Snow check delivery just got longer ...

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

At this point, I’d prolly consider calling them and letting them know you’ll pick-up the crate as soon as they get it in.  Or, at lease ask them to do minimal PDI and you can do the rest.  Hell, they may even toss you back a C-note or nice coupon to do so.  I’m guessing they are gonna get all backed up.

Dealer has to do PDI on the sled before the customer picks it up or any warranty claims could be in question.  Just stating what Polaris requires.  May not always happen 😊

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Dealer has to do PDI on the sled before the customer picks it up or any warranty claims could be in question.  Just stating what Polaris requires.  May not always happen 😊

Yeah...pays to have a relationship with the dealer I suppose.  Still, I'd think they could work something out with the right people

"Right people" - Those that don't have a bench full of adjustable metric wrenches.  

On 10/2/2021 at 11:08 AM, mnstang said:

And then people made fun of cat for closing down on orders in spring.  At least they were making an attempt to be responsible.  One critic even said they should just take as many orders as possible even if they know there will be issues with delivering on it.  Yeah, that's what I want from a company, lie cheat and steal just to make the sale.

Now you cat guys are saying that Textron had this all figured out? That’s why they did ordering the way they did it? Yeah, for sure that’s why. :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Now you cat guys are saying that Textron had this all figured out? That’s why they did ordering the way they did it? Yeah, for sure that’s why. :lol:

They stopped orders on multiple models because they reached a number that they thought was their limit of production.  They were the only one doing that.  Call it what you will.

14 minutes ago, mnstang said:

They stopped orders on multiple models because they reached a number that they thought was their limit of production.  They were the only one doing that.  Call it what you will.

And the Polaris 850 Turbo was a limited number available for order. What’s your point? If you think for a second that Textron foresaw these crazy supply chain issues, better than others, and that is solely why they limited their production numbers, you need your head examined. 

11 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

And the Polaris 850 Turbo was a limited number available for order. What’s your point? If you think for a second that Textron foresaw these crazy supply chain issues, better than others, and that is solely why they limited their production numbers, you need your head examined. 

It may have been the sled division meet its credit limit with Textron the mother ship.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I made 1 phone call to my dealer just to quell some of these 'expert internet opinions', they put me at ease and I'll wait for the phone call.

Good/Bad thing for the dealer is they sold their complete year's allowance of sleds during spring check so they have nothing for the showroom floor.  

Good thing for me is I have two prime used sleds, one of which I will sell, should do well :D

That was exactly the complaint that I got from dealers when I asked for Spring pricing. They had sold out their entire allocation as Spring Snow Check orders and were concerned that they would have nothing left for the floor. I understand that there is only so much manufacturing capacity, parts, labor, etc. but it really shocked me.

I actually had a couple of dealers that didn't want to give me a price on a new sled- and it pissed me off. They lost me as a customer forever (Sonju Two Harbors, Hayward Power Sports). One of them stated that they would be able to sell those sleds for more money in the fall, and would prefer to do that versus Spring Check those sleds. 

I get it. It's business. And they are in business to make money. And it is their business- whatever the market will bear. BUT, If given the option to buy from a dealer that wants my business versus 2 that openly do not, then it was an easy choice as to where to purchase......

Now I wait....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

That was exactly the complaint that I got from dealers when I asked for Spring pricing. They had sold out their entire allocation as Spring Snow Check orders and were concerned that they would have nothing left for the floor. I understand that there is only so much manufacturing capacity, parts, labor, etc. but it really shocked me.

I actually had a couple of dealers that didn't want to give me a price on a new sled- and it pissed me off. They lost me as a customer forever (Sonju Two Harbors, Hayward Power Sports). One of them stated that they would be able to sell those sleds for more money in the fall, and would prefer to do that versus Spring Check those sleds. 

I get it. It's business. And they are in business to make money. And it is their business- whatever the market will bear. BUT, If given the option to buy from a dealer that wants my business versus 2 that openly do not, then it was an easy choice as to where to purchase......

Now I wait....

