ICU bed shortage in Wisconsin

Crnr2Crnr

21 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Might be the single biggest mishandling of the pandemic was the handouts.  Hell a local pizza place had this sign out front today at lunch.  WTF?  Doesn't anyone want to work?

bVgGK4n.png

in the panic i might get the first set of handouts but to go back to the well a couple times after when there was no collapse and people did not have to really qualify for the handouts was batshit crazy.  Hey don't worry about looking for a job and here is an extra 300-500 a week,  SMH.   Hey our business is having it's best year ever but you got gov money just in case-  no reason to repay we will just forgive it.   Making more on your paycheck than last year,  here's 10k in free government money for your family.  SMH

The deception is amazing.  Why are democrats and the media constantly lying about this?

Per HHS, Lest than  10% of inpatient beds are being used by covid patients in Wisconsin.

https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/hospital-utilization?fbclid=IwAR0Kcqqjsn9adbF6z-HUfshdMx_y_nB87HIgVSIFu60rd0cJhfbEntUIN-8

• Like 3

Here is the data in MN.  I don't know how Wisconsin reports theirs.  ICU in use is 1,107, capacity of 1,161.  That means 54 ICU beds available in the entire state.  There are a little over 200 people in the ICU with covid.  Look at the total ICU number over time, it's relatively unchanged. 

I have a hard time believing our healthcare system can't handle these sorts of numbers.  Pull some nursing and med school students into the field early if we have to and quit firing healthcare employees over not wanting to get the jab.  They should have never furloughed all those healthcare workers in March and April 2020 and maybe they wouldn't have lost so much staff.

image.thumb.png.b7647172049247a07c0da010bb6ce057.png

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member

Keep in mind as someone has already posted "beds" are tied to staffing.  How else do you explain hospitals showing fractions of hospital beds.   One local hospital is showing 6.1 ICU beds.  Their capacity jumps all over the place because a gain in 1 or 2 patients can jump it by 50% or more.   If you had 2 people occupying beds and add two you just had an increase of 100%.   Looks terrible but is it really?  In many ways they can make the numbers look any way they want. 

5 years ago when my son was admitted into UofI PICU for a blood clot he stayed there until release because there were no beds open in the regular Ped's dept.   It was for an extra 3 days because after surgery he was suppose to move to the regular Ped dept.   

https://data.greenvilleonline.com/covid-19-hospital-capacity/facility/finley-hospital/160117/

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

• Gold Member
59 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Here is the data in MN.  I don't know how Wisconsin reports theirs.  ICU in use is 1,107, capacity of 1,161.  That means 54 ICU beds available in the entire state.  There are a little over 200 people in the ICU with covid.  Look at the total ICU number over time, it's relatively unchanged. 

I have a hard time believing our healthcare system can't handle these sorts of numbers.  Pull some nursing and med school students into the field early if we have to and quit firing healthcare employees over not wanting to get the jab.  They should have never furloughed all those healthcare workers in March and April 2020 and maybe they wouldn't have lost so much staff.

image.thumb.png.b7647172049247a07c0da010bb6ce057.png

Well said. 

Ive been in the ICU and Hospital for almost a month with my Son years ago prior to Covid. They were almost at full capacity back then. 

Ive been to the Hospital years ago after MX accidents and waited hours just to be seen with an open gash in my leg bleeding or a broken arm, road rash etc as Homicide Hartford gunshot victims get wheeled by one after another. 

Hospitals are always busy. 

This is nothing new but the Media and libtards think is proves something about how we all need to be so scared still. Well If I wanna play in their crazy world it must all be Biden’s fault now.  After all he is in charge supposedly. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Keep in mind as someone has already posted "beds" are tied to staffing.  How else do you explain hospitals showing fractions of hospital beds.   One local hospital is showing 6.1 ICU beds.  Their capacity jumps all over the place because a gain in 1 or 2 patients can jump it by 50% or more.   If you had 2 people occupying beds and add two you just had an increase of 100%.   Looks terrible but is it really?  In many ways they can make the numbers look any way they want. 

