Sad to say it's over . Throwing in the towel

Dieseltech

Wife and I have been loyal riders and have been buying two permits every year since 1991. This will be the first year we wont be buying them. Touring was always our thing . Take a week once a year and ride a loop. Normally a couple smaller trips as well each year if there was time and money. Same old story , snow conditions , closed trails etc. Sort of taken the fun out of it for us . In recent years sleds have improved  so much in terms of power and suspension they are capable of much higher trail speeds than even ten years ago. There seems to be more and more sleds roaring around blind corners way too fast and with no chance of stopping if you happen to be coming the other way.  That  is one of several reasons in recent years we seem to have less and less friends to ride with.  The proverbial nail in the coffin so to speak for me was the loss of riding in my local area . The  Ganaraska and Northumberland forest trails due to liability  insurance battle. To me at least in my local area it seems snowmobiling is dying. Figured I'd sell my sleds b4 it gets any worse. A sad chapter in my life as I have been doing this for so long. I have to say I do not miss the amount of time and effort and cost I would normally be putting in this time of year , pre season service , insurance , licence stickers , Permits ,  trailer maintenance etc. Even to gas two sleds up with premium gas is really stinging these days. Then there was  usually a few upgrades to riding gear to be purchased each year as well . A new jacket or helmet  whatever . All and all the pre season always seemed to me to be a busy and costly time . Never really minded as I always enjoyed the sport and saw value in the effort. Unfortunately for me at least this is no longer the case. Anyone else sitting on the fence with this ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dieseltech said:

Wife and I have been loyal riders and have been buying two permits every year since 1991. This will be the first year we wont be buying them. Touring was always our thing . Take a week once a year and ride a loop. Normally a couple smaller trips as well each year if there was time and money. Same old story , snow conditions , closed trails etc. Sort of taken the fun out of it for us . In recent years sleds have improved  so much in terms of power and suspension they are capable of much higher trail speeds than even ten years ago. There seems to be more and more sleds roaring around blind corners way too fast and with no chance of stopping if you happen to be coming the other way.  That  is one of several reasons in recent years we seem to have less and less friends to ride with.  The proverbial nail in the coffin so to speak for me was the loss of riding in my local area . The  Ganaraska and Northumberland forest trails due to liability  insurance battle. To me at least in my local area it seems snowmobiling is dying. Figured I'd sell my sleds b4 it gets any worse. A sad chapter in my life as I have been doing this for so long. I have to say I do not miss the amount of time and effort and cost I would normally be putting in this time of year , pre season service , insurance , licence stickers , Permits ,  trailer maintenance etc. Even to gas two sleds up with premium gas is really stinging these days. Then there was  usually a few upgrades to riding gear to be purchased each year as well . A new jacket or helmet  whatever . All and all the pre season always seemed to me to be a busy and costly time . Never really minded as I always enjoyed the sport and saw value in the effort. Unfortunately for me at least this is no longer the case. Anyone else sitting on the fence with this ?

I am aware of the NH forest closure to sleds but what is this talk about the Ganny? Although I never rode last year, as far as I know the Ganny is still open to sleds and was available last year as well? 

Snowmobiling. The Ganaraska Forest boasts one of the most extensive networks of snowmobiling trails in southern Ontario. ... An OFSC permit is required for all snowmobiling within the forest, however a forest membership or day pass is not required. Snowmobiles may not be unloaded at the Ganaraska Forest Centre.

Maybe this is an old link but it still shows sledding on their website. https://www.grca.on.ca/recreation/   https://www.ganaraskaforestcentre.ca/recreational-uses/

Edited by irv

The wife and I live north of Fenelon Falls and the trail runs behind our place. I'm not buying a permit this year and we'll go to the Hali Forest if we want to go for a ride. It has finally got discouraging waiting for snow,crappy trail conditions etc and with the Jan and Feb rains a short season. The wife said let's buy the pass and if it's the same we can pack it in. I said nah we can trailer to Que or NB if we continue next year.

Still riding at my place in Griffith since the 60’s. Another year and new sled coming. I guess Fenelon Falls and south of 7 it’s different.  Why go all the way to QC and NB if you can launch at Bancroft airport 40 minutes away?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member

I'm not giving up yet but the thrill is less than it was and I'm starting to see the end coming. Bought the wife a new sled this year because I'm thinking it will be her last. Looking to buy a new sled for myself in 2 years and it probably won't have a turbo.

Still have some items on my snowmobile bucket list to cross off before I pack it in.

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I'm not giving up yet but the thrill is less than it was and I'm starting to see the end coming. Bought the wife a new sled this year because I'm thinking it will be her last. Looking to buy a new sled for myself in 2 years and it probably won't have a turbo.

Still have some items on my snowmobile bucket list to cross off before I pack it in.

It's to the point, unless you have a lot of time to trailer or live south of Parry Sound, it's getting harder to get a good ride in without having to road run with all the trail closures

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

It's to the point, unless you have a lot of time to trailer or live south of Parry Sound, it's getting harder to get a good ride in without having to road run with all the trail closures

Sad but true . I think as all the southern ontario riders slowly realize this and begin to drop out the ofsc is going to feel the pinch more and more due to the reduction in permit sales . It just looks like things are going to continue to decline for this sport. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 04nightfire said:

We've lost a lot of trail around here for various reasons.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

We've lost a lot of trail around here for various reasons.