My buddy has a cabin up in the Namakagon area, and we've used Hayward Powersports on more than one occasion when something needs a quick fix.  Honestly, their service department has been fantastic for the number of times we've pulled in there & they got us looked at.  But I also know from a sales perspective, and talking with a few people around there, their clientele is a lot of non locals (Illinois) who just blindly write out a check when buying new sleds.  And they clearly have no issues selling sleds, from what we can see.  It sucks, because I think my buddy would eventually like to make them his primary dealer since he only rides up there ... but when you can't even get a price while discussing snow check programs, that kinda defeats the purpose.   

16 minutes ago, Bontz said:

My buddy has a cabin up in the Namakagon area, and we've used Hayward Powersports on more than one occasion when something needs a quick fix.  Honestly, their service department has been fantastic for the number of times we've pulled in there & they got us looked at.  But I also know from a sales perspective, and talking with a few people around there, their clientele is a lot of non locals (Illinois) who just blindly write out a check when buying new sleds.  And they clearly have no issues selling sleds, from what we can see.  It sucks, because I think my buddy would eventually like to make them his primary dealer since he only rides up there ... but when you can't even get a price while discussing snow check programs, that kinda defeats the purpose.   

Yes, I've used them in "emergency" repair situations a few times as well, always more than willing to jump on what looks like a quick fix to get you back on the snow!  

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Bontz said:

All a guy has to do is sign or initial the PDI paperwork ... just sayin :whistle:

That’s kinda what I thought too but, I can see why some dealers don’t want to do this.  Many may make an exception this year because of lack of labor though. It’s worth asking, IMO.

12 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I think they probably did see it with their international reach.  Although, I think it may have been that and they are fun shy about stocking year old sleds again.

Either way, it looks like they are slowly figuring the snow division past problems out.  Now, what they do with it is anybody’s guess.  If you pressed me, I’d say they will auction it off (my hope) or, just make it a tiny offshoot of mediocre performing models (Blast).  Like the Sea Doo Spark type shit. 

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Understood. They don't know me or know I'm local since I am new to Polaris (well, since my new Fusion 700) after 29 new Cats. Most of my newer Cats had come from the dealers in Bloomer and Hurley. In both cases, I was treated VERY well.

My Polaris buying experience was initially frustrating. I had already decided I was buying a new Polaris, so I knew it was just a matter of finding a dealer that was willing to take care of me. Just by virtue of where Hayward Powersports is located, they have a gold mine. Most of the tourists and cabin people aren't looking for a long term dealer relationship. I am. 

The good news is that Duluth Lawn & Sport did an outstanding job. That is why our snowmobile club (Jackpine Riders) now owns a new Ski-Doo Skandic purchased from the same dealership.  

52 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

Understood. They don't know me or know I'm local since I am new to Polaris (well, since my new Fusion 700) after 29 new Cats. Most of my newer Cats had come from the dealers in Bloomer and Hurley. In both cases, I was treated VERY well.

My Polaris buying experience was initially frustrating. I had already decided I was buying a new Polaris, so I knew it was just a matter of finding a dealer that was willing to take care of me. Just by virtue of where Hayward Powersports is located, they have a gold mine. Most of the tourists and cabin people aren't looking for a long term dealer relationship. I am. 

The good news is that Duluth Lawn & Sport did an outstanding job. That is why our snowmobile club (Jackpine Riders) now owns a new Ski-Doo Skandic purchased from the same dealership.  

Developing a long term relationship with a dealer and being taken care is worth a higher cost on a sled. You'll normally make out better in the long run through other ways.  When our club is looking for a donation they have always helped, used UTV's from them to mark and pick up signs etc.  

@Doug - yep, I agree with that and have been preaching the same thing for years.  That said, I can relate with @Ziemann as a person shopping new dealers and being forced to start over with a place.  Especially now, with many places getting MSRP (or more) on new stuff.

3 hours ago, Ziemann said:

Agreed- Price is secondary to finding a decent dealer that will take care of you. 

I can agree with this.  I just never see buying new again and I don’t ever see needing a dealer to take care of me short of parts orders.  I mean, “never say never” but, I think when I stop enjoying working on my own sleds (updating or repairing), it’s probably time for me to move on.  

• Like 1

Michigan is so screwed for a solid do everything dealer it is one reason why I’ve passed on buying new since 2009.

