How does this happen?

Actually makes me feel a little better seeing it that rusted and twisted and still holding together. Have to assume a trailer toppled over while the truck held upright somehow or too heavy a trailer with no brakes pushed it in? Never seen anything like it.:wtf:

• Gold Member
Just now, SShooterZ said:

Actually makes me feel a little better seeing it that rusted and twisted and still holding together. Have to assume a trailer toppled over while the truck held upright somehow or too heavy a trailer with no brakes pushed it in? Never seen anything like it.:wtf:

I originally was thinking trailer maybe jackknifed and went under the truck but doesn’t seem to be any damage underneath the truck. Opposite side bed is smashed and front damage. Idk Strange 

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

The bumper looks a little deformed above it - certainly looks like a trailer was attached when something bad, like a rolled over trailer happened.

Oh it’s deformed 😂 it’s just weird the hitch bend is the opposite way of the damage side

37B9BAC2-948C-40BD-922F-7E3A71A27A77.jpeg

• Sad 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

I would be looking for cracks on the hitch frame.

It’s getting changed not worth the liability. The edge under the bumper on side that got hit has a slight bend too but either way we’d change it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Just got this truck looking over the damage and I see this. Can’t say I’ve ever seen this before.

073F1808-F002-4C19-92EC-0E5B4720FCD5.jpeg

Look at the receiver. It looks like a 2" receiver, but the insert is only a 1" bar!!!

That's the wrong bar for that receiver, that's why it bent so easy. 

The damage all makes sense.

It was hit hard on that corner, and the trailer ball bar got caught on some heavy component, which bent it.

All the damage is in the same direction. 

It looks like it might be a REESE ball hitch, and if you expand the pic you will see that it has a metal piece stuck on the base of the ball, with WOOD imbedded in it. You can also see the ball has been scraped by metal. ( striations on the ball ). 

I might even check that for FRAME DAMAGE on that  corner of the truck. Once the bumpers and hitch are all stripped off, I'd get out the gauges. I'm almost willing to bet the truck frame is bent to some degree.  

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

Look at the receiver. It looks like a 2" receiver, but the insert is only a 1" bar!!!

That's the wrong bar for that receiver, that's why it bent so easy. 

The damage all makes sense.

It was hit hard on that corner, and the trailer ball bar got caught on some heavy component, which bent it.

All the damage is in the same direction. 

It’s a 2” bar but the receiver does have a sleeve so I think it can accept a 2.5”? 
Lot of the new trucks have those sleeves.

39 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

I might even check that for FRAME DAMAGE on that  corner of the truck. Once the bumpers and hitch are all stripped off, I'd get out the gauges. I'm almost willing to bet the truck frame is bent to some degree.  

Frame isn’t bent by my visually looking at it no damage bends/kinks, bed still has nice line with cab, wheels centered etc. I’ll be throwing it on the rack just to check anyways but I think it’ll be fine boxed 2500 frames don’t bend to easy. I had a older 1500 none boxed last week similar hit hitch folded down under the truck and it bent the frame like a pretzel lol.

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Oh it’s deformed 😂 it’s just weird the hitch bend is the opposite way of the damage side

37B9BAC2-948C-40BD-922F-7E3A71A27A77.jpeg

That's the way the damage would occur for a jackknifed truck/trailer.   Got to admire the strength of the trailer latch....damn. 

download (12).png

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2021 at 7:24 AM, 800renegaderider said:

It’s a 2” bar but the receiver does have a sleeve so I think it can accept a 2.5”? 
Lot of the new trucks have those sleeves.

Frame isn’t bent by my visually looking at it no damage bends/kinks, bed still has nice line with cab, wheels centered etc. I’ll be throwing it on the rack just to check anyways but I think it’ll be fine boxed 2500 frames don’t bend to easy. I had a older 1500 none boxed last week similar hit hitch folded down under the truck and it bent the frame like a pretzel lol.

So, is the frame bent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

On 9/16/2021 at 4:11 PM, 800renegaderider said:

Just got this truck looking over the damage and I see this. Can’t say I’ve ever seen this before.

073F1808-F002-4C19-92EC-0E5B4720FCD5.jpeg

The guy was a fucktard for using a 1' ball mount on a 2" receiver. I'm wondering if that amount of play, caused the trailer to side-sway out of control. :dunno:

• Gold Member
13 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

So, is the frame bent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I don’t think so but won’t know until insurance stops dragging there ass and gives the ok on preliminary estimate. Once they do I’ll actually start working on it get it on the rack measure it.

12 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

The guy was a fucktard for using a 1' ball mount on a 2" receiver. I'm wondering if that amount of play, caused the trailer to side-sway out of control. :dunno:

It’s a 2” bar not a 1” I measured it Friday. It is just a 2.5” hole with a sleeve to accept a 2” bar. The sleeves are nothing new lot of new truck have them. I did find some trailer pieces thrown in the back seat floor Friday also. Jack and torn off pieces of safety cable and lock on what’s left of the tongue latch so definitely some kind of trailer incident.

7 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I don’t think so but won’t know until insurance stops dragging there ass and gives the ok on preliminary estimate. Once they do I’ll actually start working on it get it on the rack measure it.

It’s a 2” bar not a 1” I measured it Friday. It is just a 2.5” hole with a sleeve to accept a 2” bar. The sleeves are nothing new lot of new truck have them. I did find some trailer pieces thrown in the back seat floor Friday also. Jack and torn off pieces of safety cable and lock on what’s left of the tongue latch so definitely some kind of trailer incident.

I'll be waiting for a full inspection, and measurement report.   I'm curious to see if the frame was pushed down a bit on that corner. I don't think any DIAMOND, but maybe???  

19 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

How much is that job gonna' be? Offhand? 

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

I'll be waiting for a full inspection, and measurement report.   I'm curious to see if the frame was pushed down a bit on that corner. I don't think any DIAMOND, but maybe???  

😂 👍 it’s definitely not diamond and if it is tweaked at all I’d be surprised but who know for sure till it’s on the rack.

7 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

How much is that job gonna' be? Offhand? 

No idea wrote my notes office entered them in sent over to insurance. Guess maybe 10-15k It wiped out the front too fender/door basically the entire drivers side. I don’t bother looking at paperwork until it’s time to work on it. I have 13 other cars going right now this one is way at the bottom of the list since we don’t even have a ok from insurance yet.

28 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

😂 👍 it’s definitely not diamond and if it is tweaked at all I’d be surprised but who know for sure till it’s on the rack.

No idea wrote my notes office entered them in sent over to insurance. Guess maybe 10-15k It wiped out the front too fender/door basically the entire drivers side. I don’t bother looking at paperwork until it’s time to work on it. I have 13 other cars going right now this one is way at the bottom of the list since we don’t even have a ok from insurance yet.

wow