Would you consider an electric snowmobile?

On 10/12/2021 at 8:17 PM, Zambroski said:

I don’t see it.  At all. Electric sleds won’t save this sport.  In fact, I’m betting it will be the end should it come to that.  Greenies win!

I guess it depends on your definition of snowmobiling.

I think alot of the typical trail riders from urban areas have a very narrow view of what snowmobiles are and what they're used for.

Oh if they can't do a 300 mile day they're useless.  Lol.  Such a tiny, narrow, and clueless view.

I just saw an article talking about a bunch of ski hills buying up taigas.  Funny all the hate comments.   Congrats they have that in common with Ramstad.

I would think a trapper in the bush probably doesn't travel very far to check traps (could be wrong). If they are off grid, and have solar panels and an inverter, they could plug in at the cabin, and have no need for gas, an no worries about engine not starting. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I guess it depends on your definition of snowmobiling.

I think alot of the typical trail riders from urban areas have a very narrow view of what snowmobiles are and what they're used for.

Oh if they can't do a 300 mile day they're useless.  Lol.  Such a tiny, narrow, and clueless view.

I just saw an article talking about a bunch of ski hills buying up taigas.  Funny all the hate comments.   Congrats they have that in common with Ramstad.

This seems like a miserable hobby to me.  We've all seen it though.  Especially the ones that have to trailer 4 hours to get to snow.  They'll be damned if they aren't going to log 5-600 miles in two days!!!  Eeeesh.  I mean, how many of those miles were actually "fun"?  How many were just sitting there watching the snow go under the skis.  Eeeesh.

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

This seems like a miserable hobby to me.  We've all seen it though.  Especially the ones that have to trailer 4 hours to get to snow.  They'll be damned if they aren't going to log 5-600 miles in two days!!!  Eeeesh.  I mean, how many of those miles were actually "fun"?  How many were just sitting there watching the snow go under the skis.  Eeeesh.

Yeah I'm not into racking up miles for the sake of padding your tally.  It seems very basic but to each their own.  Just seems the guys that do that thinks that's the only way to do snowmobiling... Big "trips", hotels, set routes, being a tourist and then back to the suburbs and proclaiming that the hotels don't have charge hookups so electric sleds are worthless.

When I was a kid we'd ride every day when there was snow, rarely rode trails, never even talked about miles.  We pounded ditches and raced in fields and knew how to get all over the place the way only locals can.. I still like to hit the trails a few times a year but that kind of simple fun riding is more fun than just logging miles to me.   If you can get an e sled to go the same range as a tank of fuel, that's plenty good for alot of people.  I think it'd be a sales hit if they had a midsize offering for kids too.  But some think any offering that isn't for their specific demographic is stupid.

17 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Yeah I'm not into racking up miles for the sake of padding your tally.  It seems very basic but to each their own.  Just seems the guys that do that thinks that's the only way to do snowmobiling... Big "trips", hotels, set routes, being a tourist and then back to the suburbs and proclaiming that the hotels don't have charge hookups so electric sleds are worthless.

When I was a kid we'd ride every day when there was snow, rarely rode trails, never even talked about miles.  We pounded ditches and raced in fields and knew how to get all over the place the way only locals can.. I still like to hit the trails a few times a year but that kind of simple fun riding is more fun than just logging miles to me.   If you can get an e sled to go the same range as a tank of fuel, that's plenty good for alot of people.  I think it'd be a sales hit if they had a midsize offering for kids too.  But some think any offering that isn't for their specific demographic is stupid.

Honestly, I never heard anybody brag about high miles until I got into forums.  Maybe they did but, I just wasn't in their circle to hear it.  We just rode until we got tired or, tired of it.  :dunno:

• Like 1

An slEd might work for me most of the time.  Doubtful a Taiga is my cup of tea as far as an enjoyable sled, but still applaud their efforts.

My favorite evening loop is 70 miles round trip and most of it is twisty and in the woods.  My favorite weekend run is about 180 miles.  Both are an enjoyable physical workout and I'll typically put on 2k a year doing those type of runs. 

I do have the option of riding numerous cornfield and rail bed loops if I want to ride wfo and rack up miles.  I'd rather watch paint dry. 

There's plenty of mileage braggarts on the forums and in this thread.  To each their own.

When there’s snow at home I’ll go throw down 50-75 miles in an evening - ride over to a buddies shop, shoot the shit for an hour and head back.  I’ll do that 3-4 days a week if there’s snow at home south of the Twin Cities.  
If the snow is non-existent for riding there, I’ll spend 4-5 days at a time up north mostly weekdays, with at least 2 10-day saddle bag trips, couple hundred miles a day.  I usually burn about 25 days of my PTO during late December through March if snow permits.  Someday soon I’ll just take the whole winter off work.

Is it about the miles?  Yeah, to a certain extent.  For me knowing how many miles it’s been since the last full maintenance session keeps me in the game all winter.  Usually have to go through the sled twice during the season, every 2-2500 miles or so.  But mostly I just like to ride.  To me, there’s just something about being out there in the beauty of the snow.  And getting into the best shape of the year for me is a bonus!

So to stay on topic, an electric sled is not there yet for me.

Edited by Mag6240

Our main core group just enjoys riding.  Normal day riding just happens to be between 200 to 300 miles and can be any combination of riding between trails in the woods, railroad grades, forest roads, corn fields, rivers etc.   Haven't worked Fridays or some Thursdays in the winter for the past 5 years and have resources where we can normally travel where the snow is and have accommodations if we don't have snow around home.  To each they're own just enjoy getting out and riding or grooming.

Not bar sitters.  Stop for a breakfast or lunch and have a a couple adult beverages at the last stop.     

• Like 1