I have a dealer with two good techs but rarely have a need for them and hate everything else about their dealer. 

I have a dealer that is great to buy from by the parts/service side sucks. 

I really miss my small, hometown dealers that I had from ‘97 to ‘08. 

7 hours ago, Bontz said:

Hayward Power Sports has been awesome for trailside service.  Easy to deal with and accommodating.  However, like you said, lots of Illinois and Twin Cities people that come in and point, and write a check.  Happens in the summer as well.  New Lund out of the checking account!

WELL.... My new dealer, Duluth Lawn & Sport impressed me tonight. I am guessing that he's getting the hell beat out of him tonight by angry customers. He called to let me know that my new Polaris XC 650 129 is not listed to ship until 1/15. He doesn't know me, but I was impressed that he called to tell me. He handled it EXTREMELY well...

There's going to be a lot of unhappy Polaris and Ski-Doo customers.... But, I have to say that Duluth Lawn & Sport has earned my long term business. He's going to get back to me with options. 

It sounds like Ski-Doo is also really going to have trouble making some deliveries on time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ziemann said:

WELL.... My new dealer, Duluth Lawn & Sport impressed me tonight. I am guessing that he's getting the hell beat out of him tonight by angry customers. He called to let me know that my new Polaris XC 650 129 is not listed to ship until 1/15. He doesn't know me, but I was impressed that he called to tell me. He handled it EXTREMELY well...

There's going to be a lot of unhappy Polaris and Ski-Doo customers.... But, I have to say that Duluth Lawn & Sport has earned my long term business. He's going to get back to me with options. 

It sounds like Ski-Doo is also really going to have trouble making some deliveries on time. 

Again, I have no idea how some people (not you obviously) can be so oblivious to the current supply chain issues to be throwing a conniption fit over these snow check issues. Welcome to 2021 and buckle up for 2022. It’s not going to get any better anytime soon. If companies admitted that you weren’t going to see their products for longer periods of time, last year, they wouldn’t have gotten ANY snow check orders. I’m going to bet that they will make it right but some people are going to be scrambling for sleds to ride this year. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ziemann said:

Damn ... sorry to hear the potential date for your 650 delivery is even later than the "buzz" from yesterday, referencing the Dec 15 time frame.  That sucks - I was really looking forward to you getting some early miles on the sled & hearing your feedback.  That said, I agree with ya that credit is due to the dealer for calling you and being upfront about it.  I didn't receive an e-mail from Polaris yesterday, nor have I heard anything from my new dealer (but I'm expecting a similar message with the later date).  And yeah, @SayatodaU.P.eh? is correct with the comment about people needing a wakeup call & realizing this isn't a dealer problem.

I'm actually going to be in a situation where, if my sled doesn't come in until late January (or later), I'll want to see what my options are for NOT taking delivery.  It may be a repeat of my 2021 Matryx and selling the sled without me ever putting a mile on it.  I went into Snow Check with the mindset of "reality" and knowing full well that COVID supply chain issues could be an impact, but I also was naïve enough to think "well, worst case would be late December" ... time will tell.

Sorry that your experience with going back to Polaris this year hasn't been a good one @Ziemann

It's going to be an interesting year for sure.  I have the benefit of still having sleds to ride if my 2022 does not come in.  If I didn't like some of you guys and guys I ride with I'd be more concerned.  Sucks that all of this issue is beyond ours, the dealers and the manufacturers control.  Getting mad at a dealer or calling them is not going to improve or help.  Thumbs up on the dealers that are trying to get ahead of this calling their customers upfront.  Their hands are also tied to when sleds will arrive.

Edited by Doug
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Ziemann said:

My wife and I have been to Duluth Lawn & Sport a couple of times and really liked them.  Never bought a sled from them, but working with the sales staff has been a pleasant experience.

There are two multi-store dealerships in SE MN that have been the opposite - both have given us a very cold reception from staff unless you’re spending big bucks.  They’ve shown both of us that they’re not interested in future business, and because of that they’re going to get what they want from us (nothing).  

It’s 4 hours from our house to Duluth L&S and the drive would be worth it for a dealer that cares about every customer.

I hope everyone gets their spring orders before the snow flies.

• Like 1