CTEC2 Fuel Map

jdels

Just picked up a 2018 ZR8000.  Is the fuel map as bad as what some online stuff would suggest?  Anyone have experience with aftermarket flash, the Speedwerks tune is where I'm leaning.  By the looks of the can its been pretty hot so it seems there is definitely a lean spot there somewhere.  2200 miles on it, cylinders and pistons look good through the Y-pipe and I'd like to keep it that way.  Thanks.

Speedwerx got my money for a stock tune on my 21 8000 this summer, they treated me very well.  I liked working with them.

Unfortunately, I can’t say how good the tune is yet.

I’m the same as you, engine is fine and I want to keep it that way.  I had issues at 15-25 mph and ~4000 rpm’s, and that was my main gripe with the 21 fuel mapping.  People have been expecting an update from Cat for a couple of years, and I got tired of holding my breath.  Even if they do come out with an update, it will still have lean issues to appease the EPA. 

Edited by p51mstg

Never rode this one either so its tough to justify.  I do ride with my two younger kids alot so not all my miles are spent in the upper RPM ranges.  That fact alone has me considering just doing it.  Thanks for the response hopefully someone will chime in and give us both some insight.

On my 19, it has a spot in the 5000 tom range when maintaining a 10-15 mph speed, when the engine is not fully up to temp (exhaust temp) where it would want to huck a buck a little.  It was annoying because my sled is for off trail and I'd do a fair amount of that.  I think for a trail sled I would never encounter that specific operating condition when on trail.

I also noticed after I installed heavier weights in clutch, I'd almost never encounter the problem.  Not because it's a clutch issue but because it loaded the motor down more and at those speeds it's at a little higher load and a lower rpm, maybe 4500 now, and it's at a place in the mapping where it's more happy.  Once or twice I noticed it's still kind of there but it's 95% better/eliminated.

I have thought about adjusting the TPS.  I would do this carefully and take measurements before adjusting so I could always put it back to stock.  But my thinking was if it thinks the throttle is open a little more, it will give a little more fuel, and solve that problem, it would only take a little.  I know some efi systems learn the base idle TPS voltage every time you start the engine so in that case, in simple theory, it maybe wouldn't change, I'm not sure if the cat efi system is like that and I'll probably try it at some point this winter regardless, just to see.  They say if you tamper with tps it voids warranty but my sled is out of warranty.  It is something free to try and an alternative to $500 for a tune, which I'm not going to do anyway.

I'll post about it when I try it.  I think after the weight change the only time I now have noticed it is very early in warm up riding, and even then it's been much less pronounced.

6 minutes ago, mnstang said:

On my 19, it has a spot in the 5000 tom range when maintaining a 10-15 mph speed, when the engine is not fully up to temp (exhaust temp) where it would want to huck a buck a little.  It was annoying because my sled is for off trail and I'd do a fair amount of that.  I think for a trail sled I would never encounter that specific operating condition when on trail.

I also noticed after I installed heavier weights in clutch, I'd almost never encounter the problem.  Not because it's a clutch issue but because it loaded the motor down more and at those speeds it's at a little higher load and a lower rpm, maybe 4500 now, and it's at a place in the mapping where it's more happy.  Once or twice I noticed it's still kind of there but it's 95% better/eliminated.

I have thought about adjusting the TPS.  I would do this carefully and take measurements before adjusting so I could always put it back to stock.  But my thinking was if it thinks the throttle is open a little more, it will give a little more fuel, and solve that problem, it would only take a little.  I know some efi systems learn the base idle TPS voltage every time you start the engine so in that case, in simple theory, it maybe wouldn't change, I'm not sure if the cat efi system is like that and I'll probably try it at some point this winter regardless, just to see.  They say if you tamper with tps it voids warranty but my sled is out of warranty.  It is something free to try and an alternative to $500 for a tune, which I'm not going to do anyway.

I'll post about it when I try it.  I think after the weight change the only time I now have noticed it is very early in warm up riding, and even then it's been much less pronounced.

Just a weight change?  How heavy?

31 minutes ago, jdels said:

Just a weight change?  How heavy?

I just went to team 74, stock was 72.  It could still use more but it's probably good enough for my use and I don't think they offer a 76.  2 grams doesn't seem like much but it made a big enough difference for me to just about completely avoid that part in the map (that's not why I did the weight change).  Like I said it went from 5000 rpm at those speeds to 4500rpm which changes the load character quite a bit.  If you accelerate to 5000 rom now, you're going noticeably faster and so again, the load is higher and you don't get it at all at that rpm.  Your results may vary, this is on a high country with lower gearing than a trail sled.  But the point was not a specific setup but just that you can change the load on motor to avoid certain spots in the map, although I probably wouldn't try for that outcome.. but if you're going to change your calibration anyway or were on the fence..

