Snow check delivery just got longer ...

I can't argue that those kind of wait times are unacceptable. 

It's worse considering the nature of the sport.  Have snow, let go.

The management style of selling without real support seems to have become the norm in this sport.  That crap began before any goofy supply disruption so it's become worse with the rest of the world trying to catch up manufacturing and delivery.  These dinkus heads have been screwing with us consumers far too long.  Sadly, they now have another excuse to not have parts available.

I tend to see things break for some reason.  The ability to get parts in a timely manner has been getting worse for years.  I figured last year would be a challenge so I tried to plan ahead for the season.  I had brand new spare clutches, shocks, and smaller misc. parts ready to go.  I swapped out the junk parts that tend to fail and reinforced skid components before the season even started.  I didn't plan on popping a new stock motor.  I also don't like to buy warranty parts, so I didn't order damn near a whole motor ahead of the season.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, favoritos said:

I can't argue that those kind of wait times are unacceptable. 

It's worse considering the nature of the sport.  Have snow, let go.

The management style of selling without real support seems to have become the norm in this sport.  

That is exactly why I had to jump ship. Cat's inability to get you parts, lack of dealer support, along with 25 other things finally forced me to spend my money elsewhere- after 29 new Cats. 

Polaris has the 4 year warranty- which means nothing if they can't get parts for warranty work or produce sleds. BUT, I have more confidence in Polaris getting parts to me or being able to do the warranty work than Cat. @favoritos Waiting that long for Cat's engine parts as snow approaches tells me that Cat has their priorities wrong-  "fuck the existing customer, lets just build/sell sleds first".....

Is it any wonder why market share has plummeted?

• Like 1

Knock on wood I guess but, I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem getting parts.  If Country Cat doesn’t have it, Babbitt’s usually does.  If not, a quick search can yield a few places to buy it.

I don’t even know where a Cat dealer is in my area.  I know the one I tried to go to NEVER had shit I needed.  Why bother?

@Zambroski we both live in an area where we are pretty lucky to be able to get parts next day from Country Cat. But, even they at times couldn't help me. Frankly, if Country Cat doesn't have it, no one does. Most folks aren't this lucky to have a decent dealer close by. The Cat dealer in Hayward was the most useless tool I've ever run in to. Cat has so many things that they need to fix before they can turn the ship around. My confidence is way higher long term with Polaris, and their ability to deliver sleds, parts, and warranty work. 

5 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

@Zambroski we both live in an area where we are pretty lucky to be able to get parts next day from Country Cat. But, even they at times couldn't help me. Frankly, if Country Cat doesn't have it, no one does. Most folks aren't this lucky to have a decent dealer close by. The Cat dealer in Hayward was the most useless tool I've ever run in to. Cat has so many things that they need to fix before they can turn the ship around. My confidence is way higher long term with Polaris, and their ability to deliver sleds, parts, and warranty work. 

The checkmark for warranty and dealer support goes in the Polaris box for sure.  Most I know that have Poos are very happy with their dealers quick ability to get warranty work done and their customer service sure seems to shine also.

Country cat is good but there are other good dealers that have parts besides country cat.  Especially with discontinued parts.  And for warranty work it comes down to dealer more so than manufacturer.  I've never worried about warranty work though on my sled that is under one year old, never worried it'd break.  Maybe if I had a 4 year warranty I'd think different, maybe.  I prefer to do my own work anyway, I've owned alot of sleds and nobody has ever worked on them besides me, and I've really never had any major issues or have been concerned about breaking down.  If I was concerned my new sled will be breaking I probably wouldn't buy it.

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 10/5/2021 at 5:17 PM, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Michigan is so screwed for a solid do everything dealer it is one reason why I’ve passed on buying new since 2009.

I have a dealer with two good techs but rarely have a need for them and hate everything else about their dealer. 

I have a dealer that is great to buy from by the parts/service side sucks. 

I really miss my small, hometown dealers that I had from ‘97 to ‘08. 

I’ve been super happy with Countywide Powersports and they bought Bader Brothers in Hillman so if you are ever over that way check ‘em out.👊🏻🇺🇸

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

2 hours ago, mnstang said:

Country cat is good but there are other good dealers that have parts besides country cat.  Especially with discontinued parts.  And for warranty work it comes down to dealer more so than manufacturer.  I've never worried about warranty work though on my sled that is under one year old, never worried it'd break.  Maybe if I had a 4 year warranty I'd think different, maybe.  I prefer to do my own work anyway, I've owned alot of sleds and nobody has ever worked on them besides me, and I've really never had any major issues or have been concerned about breaking down.  If I was concerned my new sled will be breaking I probably wouldn't buy it.

