What Brand Snowmobile Is Best??

Whats best for me, might not be best for you...

I ridden Polaris for the last 10 years because they, IMO, have far and away the best mtn chassis. So good in fact that I'm willing to rebuild the engines every 2 years/2k miles. Engines are easy and cheap to fix/maintain, a poor chassis is not. 

If you cant fix an engine yourself, its probably not going to be the best for you.

As far as trail sleds, whatever one I fit on the best is probably good enough. I fit like a saddle on a sow on the procross. 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Legend said:

Whats best for me, might not be best for you...

I ridden Polaris for the last 10 years because they, IMO, have far and away the best mtn chassis. So good in fact that I'm willing to rebuild the engines every 2 years/2k miles. Engines are easy and cheap to fix/maintain, a poor chassis is not. 

If you cant fix an engine yourself, its probably not going to be the best for you.

As far as trail sleds, whatever one I fit on the best is probably good enough. I fit like a saddle on a sow on the procross. 

Thanks for the detailed answer. I think thrrads like this can be very interesting :dunno:

1 hour ago, ckf said:

Thanks for the detailed answer. I think thrrads like this can be very interesting :dunno:

All honesty here ... having a group of guys with all 3 brands (Yamaha isn't part of our crew) the Polaris simply has the best feel all around.  I will say my buddy's ZR is dialed in nicely and the front is extremely stable, but the overall feel of it doesn't feel as comfortable as the Polaris.  The rear suspensions between the Cat and Polaris is pretty much a wash ... if I were to rate them on a 10 point scale I'd give Polaris a 9 and Cat an 8.5.  SkiDoo gets the nod in the rear suspension but their front end sucks and I hate the feel of the sled overall with the seating position.  And I hate to say it but, I consider the looks of a sled too .... and I'm sorry but that Daffy Duck looking thing just doesn't cut it for me.  Engine wise - if you were to compare 800's and 850's - I guess I'd have to say Doo, only for the fact it seems to have a bit longer legs on the top end.  It's definitely smoother, that's for sure.  Cat's 800 is impressive, but it's not an 850 and unfortunately that's a knock on it.  Durability wise, people can laugh at Polaris all they want but the fact is Cat and Doo are no better (especially now that Cat has to play by the same rules).  I don't hold onto my sleds for more than 2 or 3 seasons, so if an engine makes it 5000 miles, that's really what I expect out of high strung 2-stroke.  Refreshing the top end at that point is not a huge deal.

So for me it's Polaris ... if I had to choose another brand outside Polaris, it'd be a tough call but I'd lean towards the Cat because it feels better (and definitely looks better) than the Doo. 

• Thanks 1

Lynx for me obviously!
Best seating position, awesome suspension and BRPs LINQ-system. But I have friends that ride Polaris and they say they are the best, even some persons that hail Yamaha., and I used to ride Cat for many years before Lynx.
But for me the Lynx is perfect, pin it over the moguls and just hold on, or click in the 2-up seat for my daughter (and then pin it over the moguls) :-)

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snoooow

• Like 2

Well, since we're being honest - there's pros & cons to all of them. No one manufacturer is the best at everything. You have to pick the sled that's best for you. Based on sales numbers the majority of riders currently feel that Ski-Doo is the correct answer to your question. Why??? High quality & leading technology. (only OEM with DI, best riding rear skid, and industry leading 2S durability "as of late" not to mention excellent F&F & build quality) 

I will say the Polcats steer lighter & offer better lighting from the factory. Oh and yes look better in most cases if you care about cosmetics. And Poo's new gauge & warmers are pretty spiffy. It's too bad the quality & durability isn't better - and oh that seat....If they could just put a more comfortable seat on them or at least offer one as an accessory their sales would probably jump up. 

Edited by nacapster
  • Like 1

The durability of the 2 strokes has leveled out across the brands.

Remember a while back someone created a poll about durability.  Even went on another sight to try to recruit people to come over and vote.  Ended his brand had was the least durable.

• Like 1

All have their own detriments and attributes.

Resale says Doo still reigns supreme for the combined attributes of best performing out of the box, most reliable and largest and most efficient dealer network.

Poo is great for options and choices and has done a good job with their dealer network.  Still lagging in motor durability and hardcore performance features.  Good looking sleds though.

Cat is the toughest out there but, PC is becoming historic in spite of some great adaptations over rthe last ten.  Chassis is the least comfortable for tourist.  Their dealer network has seen enough of the follies from TRF so, it’s basically non-existent.  Textron is making all the Cat faithful weary.  Still, it fits my style better than any so, it will most likely be my ride again this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doug said:

The durability of the 2 strokes has leveled out across the brands.

Remember a while back someone created a poll about durability.  Even went on another sight to try to recruit people to come over and vote.  Ended his brand had was the least durable.

Doo & Poo pretty much tied in that poll and the riding dirty Cat kicked both of their asses. Now (especially in 2019 LOL) Doo has the advantage. I’ve been toying with the idea of trying out one of these newer / almost 700 class 600s. I haven’t seen a single post on DT about a 600R going down. A quick peek over on HCS and I found 3 or 4 650s that went down last year and others with issues like fouling spark plugs / not starting, c’mon it’s frickin 2021, not 1981.

6 minutes ago, nacapster said:

Doo & Poo pretty much tied in that poll and the riding dirty Cat kicked both of their asses. Now (especially in 2019 LOL) Doo has the advantage. I’ve been toying with the idea of trying out one of these newer / almost 700 class 600s. I haven’t seen a single post on DT about a 600R going down. A quick peek over on HCS and I found 3 or 4 650s that went down last year and others with issues like fouling spark plugs / not starting, c’mon it’s frickin 2021, not 1981.

Your not going to start another poll are you?  On HCS there was one 650 that went down because of the water pump gear.

I'll stick with they're all about even now.  I do have to give Doo credit for their long block exchange program.

11 hours ago, Doug said:

Your not going to start another poll are you?  On HCS there was one 650 that went down because of the water pump gear.

I'll stick with they're all about even now.  I do have to give Doo credit for their long block exchange program.

On the bold, think what you want. There's no need for a new poll, the results are self evident. I could post links but there was at least 3 when I looked and it's only been out for one season. Doo's 600R has been out for 3.5 seasons and I haven't seen a single one blown up on DT. Go ahead and look, you won't find one. 

1 minute ago, nacapster said:

On the bold, think what you want. There's no need for a new poll, the results are self evident. I could post links but there was at least 3 when I looked and it's only been out for one season. Doo's 600R has been out for 3.5 seasons and I haven't seen a single one blown up on DT. Go ahead and look, you won't find one. 

LOL ... referencing DT :lol:  Do those shit bags even allow any sort of negative talk about their beloved brand?  I'm sure PitCunt probably removes anything that doesn't paint a rosy picture of BRP.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, nacapster said:

No reason to look and I'm sure that's all you see 👍

kietla-diabola-lunettes-soleil-bebe-jaune-petit-sixieme.jpg

13 hours ago, nacapster said:

One POO was riding with me last winter. Brand new Indy650. 1st time out, we where about 20-30 miles into ride got to our 1st straight stretch (we rode all narrow tight turn trails till then) we goosed it, side by side few seconds later at about 60-65mph it seized. Impossible for it to be cold or hot seize. Dealer put in new engine and it’s been fine for about 1k mikes.