Do Americans Know What a Massive Ripoff American Life Really Is?

Mainecat

22 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

most would be better served with a HD plan and a legal requirement to have a set of published costs that are the same for payers and insured.   my sons 2 50-60k knee surgeries were under 20k with the insurance discount.   Insurance should be there just to cover major things like that and cancer and heart attacks etc not basic body maint if the real cost was what one uninusred paid.    

My hip replacement was $45k and change. With discounts it came to $24k. My out of pocket was $1900. I’m paying over $900/mo for a single policy. It’s brutal, but in this case it paid for itself. 

• Gold Member
29 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

most would be better served with a HD plan and a legal requirement to have a set of published costs that are the same for payers and insured.   my sons 2 50-60k knee surgeries were under 20k with the insurance discount.   Insurance should be there just to cover major things like that and cancer and heart attacks etc not basic body maint if the real cost was what one uninusred paid.    

My wife did all the Obamacare crap I just went over the pricing and policies but I thought she said we didn’t qualify for a catastrophic plan we were to old or something. The cheapest plan we could have got was 1400 month which I don’t consider cheap and the good ones were 3200-3400. We had insurance for our first kid and none for the second our out of pocket paid really wasn’t that much of a difference not enough to justify paying 20k+ yr for decent health insurance.

• Like 1

The first 47 years I was invincible, then heart disease cost me my job and career, a stent, open heart surgery, two lower back surgeries, bilateral carpal tunnel and eight finger release surgery, and now onset of lung issues ( early COPD)…and pre diabetic. Getting old sucks, but the alternative is worse. 

17 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

That is why my bud who builds poll sheds is bringing home over 200k a yr . 

It is true most just have 2 much shit me included . I just look at the shit/toys I have stored and have not even seen in over a yr . 

Down in the basement I have one shelving unit that stands 5 feet by 2 feet. It has five shelves. All my shit fits on it. Other than an old and worn out water heater in the corner that needs to go to the dump, the shelving unit is all that’s down there. The garage holds all my tools and saws and that’s it. Next summer I’ll be full timing in an rv. I have to decide if I want to store everything or sell it all.  

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Down in the basement I have one shelving unit that stands 5 feet by 2 feet. It has five shelves. All my shit fits on it. Other than an old and worn out water heater in the corner that needs to go to the dump, the shelving unit is all that’s down there. The garage holds all my tools and saws and that’s it. Next summer I’ll be full timing in an rv. I have to decide if I want to store everything or sell it all.  

Meaning your going to sell your house too and just road trip around?

Just now, Rigid1 said:

Meaning your going to sell your house too and just road trip around?

Sell it and pocket the cash. I thought about renting it out. I really don’t want to get back into the rental business again. I own some property in Arizona. I’ll lay a pad and bring in water and electrical. I’ll winter down there and spend summers traveling around and in Minnesota. My daughter and son in law have big spread and I’m pretty handy fixing their stuff. :) 

I’ve ordered the rig. There’s a 14 month back log. Possibly more. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Sell it and pocket the cash. I thought about renting it out. I really don’t want to get back into the rental business again. I own some property in Arizona. I’ll lay a pad and bring in water and electrical. I’ll winter down there and spend summers traveling around and in Minnesota. My daughter and son in law have big spread and I’m pretty handy fixing their stuff. :) 

Very cool! Best of luck..:bc:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

i could fit what i want in my life outside my toys in 4 rubbermaids and my toolbox.   I have zero need for a lot of stuff at this point.   shit i don't even want a TV anymore.   

14 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Thanks. Should be a cool adventure. 

I agree 100%, there's a whole lot of beautiful America to see, added bonus time with your family

11 hours ago, snoughnut said:

If something major happens to you good luck trying to pay that bill. How do you sleep at night without health ins. ?

You dodged a bullet if you never had anything major happen.

Nope never did. Im willing to bet most folks under 40 never had anything major happen.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Nope never did. Im willing to bet most folks under 40 never had anything major happen.

i know plenty with kids that ended up in the NICU which was hundreds of thousands as well as knee shoulder rehab etc.   Which billed at rack rate would be huge.  but i agree that for most add up the cost of insurance over 15 years it prob wasn't worth it but the same time many Americans struggle to come up with a grand.   

27 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i know plenty with kids that ended up in the NICU which was hundreds of thousands as well as knee shoulder rehab etc.   Which billed at rack rate would be huge.  but i agree that for most add up the cost of insurance over 15 years it prob wasn't worth it but the same time many Americans struggle to come up with a grand.   

from 18 yrs old to 48 my total HC costs ran about $4500

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

i could fit what i want in my life outside my toys in 4 rubbermaids and my toolbox.   I have zero need for a lot of stuff at this point.   shit i don't even want a TV anymore.   

You should have seen the shit I have tossed since I retired. Next up is fuckin clothes I have not worn since I retired too.

Just now, Zambroski said:

LOL!  That tired, scared, stupid fuck ain’t leaving the safety of his hone.

How dare you insult the wise old owl!   Even if he’s as fuckin stupid as Frankie the tranny? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Sketch  buting a new rig now days . All the rags talk about how fucked the lines are all over Indiana and the like with the massive labor shortages.  They are putting guys on the line with zero training and most are not lasting 2 mo and they slap some new crack head in his place . They and the parts in them are going from bad to worse 

9 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Sketch  buting a new rig now days . All the rags talk about how fucked the lines are all over Indiana and the like with the massive labor shortages.  They are putting guys on the line with zero training and most are not lasting 2 mo and they slap some new crack head in his place . They and the parts in them are going from bad to worse 

I wouldn’t buy anything coming out of Indiana. I like quality merchandise.