What would the motor of choice be if Polaris offered all of these?

Doug

What would the motor of choice be if Polaris offered all of these?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What would the motor of choice be if Polaris offered all of these?

• 4 Stroke turbo
    • 4 Stroke N/A
    • 2 stroke triple/triple 800+cc N/A
    • 2 Stroke 850 twin Turbo
    • 2 Stroke 850 twin N/A
    • 2 Stroke 650 twin Turbo
    • 2 stroke 650 N/a

18 hours ago, 1jkw said:

Took me a while to get it the way I liked it. I got my chassis from Ross Martin never even had gas in the tank, used stock engine straps redrilled, had the Brads plate but the angle was slightly different and the engine sat about an inch higher, the steering hoop was modified to keep the pipes lower, the thing I liked is it kept the stock headlight, brake duct, no cutting of the hood if you didn't here it run you wouldn't even know it was a triple.

I had to make a slight cutout in the front crossmember for the water pump and then welded a plate in to reinforce the crossmember where the cutout was.  It may or may not have cleared but only had about .12 clearance and didn't feel comfortable with that.  Had a 1999 XCR 800 donor sled so for the air box used the front plate from a 2002 XC800 cut the 3 hole in for the 3rd carb and trimmed on the XCR air box until it cleared everything then formed up some aluminum covers to close up the air box.  Steering was fine had to do a little trimming on the brake duct, no cutting on the hood with the headlight.  Had to shorten up the XCR stock can to clear the chain case.

Best I got it to ride was moving the front suspension pivot up in the tunnel shortened up the front shocks using spacers and revalved both rear shocks to slow them down for rebound.

Just never liked the handling of the sled for longer rides.  Pulled the motor out after the first season and sold everything as a kit and sold the chassis to a guy that put a 800 twin in. 

Edited by Doug

44 minutes ago, Doug said:

I had to make a slight cutout in the front crossmember for the water pump and then welded a plate in to reinforce the crossmember where the cutout was.  It may or may not have cleared but only had about .12 clearance and didn't feel comfortable with that.  Had a 1999 XCR 800 donor sled so for the air box used the front plate from a 2002 XC800 cut the 3 hole in for the 3rd carb and trimmed on the XCR air box until it cleared everything then formed up some aluminum covers to close up the air box.  Steering was fine had to do a little trimming on the brake duct, no cutting on the hood with the headlight.  Had to shorten up the XCR stock can to clear the chain case.

Best I got it to ride was moving the front suspension pivot up in the tunnel shortened up the front shocks using spacers and revalved both rear shocks to slow them down for rebound.

Just never liked the handling of the sled for longer rides.  Pulled the motor out after the first season and sold everything as a kit and sold the chassis to a guy that put a 800 twin in. 

I took out the cross brace on mine to clear the pump, I just tightened the limiter in the front 1", thought of moving the suspension up but didn't, left my front shocks stock length, I'm sure shortening would've helped I had the medium weight front springs left them very loose.  I got it where it was pretty good but the sled required a lot more rider input than I liked if I were in my 20's it would have been much more fun. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 5:47 AM, Tripleflipper said:

Don't see your vote on this poll Crnr. A while back you were were debating an XCR. Nothing here you would like to slam in that 

Yeah, a 425cc single cylinder. :lol:

But seriously, Polaris is going to have to enter the 4S segment eventually.  Why are they dragging their feet?

The two models I'd be interested in would be the Xcr 650 128" or if I could get my hands on one, possibly the Cross Country.