2008 RMK 700 engine rebuild.

Tomas.

For reasons so convoluted and hard to explain, even I don't know why I am doing it for the most part, I am rebuilding a 700cfi.

The reason it went down in the first place is a ring caught a port. That owner sold the whole sled to the guy I bought it off of. I bought the whole sled and took off what I wanted and was going to part it out. That was 3 years ago and well here I am.

I have new Wiseco pistons, con rod needle bearings, used cylinders and used head, gaskets, ect. 

The engine has had the top end a part but sitting loosely together with no pistons on to help keep the dirt out for about a year and a half now. 

I have never rebuilt a two stoke before. All my limited engine experience has been limited to a couple of klr 650 top ends.

I don't really want to fully rebuild this thing and sink $1000's into it. I am just tired of it sitting on my property rotting away. It is a long story to why it is there but yeah.

Basically I am looking for advice, tips, suggestions to make this as cheap and painless as possible.

It will be surplus to my needs but it will be nice to have a third running sled kicking around for when the occasion arises.

Clean everything good. Put wrist pin clips in with opening facing down. Use lots of oil during assembly. 

Oh and measure ring gap. Make sure you put piston in the right way. 

Always let engines with forged pistons warm up good before driving hard. You can drive it easy, but wait a mile or 2 before going WOT. 

You got it apart this far, pull reeds and inspect. Would probably be good to check crank run out and bearings as well.

Thank you! I didn't end up seeing your comments till I was done lol. But did pretty much everything you said.

According to the paper that came with the pistons, end gap is supposed to be 0.004" per inch of bore diameter. The example they gave was  0.012" for 3". The bore was 3.18". The end gap is 0.014".

The I have the wrist pin clips openings facing down and off to the side a little to cover the opening in the piston to pop them out.

I am a stickler when it comes to letting my stuff warm up. I won't touch the throttle on my sled till the gauge is showing 100°f. I even let my car warm up in the summer for 5+ mins lol. Probably why my turbo Subaru hasn't blown up lmao.

received_272387178040972.jpeg

received_365523188446975.jpeg

received_550393186199103.jpeg

received_580169819833487.jpeg

received_984375845473145.jpeg

received_189795576575190.jpeg

• Like 1