Last time I had warranty work done was 2012 on my doo that got new slugs for free.  That was a quick turn around.  

As for the rest, yep.  I don't care about dealers or warranty.  If I needed to worry about that, I think I may just pick another brand or sport to be honest.  Sled season is short...one warranty trip and it's even shorter if not gone altogether.  A long warranty offering doesn't give me the "feel safe" I need.  I feel it means the opposite.....and the price still reflects that long warranty that the manus know will be in the shop at some point.

All I ask is the parts be made available.  It manus can't even do that....put a fork in this industry.

• Like 1

If anyone is in a position to deliver parts and sleds, it is Polaris. With most of their facilities here in the upper midwest, I think they are better positioned than Doo or the Kitty (Thief River Falls). It may be a fantasy, but I have more confidence in a manufacturer that offers a 4 year warranty and is willing to put their money where their mouth is. They also seem to be willing to communicate with their customers. Cat has NEVER communicated shit to me when I have had sleds on order. 

Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm going to give Polaris the benefit of the doubt because it is still early. Also, Duluth Lawn & Sport has also given me great communication and confidence that they will find me a sled if my XC doesn't show up until January. But once the snow falls up here in early December, I am going to get very twitchy.....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

If anyone is in a position to deliver parts and sleds, it is Polaris. With most of their facilities here in the upper midwest, I think they are better positioned than Doo or the Kitty (Thief River Falls). It may be a fantasy, but I have more confidence in a manufacturer that offers a 4 year warranty and is willing to put their money where their mouth is. They also seem to be willing to communicate with their customers. Cat has NEVER communicated shit to me when I have had sleds on order. 

Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm going to give Polaris the benefit of the doubt because it is still early. Also, Duluth Lawn & Sport has also given me great communication and confidence that they will find me a sled if my XC doesn't show up until January. But once the snow falls up here in early December, I am going to get very twitchy.....

I’m absolutely sure it is.  :lol2:

Duluth lawn and sport is good though.  I still stop in from time to time. Pete is a good guy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

For what these things cost new, a 3-4 year warranty isn’t too much to ask. SXS manufacturers REALLY need to step up their game on the warranties on those fucking things though for what they are charging for them. 

The price factors in these warranties now.  It’s clear it’s cheaper for them to just toss a warranty in, add a few grand to the price and roll the dice.  I think the SXS are already priced out to the maximum.  Those fucking things are super crazy price wise.  I smh but, it’s not my thang so….

As long as I am being a post whore today.....some additional thoughts after a few beers (and after yet another winning Packer Game).

@Zambroski -  look at this objectively. Polaris at least seems to be trying to do the right thing (as is my dealer who has been nothing but a class act). They seem to be delivering product on schedule. What exactly has Cat done to pull in new customers? You live close to Pete & the Duluth L & S dealership. And you know they'll take care of you and make sure you have a sled. What's not to like?

10 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

As long as I am being a post whore today.....some additional thoughts after a few beers (and after yet another winning Packer Game).

@Zambroski -  look at this objectively. Polaris at least seems to be trying to do the right thing (as is my dealer who has been nothing but a class act). They seem to be delivering product on schedule. What exactly has Cat done to pull in new customers? You live close to Pete & the Duluth L & S dealership. And you know they'll take care of you and make sure you have a sled. What's not to like?

I’m not arguing with you.  Textron has done zero to attract new customers.  I’m still on board with Cat because I find their product to still be superior.

But to pretend any manu is “delivering” now is a joke.  They are being sent to dealers incomplete.  That is, if they are even complete enough to do that much.  Then world supply is shit and it really doesn’t matter who seems to be in the “best position”.  If the parts aren’t made, that’s it.

My biggest issue with all these manus is the uptick in price in snow checks and the delivery date of contracted goods being “we’ll let you know.”  That’s wrong….and always has been.  That’s on us as sledders to accept this bullshit.

My first world problem is, I can’t find a helmet in my size!!!!  FXR has a “Expected ship date of 11/30” on their lids.  Ima be out there in a xxxxLHJC!!!!  :lol:

• Like 1

You're obviously right about the prices. Seeing what was has happening in the UTV market, along with what car/toy dealers are doing to their prices with "Additional Dealer Markup" compelled me to place a Spring snow check order. I figured that prices could go even higher.....

1 minute ago, Ziemann said:

You're obviously right about the prices. Seeing what was has happening in the UTV market, along with what car/toy dealers are doing to their prices with "Additional Dealer Markup" compelled me to place a Spring snow check order. I figured that prices could go even higher.....