I had a trail steps from my house for decades and it is gone the past few years, it hasn't been the same since.  

I can trailer 10 minutes to get to the trail and it now seems like a hassle :lol:  I'm old it seems

7 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

I had a trail steps from my house for decades and it is gone the past few years, it hasn't been the same since.  

I can trailer 10 minutes to get to the trail and it now seems like a hassle :lol:  I'm old it seems

Last year was one of the first times in several that I could ride from home but I only did it once for a half hour rip.

To get out of my local area you need to run a 1/4 mile of asphalt (due to the trail loss controlled by the GRCA) and I refuse to do that so I trailered for all my long rides. I didn't mind at all.

Looking at putting wheels on the wife sled this winter for some of the road runs. Mine will be next.

Edited by Blackstar

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Last year was one of the first times in several that I could ride from home but I only did it once for a half hour rip.

To get out of my local area you need to run a 1/4 mile of asphalt (due to the trail loss controlled by the GRCA) and I refuse to do that so I trailered for all my long rides. I didn't mind at all.

Looking at putting wheels on the wife sled this winter for some of the road runs. Mine will be next.

I thought those wheels were dumb, as a watched a guy wheel around Elmvale I was mistaken :lol: 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got the sled renewal today in the mail. The wife asked me what I wanted to do as I haven't even ordered a permit yet. I thought about it for a few minutes and said fuck it and put it on marketplace. A guy and his wife showed 1.5 hours later and bought it. 

• Like 3

I know how you feel George. I gave it up 3 years ago, once I realized that the effort and expense required to possibly use the sled a few weeks a year just didn,t give me the buzz I previously used to get in the fall for the past 40 years. Haven,t really missed the sledding part, but I do miss being with the old sledding buddies.

I still enjoy reading thru several forums, and seeing all the brand loyalists defend their particular brand, even if they own the biggest POS ever produced. LOL

13 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

I know how you feel George. I gave it up 3 years ago, once I realized that the effort and expense required to possibly use the sled a few weeks a year just didn,t give me the buzz I previously used to get in the fall for the past 40 years. Haven,t really missed the sledding part, but I do miss being with the old sledding buddies.

I still enjoy reading thru several forums, and seeing all the brand loyalists defend their particular brand, even if they own the biggest POS ever produced. LOL

We live right off the rail trail and the past 3-4 years with rain in Jan and again in Feb it wasn't fun anymore. We could trailer but I'd rather go out during the week. The antsy guys are already going up/down on the trail today. I'm putting a full windshield,side panels and a heater in the sxs and use it for almost 9 months. 

• Like 2

I looked at what the 2022"s were going for and set the same price and put No Trades and Firm on price. I got 4 msgs right away and turned out 3 from the same family giving me a family members #. I called and he said he's on his way and showed up with his wife and bought the sled. They didn't haggle lol and I got my price

• Like 4

you poor bastards really have to get out west for some riding. load up, in less than an hour, off load and in the powder. no cops, speed limits, just acres of steep(if ya want) and deep. just remember, we want you to visit, not live here with your trudeau love. (for you trail, love ya anyways, for you sled) just visit. and if any of ya ever do, i will show ya the shit

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m back in the sled game.  What a shit show it is to buy right now.  Ya, I overpayed, but I landed a 1600km 800r.  Went to pick up a gen4, and the gibrone raised the agreed price when I was on route. Told him to pound salt, and changed direction to pick up 2nd choice. Keeping the bike, but since I’m spit distance from the B now, had to get something for after work night rides. 

Looking at the map i noticed all my local Northumberland Forest trails were shown . There is no snow here so they were the expected red colour. I was surprised to see them on the map thou as i was told  the trails were permanantly closed. Got excited thinking something maybe changed. Emailed OfSC asking if the trails were going to re open and that is why they were showing on the online map. They responded the club controls the trail colour and that i should stay off them if they are red. I also received an advertisement to buy my permit early lol. Makes me wonder how many other non existant trails are now represented on that map. If your buying your permit hoping to see those trails turn green   . Good luck .

21 minutes ago, Dieseltech said:

Looking at the map i noticed all my local Northumberland Forest trails were shown . There is no snow here so they were the expected red colour. I was surprised to see them on the map thou as i was told  the trails were permanantly closed. Got excited thinking something maybe changed. Emailed OfSC asking if the trails were going to re open and that is why they were showing on the online map. They responded the club controls the trail colour and that i should stay off them if they are red. I also received an advertisement to buy my permit early lol. Makes me wonder how many other non existant trails are now represented on that map. If your buying your permit hoping to see those trails turn green   . Good luck .

Northumberland has had an update and although I don't know the extent of the agreement, they are going to have sled trails this year once the snow arrives. 

Open this link and click on the newspaper article that reads "Good News" twice and it should take you to the info.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/greatpineridgesnowmobileassociation/photos/ref=page_internal&tab=album&album_id=769199516442025   

Edited by irv