus side they don't ask for a raise, complain about having to work overtime, need a workers comp policy....

But you do you comrade...

Automation is necessary for the transition to communism. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 hours ago, motonoggin said:

That means either you eat it or you go out of business. 

Supply and demand, dude. It's econ 101.

Well there's a bit more to it than COGS and Margin.  :lol:  

• Thanks 1