Any snowmobile trips planned?

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Have soon to be had enough vacation that I don't work Fridays in the winter and took some Thursdays off as well.  Thursday and Friday were always our days to ride hard.  Our place is 25 miles East of Eagle River Wis.  So for Saturdays rides we normally head up to Michigan through Iron River up to Sidnaw and over towards Republic then back as it's a much less traveled area.

Man, the last time I was in Republic was the winter of 2000. We were staying in Ishpeming for a week. On one of our ride loops, we were headed to Republic when the drive axle bearing seized, snapping the driveshaft, on my buddys 1999 ZR 600. It was about 2-2:30 when we got him to Republic and there was a BIG storm coming. The owners of a gas station said he could stay there and we could come back and get him but they closed at 6. My other buddy and me slammed a gas station sammich and a soda each, then hauled ass for Ishpeming. We made it there by about 4:30 and it was already whiteout conditions. We grabbed the truck and went to get him. Took us almost 2 Hours to get that 20ish miles by truck. It was bad. When we got to him, his sled looked like a snow bank because of the 2’ they had already gotten since we left him. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen it snow that hard before. Marquette Cat dealer got him fixed up 36 hours later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I'm sure that the technology has come even further since we used them regularly. They were good for about a half a mile or so.

Yeah, if the wife rode more, I would have a set for sure. My hand signals make her think I’m mad at her. 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Big groups all using hand signals.  That’s fun for sure.  :lmao:

Nawww….I’ll  nab something before riding commences.  

Especially at night. 

11 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Who uses CL anymore? 

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Yeah, if the wife rode more, I would have a set for sure. My hand signals make her think I’m mad at her. 🤣🤣

The main guys I ride with I've ridden with them for over 20 -30 years so we know each other riding habits.

My wife suggested getting communicators a couple times and I'm like :thumbsdown:to myself.  Sometimes a husband needs alone riding times. 

1 minute ago, Doug said:

The main guys I ride with I've ridden with them for over 20 -30 years so we know each other riding habits.

My wife suggested getting communicators a couple times and I'm like :thumbsdown:to myself.  Sometimes a husband needs alone riding times. 

I don’t have a large group of guys to ride with but I’m ok with that. The 5-6 guys in our group is perfect and degenerate enough.

I would actually even feel safer is we had communicators because she’s ridden for many years but needs a little more “coaching” than one of the guys, to stay safe.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doug said:

They weren't really great for carrying on a conversation at the time. But good enough to alert the others that had them what was going on. For example, you had to say your 1st word twice. Or at least a word to activate the voice activated microphone.

39 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Especially at night while wearing a mask. 

Who uses CL anymore? 

Fixed part one.

CL people are still nicer and far more normal than the fucking tools on FB marketplace.  Those folks are a special type of retarded.

31 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Fixed part one.

CL people are still nicer and far more normal than the fucking tools on FB marketplace.  Those folks are a special type of retarded.

There is literally nothing for sale on CL around here anymore. 

Nah no need to plan anything this far out.  I'm sure I'll ride from my buddies place in two harbors a couple times, we usually do some off trail expeditions.  But besides that just riding off trail and trail at my place.. my buddies that we used to do trips to their cabins or north shore or wherever else all only want to ride at my place now.  I don't blame them.  Might do an overnight trip from my place to my buddies cabin this year and then back to my place the next day, it'd be an adventure.  Talk of it last year but it didn't happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Can you make it at far as the Rustic Inn or is that a saddle bagger for you?

I don’t do “saddle bag” runs.  You know this!  Right now, I’m looking at about 6, 1 gallon fuel bags you are all going to be responsible for carrying for me.  That’ll net me about 80 miles.  Perfect!  :lol:

14 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I don’t do “saddle bag” runs.  You know this!  Right now, I’m looking at about 6, 1 gallon fuel bags you are all going to be responsible for carrying for me.  That’ll net me about 80 miles.  Perfect!  :lol:

You might want to send something that fragile with the Polaris boys.  If their motors hold up that long they will be by, I'm sure, eventually.

• Haha 1

We usually put in reservations for the friggin holiday week every year.  In fact, we make the reservation during the last spring trip just to make sure.   Same story this year.

I don't like riding that week because of questionable conditions and heavy traffic.  Last couple of years a lot of the trails were not yet open.  It can be a real crap fest.

I only do that trip because riding buds kids are in school and don't have other easy options.  I basically spend the week making sure they know how to ride smart and safe.  I will say that the kids do get a good lesson in reality trying to ride those trails in that traffic.  Every one of them has rode through mud holes and stickers during their first trip.  When they screw up, they do the laundry. (Swamp mud can be some stinky crap.)  Those kids learn fast. - The old guy wasn't kidding when he said to get on the gas. ;) 

It's a crappy week to ride, but still better than sitting around home.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:29 PM, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Man, the last time I was in Republic was the winter of 2000. We were staying in Ishpeming for a week. On one of our ride loops, we were headed to Republic when the drive axle bearing seized, snapping the driveshaft, on my buddys 1999 ZR 600. It was about 2-2:30 when we got him to Republic and there was a BIG storm coming. The owners of a gas station said he could stay there and we could come back and get him but they closed at 6. My other buddy and me slammed a gas station sammich and a soda each, then hauled ass for Ishpeming. We made it there by about 4:30 and it was already whiteout conditions. We grabbed the truck and went to get him. Took us almost 2 Hours to get that 20ish miles by truck. It was bad. When we got to him, his sled looked like a snow bank because of the 2’ they had already gotten since we left him. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen it snow that hard before. Marquette Cat dealer got him fixed up 36 hours later. 

I’ve had some bad trips up there in a snow storm, we were staying in sand river, went to grand marais , coming back my buddy’s yammi broke on h-58, used his sweat shirt for a tow strap to get him to bear trap, rode all the way to sand river to get the rig, snowing like hell the whole time, got back to bear trap to pick him up and he’s so gooned up, got back to sand river in the wee hours , oh the shit that can happen.

Edited by Turbo Kitty
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, favoritos said:

We usually put in reservations for the friggin holiday week every year.  In fact, we make the reservation during the last spring trip just to make sure.   Same story this year.

I don't like riding that week because of questionable conditions and heavy traffic.  Last couple of years a lot of the trails were not yet open.  It can be a real crap fest.

I only do that trip because riding buds kids are in school and don't have other easy options.  I basically spend the week making sure they know how to ride smart and safe.  I will say that the kids do get a good lesson in reality trying to ride those trails in that traffic.  Every one of them has rode through mud holes and stickers during their first trip.  When they screw up, they do the laundry. (Swamp mud can be some stinky crap.)  Those kids learn fast. - The old guy wasn't kidding when he said to get on the gas. ;) 

It's a crappy week to ride, but still better than sitting around home.

I have the week between the holidays off paid every year. I usually work it though because A. The money is fanfuckingtastic and B. The snow/trails are usually shit that week in Michigan. 

The money I make if I work that week, is usually enough to pay for all of my riding for the year. Kind of silly to not work it if I can. It’s not always a guarantee though so it is what it is. One of these years I’ll go out west that week.