Backers - square, round, aluminum or plastic

Every year we have the "what's the best stud to use" thread.  Always debatable with good information but basically they all serve the same purpose.  Backers offer a little more variety and options.  I've used Fast-Trac backers for years have never broke any so they've been good for me.  Use a combination of round and double backers

Been using their Top Gun 2 studs for a 2 ply track but have been using their SP (single ply) backers which has a slightly larger dia.  A little info here is if you use their Air Lite XL double backers which is the normal backer for the Top Gun 2 studs when you tighten them the studs will tip in towards each other slightly.  If you use the SP double backers they have a little wider center to center and when you tighten the studs they do not tip.    

20181007_152223.jpg

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of the Air Lite XL's from FastTrac, and they've been my primary backer type for most of my sleds.  I changed things up with my 2018 Assault by going with the Performance Stud Star backers & actually going to try them again with my XCR if it ever comes in.  Other than those two, I tried going with iGRIP studs on my 2021 but never rode the sled so never had a chance to see how they work.  That sled had a 1.5 Storm track though ... my XCR is gonna have a Cobra on it.  This was my Assault track with the Performance Stud Stars:

stud_install3-jpg.1899626

FastTrac on a single ply Cobra and thanks for the reminder to check and tighten them all when I have the skid out of the 500

Trying an Ice Attak XT on the 720 this season just to see how it works on groomed trail and to turn less rotating mass. 

If I’m the one studding the track, Top Gun 2s with airlite backers. 

This used track I just bought looks to have stud boys in it, with aluminum square backers that are all twisted up. I’ll be straightening backers and rechecking torque on all the nuts before I put the track in my Indy. 

I am still a big fan of Stud Star backers but I was not willing to roll the dice on the single ply tracks. Still a Mega bite fan from Woody's and I still use them to this day. 

17498489_1503291433016766_4228831240070160759_n.jpg

51518398_2311098738902694_6095547985985273856_n.jpg

Edited by Badger**