How many people do you personally know that are harboring adult aged children at home?

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

When I was 18 I was working and got the fuck out of the house as quickly as possible.  

But that was long ago... 

Yep....and all my friends were that way too.  Imagine not being scared to spread your wings and fly.

Just now, Cold War said:

This. 
My dad said ..you live under my roof, my rules. Don’t like it , theres the door. 
Okay, see yah. 
worked out good as far as our relationship. Same with my son. Since he moved out we are closer than ever. 

Yep.  I think now the kids call the cops.

• Like 1

my sons in college still and i struggle a bit with him living at home but Covid cancelled he semester abroad that he moved home for and it makes no sense now.  But June 1 2022 that fuckers out.  he worked 50 hours a week this summer and 30 during the school year so he's self sufficient other than the roof over his head now.  My 20 year old stayed out in her apartment in OH this summer after getting a job out there during the school year.   She manages some smoothie shop for shit wages but it's OH

I owned my first place as a jr in college,   but RE was at the low at the time and i was much more motivated to be on my own.  

Edited by Angry ginger

• Gold Member

Just for shits and giggles I looked up the two bedroom apartment in Nashua my bud and I rented out of high school. It now cost 1,825 a month plus utilities. That’s insane just to rent I’m glad I’m not starting out right now 😂 

Edited by 800renegaderider

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

I know of one but several with their kids on the 6-10 year college plan….for a four year degree.  No majors declared yet.  You know, just gonna see how it plays out.  :lol:

Is that counting the "year off" they took after high school?

• Platinum Contributing Member
40 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

GOP’ers don’t keep their kids at home past what age? 

Im sure that is all different for different situations wether you're a republican or a democrat. It would be idiotic to try and lump a group of people together based on their political leanings on how long they let a child live with them. Completely idiotic...

17 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

Got the f out when I was 17.  Was working two part time jobs at 16.  Its amazing what instilling a strong work ethic does for kids.  

Yup, my son has worked with me since he was 14 and my daughter got a job within a month of getting her driver's license, 16 1/2. I had a job at 10, mowed 4-5 lawns in my neighborhood, had a real job at 13 working at Hershey Park, and I moved out at 19 once we got settled from moving to Syracuse.

We have a couple neighbours that are harbouring fugitives lol. The one couple have a daughter ( that works) with a boyfriend and 2 little girls and 2 boxers living there and they're stuck looking after the girls and dogs all the time. The other couple have a daughter in her late 30"s living with them that we believe has been home schooled and never went to a school. The mother seems to be a wacko and rules the roost.

6 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Im sure that is all different for different situations wether you're a republican or a democrat. It would be idiotic to try and lump a group of people together based on their political leanings on how long they let a child live with them. Completely idiotic...

:lol: 

Just now, teamgreen02 said:

Is that counting the "year off" they took after high school?

Not sure.  The do have a lot of backpacks at their house though.  Maybe they headed to Europe to "find themselves" first.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

PowerlessForcefulBrownbutterfly-max-1mb.gif.a52f72882d9bdfd54d370bfa24183640.gif

Just now, Zambroski said:

Not sure.  The do have a lot of backpacks at their house though.  Maybe they headed to Europe to "find themselves" first.

The old "haven't decided on a major yet" routine.  As long as mom and dad's credit card keeps working they will be alright.

Just now, teamgreen02 said:

The old "haven't decided on a major yet" routine.  As long as mom and dad's credit card keeps working they will be alright.

I think the established, but unpublished, major is called, "How to stay clear of the real world on somebody else's dime".  Or, "Career Educator".

Both work.

2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Just for shits and giggles I looked up the two bedroom apartment in Nashua my bud and I rented out of high school. It now cost 1,825 a month plus utilities. That’s insane just to rent I’m glad I’m not starting out right now 😂 

that is a legit issue.  i have friends who bought houses for their kids to live in with reasonable rent.  I actually looked at one for that a few weeks back.  Payment would have been $1500 on it so my son could get 2 roommates at 500 per person but no idea if he's sticking around after graduation.  I think h should explore the world 

• Gold Member
31 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

that is a legit issue.  i have friends who bought houses for their kids to live in with reasonable rent.  I actually looked at one for that a few weeks back.  Payment would have been $1500 on it so my son could get 2 roommates at 500 per person but no idea if he's sticking around after graduation.  I think h should explore the world 

huge issue and probably why a lot of young adults aren’t moving out. I’d rather my kid live with me and save for a house than throw money at rent especially if they know they want to stay in the area. They’d have to be saving though they start slacking off or show up with a new Benz they get the boot in the ass out the door.

That buddy I rented that apartment with bought his house same time as me and that’s exactly what he did. He had two guys living with him that paid his entire mortgage. He did that for ten years and paid the house off. If you can live with people awesome way to basically live rent free.

Edited by 800renegaderider

I was ready to leave at 20 but mom wasn't ready to move to an apartment.  She liked the house and toiling in the gardens so I assumed the mortgage and she started to pay me a tiny bit of rent. Eventually my fiance and I were ready to move and get our own place and mom wanted to hit the apartment by then , so we moved her out I moved in the fiance.  We eventually sold and moved to the country 

Edited by snatchslayer

I have multiple customers dealing with it. Many are working remotely and have moved into their second homes to get away from their kids. 

I bet in the last week I have talked to at least 15 or so dealing with it.

Some just let it go, some are pissed and fighting with their spouses about it.