5 years ago when my son was admitted into UofI PICU for a blood clot he stayed there until release because there were no beds open in the regular Ped's dept.   It was for an extra 3 days because after surgery he was suppose to move to the regular Ped dept.   

https://data.greenvilleonline.com/covid-19-hospital-capacity/facility/finley-hospital/160117/

Look at how they are in the red almost at capacity now when actual ICU bed usage is down from 6.6 to 5.9 average but they went from 13 ICU beds to 6.1 beds.  What happened to the other 7 beds since last summer?

Sept. 10, 2021 113.0 69.4% 67.3 of 97.0 beds used 96.7% 5.9 of 6.1 beds used
July 31, 2020 133.9 39.9% 50.7 of 127.0 beds used 50.8% 6.6 of 13.0 beds used
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Ive been in the ICU and Hospital for almost a month with my Son years ago prior to Covid. They were almost at full capacity back then. 

Hospitals don't make money running at 50% capacity.  No business does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Look at how they are in the red almost at capacity now when actual ICU bed usage is down from 6.6 to 5.9 average but they went from 13 ICU beds to 6.1 beds.  What happened to the other 7 beds since last summer?

Sept. 10, 2021 113.0 69.4% 67.3 of 97.0 beds used 96.7% 5.9 of 6.1 beds used
July 31, 2020 133.9 39.9% 50.7 of 127.0 beds used 50.8% 6.6 of 13.0 beds used

Probably all based off need and staffing. 

St Mary’s emergency room in Rochester averages around 30 people 

last month or two they have been 50+.
covid cases definitely up along with your normal stuff.

problem is covid takes up a spot for trans victim.

things have started to settle down a bit.

st Mary’s also been running code yellow and red.

meaning regular surgeries on hold.
short staffing is hurting and not sure how they are going to correct that.

20 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Hospitals don't make money running at 50% capacity.  No business does.

bingo.  If some dipshit builds a hospital and it runs at like 25% then obviously they have too many beds for the area they support.  But this type of statistical bullshit is exactly designed to deceive the fucking democrats that believe it and can't think about how a business should work.

Two of my daughters in nursing school.

one just passed lpn test and now starting rn program!

looking forward to them taking care of dad!!maybe I can retire!!😁

Edited by X2700
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, X2700 said:

A day?

Here's what's happening at the hospital in my neck of the woods.  The high census consists of a lot of additional patients with Covid along with the regular population of patients that are septic, have chronic diseases that require hospitalization, traumas, women having babies, sick children, etc.  Surgery has reduced the number of cases being performed due to the lack of open beds.  The ER is crazy busy, every single day, and they've been having to hold patients that should be on a medical floor, for up to 50 hours.  The air medical transport gets called from other facilities to pick up patients and bring them to the main hospital, but doesn't end up bringing them, because there's no room for them.

Staffing is short due to high census.  Just because you have X number of beds, doesn't mean you can staff them day in and day our for a year plus and counting.  Staff aren't necessarily cross-trained to work in multiple departments.  Oncology staff aren't safely able to take care of babies in the NICU because they've never done it, nor would anyone want them to.  The hospital has to be staffed 24/7 so that requires multiple shifts.  Throw in part time people and weekends and it requires A LOT to staff a decent sized hospital.  Additionally, it takes extra staff to do constant observation for suicidal, behavioral, and violent patients.  Staff are floating to other areas, working extra, and doing what they can.

Staff in leadership positions have been working the floors to help out, as they should.  Staff are burned out and working extra constantly along with others that have left to pursue travel positions that pay more.  Some have left healthcare altogether.  A full time worker at 40 hrs/week will work 2080 hrs in a year.  I worked just under 3400 hrs last year.  And I'm far from being the only one.

It's easy to say that staff should be moved around or released from school early, until it comes to them taking care of one of your family or friends.

7 hours ago, X2700 said:

maybe by having less unnecessary covid cases from unvaccinated people, to start?

• Gold Member
59 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

maybe by having less unnecessary covid cases from unvaccinated people, to start?

You still believe that bullshit ! 🤣🤣🤣

The data now clearly shows vaccinated people are in the hospital, dying and spreading Covid just as much if not more than non Vaccinated but sure keep believing you have some moral high ground and are saving Iives 'cus you got jabbed up. 👍

4 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

You still believe that bullshit ! 🤣🤣🤣

The data now clearly shows vaccinated people are in the hospital, dying and spreading Covid just as much if not more than non Vaccinated but sure keep believing you have some moral high ground and are saving Iives 'cus you got jabbed up. 👍