I'm sure with a lighter start on the primary spring it also would have accomplished similar..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yes the 18 tune has some issues. the precision reflash is the way to go. it does add a bit of power, but more impressive is how much it cleans up the driveability issue. 2 more grams of primary weight is all you really NEED for clutching changes, although doing more is always an option.

i havent had a customer that wasnt extremely happy with one yet

Edited by Tommcat
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Do you think the extra wind the super charger produces will keep the engine from not over heating in snow?

My two biggest concerns are reliability and longevity.  I do a fair amount of riding with my two younger kids so there is time spent in the lower RPM ranges.  Hard to justify spending the money having not even ridden the thing yet but I sure as hell do not want to be sending out ECU after the season starts.  Precision or Speedwerks seem to be the two options, so looking for some real world testimonial to help make the choice.  The good ole F7 (bought new) has over 10,000 miles on the original top end and still showed 126/128 compression at the start of last year.  Not sure if its reasonable to expect that out of the C-Tech but I'd sure like to do the things to give it a fighting chance.  Cylinders and pistons look good through the y-pipe.  2200 miles on it, 2018 ZR8000RR.  Thanks for the input. 

2 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Do you think the extra wind the super charger produces will keep the engine from not over heating in snow?

Jeremy designed the package on the well groomed streets of Merrill.  If yours doesn't sell, order the kit and we'll test it out.  I don't have a vast array of adjustable metric wrenches but I'm exceptional with a sawzall, roto zip, router and sawzall.  You bring the sled, kit, four rolls of duct tape and a dirty 30 of PBR and we'll git er dun. 

1 hour ago, jdels said:

My two biggest concerns are reliability and longevity.  I do a fair amount of riding with my two younger kids so there is time spent in the lower RPM ranges.  Hard to justify spending the money having not even ridden the thing yet but I sure as hell do not want to be sending out ECU after the season starts.  Precision or Speedwerks seem to be the two options, so looking for some real world testimonial to help make the choice.  The good ole F7 (bought new) has over 10,000 miles on the original top end and still showed 126/128 compression at the start of last year.  Not sure if its reasonable to expect that out of the C-Tech but I'd sure like to do the things to give it a fighting chance.  Cylinders and pistons look good through the y-pipe.  2200 miles on it, 2018 ZR8000RR.  Thanks for the input. 

All joking aside, pick up the phone and call @Tommcatas he has real world experience setting up sleds for people who pay to have them done right, rather than reading shit on the internet and winging it on your own. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdels said:

Speedwerx tunes ARE Precision tunes

• Like 1

I knew Speedwerx was a Precision reseller, but I didn’t realize that a “Speedwerx” tune was actually a rebranded Precision tune (if that’s what you meant).

To jdels point about slow speeds with family, my experience with the Riot is that the 8000 is not happy at all in the “safe speed” RPM range.  I went with a Speedwerx tune and clutch kit before Haydays to see if I could fix that.  I have no experience with the tune or clutch kit yet.

As mentioned, I think people with concerns should actually call a vendor to talk about it.  Sooner is better to avoid downtime when the snow flies.

Edited by p51mstg

1 hour ago, p51mstg said:

I knew Speedwerx was a Precision reseller, but I didn’t realize that a “Speedwerx” tune was actually a rebranded Precision tune (if that’s what you meant).

To jdels point about slow speeds with family, my experience with the Riot is that the 8000 is not happy at all in the “safe speed” RPM range.  I went with a Speedwerx tune and clutch kit before Haydays to see if I could fix that.  I have no experience with the tune or clutch kit yet.

As mentioned, I think people with concerns should actually call a vendor to talk about it.  Sooner is better to avoid downtime when the snow flies.

Couple calls on Monday for sure.  Speedwerks is offering a '21 'stock' tune now.  Will be interesting to see if they claim it as their own.  If a reflash and some weights can offer some margin in the 'safe speed' range that seems worth it to me.  Thanks for the real world assessment, appreciate it.

46 minutes ago, jdels said:

Couple calls on Monday for sure.  Speedwerks is offering a '21 'stock' tune now.  Will be interesting to see if they claim it as their own.  If a reflash and some weights can offer some margin in the 'safe speed' range that seems worth it to me.  Thanks for the real world assessment, appreciate it.

we are telling people to hold off on their 21's for a bit. Cat has something in the works for the blowing up issues they had last year, and for a number of reasons, i prefer to see people get recalls/service bulletins done first before we flash them.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 9:08 AM, jdels said:

They have been selling the torque link now. What program they are loading into it now I am not sure. I tried to buy the precsion tune from them 2 years ago and they said it didn’t work well and really weren’t interested in selling it for the 800

The 22 flash is approved by the epa now  (this week) and will be available in a couple weeks. As far as the 18 I wouldn’t worry about flashing it if it doesn’t have flame thrower tendencies. I never had my 18 reflashed and it was fine.

• Like 1