Wish can manufacturers spent the fall talking to land owners to get permission for trails

Spent some time today stopping by some of our land owners.  Every year they have comments on some sleds that are a lot louder than others.  Guys are going to buy the cans but it would be interesting how many can manufacturers take landowners into consideration.  I've seen "acceptable level" and "trail friendly level" advertised. How many can manufacturers actually spend the time to talk to clubs and landowners?  Some of these manufacturers are actually hurting the sport with their products.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Doug said:

Spent some time today stopping by some of our land owners.  Every year they have comments on some sleds that are a lot louder than others.  Guys are going to buy the cans but it would be interesting how many can manufacturers take landowners into consideration.  I've seen "acceptable level" and "trail friendly level" advertised. How many can manufacturers actually spend the time to talk to clubs and landowners?  Some of these manufacturers are actually hurting the sport with their products.

Hit the nail on the head. I'd also like the people that ride a loud sled to have to talk face to face with some landowners as well.

• Like 1

Agree, but the manufacturers aren't the ones bolting them onto these nimwits sleds.  Same goes for the shit for brains that can't stay within the markers.

It's all about 'their freedom' Doug.

As I've said before, snowmobilers will kill this sport long before global warming does.

Man, this topic couldn't come at a better time as we had our annual Land Owners Appreciate / Chicken BBQ last weekend & this exact topic was a popular one.  One guy overheard a few of us talking about it, and didn't realize we were AGAINST cans (he was clearly for them) ... so that conversation got kind of interesting & he made his way to another group pretty quick.  The part that absolutely makes me laugh are the guys who are 100% trail riders and claiming they do this to save weight.  And I keep saying, "So can you really tell the difference in your sled when it's 100% full of gas vs. when it's a half tank?"  Because if weight is such a big deal, running a sled with a full tank of gas is completely stupid!! LOL

Anyway - this topic will always be so damn frustrating.  And I agree with others ... make these morons join a club and talk with land owners!  

• Like 2

These is almost ALWAYS the main complaints.  Loud Sleds and trespassing.

The only way to get to those who do both, is to talk to them.  It can certainly be challenging, as they don't want to be told they can't do something.  And in the grand scheme of things, I agree with that sentiment.  I don't like being told I can't do something.  

What most people still don't understand, and I know its the obvious point, most, I say "most" trails cross private property.  We hear of it all the time, trails getting closed because they can't respect the land owner's wishes.  Getting those who insist on cans and running outside of markers are definitely the ones who need to hear if from land owners.  But, those are the same ones that just don't care what anyone else thinks, and generally are not involved in clubs, but not exclusive.  I've had this conversation with a few members in our club. 

Noise enforcement won't come from any of us, it will come from the land owners saying NO.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

These is almost ALWAYS the main complaints.  Loud Sleds and trespassing.

The only way to get to those who do both, is to talk to them.  It can certainly be challenging, as they don't want to be told they can't do something.  And in the grand scheme of things, I agree with that sentiment.  I don't like being told I can't do something.  

What most people still don't understand, and I know its the obvious point, most, I say "most" trails cross private property.  We hear of it all the time, trails getting closed because they can't respect the land owner's wishes.  Getting those who insist on cans and running outside of markers are definitely the ones who need to hear if from land owners.  But, those are the same ones that just don't care what anyone else thinks, and generally are not involved in clubs, but not exclusive.  I've had this conversation with a few members in our club. 

Noise enforcement won't come from any of us, it will come from the land owners saying NO.

Enforcement certainly isn't coming from the DNR, that I've seen.  So who/what is going to stop them?  Furthermore it's my opinion the vast majority of people riding off the marked trail and using loud cans aren't 'locals' who have no skin in the game if a trail gets closed 'up north'.

What imo would be awesome would be to round up all the noise making cans, strap a stock sled to a dyno and then post the graph results and video.

On the weight front, I'm sure most of us could stand to lose 20lbs, instead of our mufflers.

• Gold Member

I don’t know how it is in other states but in NH anything other than stock is illegal and a instant ticket on trails if the fish cops are around. I definitely see a lot less people with exhausts especially compared to back in the triple days.

For me I'm just tired of trying to defend the noise and off trail issues.  Turn you back and loose the trails or be the whipping boy and take the beating when you talk to the landowners.  We have great landowners but we've also lost some good landowners that have just had enough.  Can't say I blame them in some cases.  Yes I think if people were more involved with clubs taking with the landowners and see what it takes to keep trails or why a trail is routed a certain way because of a land owners request, that would open some eyes.

• Like 2

Even the "quiet" cans are usually quite a bit louder over stock.

But with that said, old stock sleds are louder also.

I think what it really comes down to is the person working the throttle.  A mature rider can cruise through town with a louder sled but I don't think that's going to be a big deal.  It is the stupid brapper types that annoy the fuck out of everybody.