What would the motor of choice be if Polaris offered all of these?

Doug

What would the motor of choice be if Polaris offered all of these?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What would the motor of choice be if Polaris offered all of these?

• 4 Stroke turbo
    • 4 Stroke N/A
    • 2 stroke triple/triple 800+cc N/A
    • 2 Stroke 850 twin Turbo
    • 2 Stroke 850 twin N/A
    • 2 Stroke 650 twin Turbo
    • 2 stroke 650 N/a

Not sure what direction I would go with this.  Would be between the triple and turbo 850.  A lot would have to do on how the triple was packaged and the weight difference between these two.  In all practical purposes the 650 N/a would work fine but......... I never hurts to have a little extra 

I saw two Poo 4 stroke turbo test mules back in 2015.  The motor has to be ready for prime time.  Obviously development of the 850/650 along with chassis and other improvements they have focused on over the past 5 years is what has likely put it on the back burner.  

It depends on terrain and trails. Here a 600-800 is perfect. Very rare to see a ac/yamaha turbo. Very, very rare.

Edited by CFM

9 hours ago, CFM said:

It depends on terrain and trails. Here a 600-800 is perfect. Very rare to see a ac/yamaha turbo. Very, very rare.

You can ride anything on a trail, I want something for the ditch.  Superfast throttle response and as much power as possible while weighing nothing.

44 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

You can ride anything on a trail, I want something for the ditch.  Superfast throttle response and as much power as possible while weighing nothing.

Depends on the trails….especially the predominant type of trail you ride in your area. There are so many different types.

High strung, lightweight 4S. I would take that in a trail or off trail sled. High altitude/serious off trail technical riders are still going to want something 2S though because their shit spends too much time at angles that 4S oil systems don’t like. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 10:19 PM, CFM said:

Depends on the trails….especially the predominant type of trail you ride in your area. There are so many different types.

I was more literal in my response meaning I will take the trade off.  The one thing I couldn't handle is a big ass nose heavy 4s machine.  They are zero fun in our ditches and the trails I ride here are tight and not high speed point and shoot crap.  Throttle response to me trumps everything.

On 10/8/2021 at 5:02 AM, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

High strung, lightweight 4S. I would take that in a trail or off trail sled. 

If that existed I'd be in as well, but we aren't there yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I was more literal in my response meaning I will take the trade off.  The one thing I couldn't handle is a big ass nose heavy 4s machine.  They are zero fun in our ditches and the trails I ride here are tight and not high speed point and shoot crap.  Throttle response to me trumps everything.

If that existed I'd be in as well, but we aren't there yet.

Oh the tech to build one is most certainly there. The cost to do it would be too high and I’m sure they don’t believe the take rate would be worth it. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?

1 minute ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Oh the tech to build one is most certainly there. The cost to do it would be too high and I’m sure they don’t believe the take rate would be worth it. 

Indeed, hard to invest more than $10M into something with such a small sales base.

• Like 1

My love for a triple is strictly for nostalgia. But it would be tough for Polaris to justify it strictly for the older riders for nostalgia purposes. There would be limited benefit in this day and age of light weight sleds. 

• Like 1

Have a soft spot for triples and still have some sleds with triples in.  Handling wise had a 2002 XC800 that I put a triple in.  Fun sled but handling wise was better with the twin in it.

Fast forward 2022 for a triple you now have fuel injection and engine management that would make a triple even better.  But with the rider forward chassis layout, more compact engine compartment, need (or desire) to have triple pipes not sure how the package would work with the current layout of sleds.  Would be intriguing so see and ride for sure.

Current directions seems to be turbo charge in sleds and automotive.  Even my wife's Equinox is turbo changed.  Would really be intrigued to see a 3 cylinder 2 stroke in the current lineup of sleds but it seems turbo charge twins is the direction it's going.      

Edited by Doug

11 minutes ago, Doug said:

Have a soft spot for triples and still have some sleds with triples in.  Handling wise had a 2002 XC800 that I put a triple in.  Fun sled but handling wise was better with the twin in it.

Fast forward 2022 for a triple you now have fuel injection and engine management that would make a triple even better.  But with the rider forward chassis layout, more compact engine compartment, need (or desire) to have triple pipes not sure how the package would work with the current layout of sleds.  Would be intriguing so see and ride for sure.

Current directions seems to be turbo charge in sleds and automotive.  Even my wife's Equinox is turbo changed.  Would really be intrigued to see a 3 cylinder 2 stroke in the current lineup of sleds but it seems turbo charge twins is the direction it's going.      

I had a 800 XCR triple in an IQR, LRM pipes into a shortened XCR can,  airbox that used the stock snorkel into the hood plenum, it was a fun sled but way faster than the high COG  that sled had.

4 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I had a 800 XCR triple in an IQR, LRM pipes into a shortened XCR can,  airbox that used the stock snorkel into the hood plenum, it was a fun sled but way faster than the high COG  that sled had.

I also built one of them but it had HTG pipes and mounting plate.  Got a lot of attention but I never really liked the sled.  Wasn't particularly good as a trail sled and wrong chassis for a lake runner.  Still have a NOS XCR 800 long block still in the create.  At some point want to put that into a wedge chassis.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doug said:

I also built one of them but it had HTG pipes and mounting plate.  Got a lot of attention but I never really liked the sled.  Wasn't particularly good as a trail sled and wrong chassis for a lake runner.  Still have a NOS XCR 800 long block still in the create.  At some point want to put that into a wedge chassis.

Mine was pretty good as a trail sled, it was only slightly louder than my other XCR sleds, didn't like how hard it was on my knees and was too fast on top end for it's COG, my edge triple much easier to drive.

6 hours ago, Doug said:

Did you run a sway bar?

58 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Did you run a sway bar?

Got a 1999 XCR 440 edge and the IQR as rollers from Pro-5.  The XCR put a 97 700 twin in and that was a nice sled.  Sold that one complete.  IQR just kept on chasing that one for handling and never really got it the way I wanted.  Pulled the motor and sold it with pipes, harness and mounting plate.  Sold the chassis separate with the stock harness, pipe and mounting plate.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Got a 1999 XCR 440 edge and the IQR as rollers from Pro-5.  The XCR put a 97 700 twin in and that was a nice sled.  Sold that one complete.  IQR just kept on chasing that one for handling and never really got it the way I wanted.  Pulled the motor and sold it with pipes, harness and mounting plate.  Sold the chassis separate with the stock harness, pipe and mounting plate.

Took me a while to get it the way I liked it. I got my chassis from Ross Martin never even had gas in the tank, used stock engine straps redrilled, had the Brads plate but the angle was slightly different and the engine sat about an inch higher, the steering hoop was modified to keep the pipes lower, the thing I liked is it kept the stock headlight, brake duct, no cutting of the hood if you didn't here it run you wouldn't even know it was a triple.