I think they may even go higher. Especially if we get early snow.  Dealers lucky enough to have a fully functioning sled on the floor can ask whatever they want.  Resale is already outrageous.  I found my gem and got in the truck early the next morning for a 8 hour round trip to grab it.  No way you wait on a decent deal right now…..many will be sled-less that are waiting for the prices to go down or, trying to low ball sellers.

I’ve honestly never seen anything like this.  There are literally just crumbs on the resale market and even those are demanding, and getting, full cookie prices!!!

• Like 1

In a normal year there isn't much of a markup on sleds from decent dealers for what they sell sleds for.  They are hoping to make it up on accessories and service.  There's also different programs they can work with through the manufactures.  Under the current conditions if dealers are charging above retail they're just taking advance of the consumer.  I can understand holding your prices but if your higher that retail that's not right.

The 4 year warranty for me helps with the resale of the sled.      

6 hours ago, Zambroski said:

The checkmark for warranty and dealer support goes in the Polaris box for sure.  Most I know that have Poos are very happy with their dealers quick ability to get warranty work done and their customer service sure seems to shine also.

I can tell you that they don't grab the perfect award either.

We use a few different wheelers and SxS machines on the farm.  They see a little hard work.  One two year old Ranger has been in the shop for 8 months this year.  It only needed engine top end, tranny, and exhaust. ;) Granted, the machine got used a lot and hard, but they should still be at home more than 4 months in the second year.  Actually had already ordered a new one before it went down too.  Probably lucky on that decision.  It's bad enough with their stuff that new machines are basically ordered as backups.  We are currently waiting on another one with no real eta.

The confidence in Poo hasn't won awards around the farm.  But, we don't have many local options, so we deal with their issues.

The issues are certainly not exclusive to a single brand.  It's almost funny to think about brand with the work machines.  They all look like shit after a few days and nobody cares what paint is on the things as long as they work.

2 hours ago, Ziemann said:

Polaris has had a bunch of issues with product delays, and especially with durability (always have)

11 hours ago, mnstang said:

Polaris has had a bunch of issues with product delays, and especially with durability (always have)

Other than last year's snowcheck deliveries ... where are the "bunch of issues" with product delays?  I won't argue the durability comment but I'll also say people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!! LOL   

5 hours ago, Bontz said:

Other than last year's snowcheck deliveries ... where are the "bunch of issues" with product delays?  I won't argue the durability comment but I'll also say people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!! LOL   

Last year deliveries and also this year it sounds like too.  

I didn't bring up durability, that was one of your Polaris comrades.  At this point it's kicking when down, I don't like to do it but somebody had to.  As far as glass houses, my sleds have all been very good to me, I don't worry about warranty or breakdowns.

21 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Last year deliveries and also this year it sounds like too.  

I didn't bring up durability, that was one of your Polaris comrades.  At this point it's kicking when down, I don't like to do it but somebody had to.  As far as glass houses, my sleds have all been very good to me, I don't worry about warranty or breakdowns.

I get it ... and I'm guilty of doing the same LOL    That said, I don't really worry either because my sleds have all been very good to me, too.  Hard to believe, I know, but there are Polaris sleds that are trouble-free  

• Like 1

It's an interesting mix. Pics today of an XC arriving on HCS- complete. It's only 10/21, and I am starting to sport wood....

There have been years that I have had sleds on order and didn't care when it arrived. Waited until I received the phone call in late November/ early December and just went and picked it up. For some reason, this year I have a much high level of anticipation. My '12 Cat 50th Anniversary F800 Retro was like that. I was excited to receiving it all summer. 

I am WAY more itchy/ excited this year than I have been in many years. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 10/21/2021 at 1:41 PM, Ziemann said:

It's an interesting mix. Pics today of an XC arriving on HCS- complete. It's only 10/21, and I am starting to sport wood....

There have been years that I have had sleds on order and didn't care when it arrived. Waited until I received the phone call in late November/ early December and just went and picked it up. For some reason, this year I have a much high level of anticipation. My '12 Cat 50th Anniversary F800 Retro was like that. I was excited to receiving it all summer. 

I am WAY more itchy/ excited this year than I have been in many years. 

I've only seen 1 new poo at a dealer, 1 of 12 snow checks they have.

Doo's are at dealers, but missing parts, Dealer said he got 200 of his 450 unit order so far.

Yami seems to be fine getting them to dealers. 

I don't go to any cat dealers, the ones I would go to dropped the line