Any snowmobile trips planned?

The guys I ride with we normally just go in a direction where the snow is.  We're lucky enough that some of us have places in Northern Wisconsin that we normally don't have to be concerned about lodging and are spaced far enough apart from each other that we can find good snow.  Once a season my wife likes to go a different area and motel it.  Been given some good leads from guys in this group.  This year is still up in the air where we're going for that.

Edited by Doug

Trail riding around the inlaws place like always but more frequent this year, hopefully. Once I get a good shakedown ride on this Indy, I’m going to take it up and swap it out with my brother in laws Edge X, in the shed. That way, I could even just run up there with the car, if I wanted to. No dragging the trailer necessary. 

With the off trail crew we just always watch the weather and head for the best we can find. Lodging gets a little tricky that way but we seem to make due. 

All depends on the snow (and if/when the sled comes in too, I suppose).  We're lucky enough to have 4 cabin/lodging options from Northern MN to Northwestern WI ... and if there's snow locally, we have great riding down here to be had.  If all else fails, we'll head out to Deadwood/Lead and spend a few days out there ... and hopefully do that anyway, even if there's good riding to be had closer to home.

I've backed away from our club ride past couple years.  We have a great club don't get me wrong but the last club ride we were on had over 30 sleds.  We went in an area that the ride coordinators were not formilure with and I was so I ended up leading.  Put another guy in the middle and at the end that was formilure with the area.  Just to hard keep a group that large on one page.  Good party at night.

1 minute ago, Doug said:

I've backed away from our club ride past couple years.  We have a great club don't get me wrong but the last club ride we were on had over 30 sleds.  We went in an area that the ride coordinators were not formilure with and I was so I ended up leading.  Put another guy in the middle and at the end that was formilure with the area.  Just to hard keep a group that large on one page.  Good party at night.

That's when you need to try and break it up into groups .... at least, that's how we try to do it.  Faster riders, intermediate riders, and slower riders all ride within their own groups, and we try to find a couple common stops throughout the day.  If those stops/times don't work out, we all end up together in the evening anyway - so it's all good.  Any groups bigger than 10 become kind of a nightmare IMO.

9 minutes ago, Bontz said:

That's when you need to try and break it up into groups .... at least, that's how we try to do it.  Faster riders, intermediate riders, and slower riders all ride within their own groups, and we try to find a couple common stops throughout the day.  If those stops/times don't work out, we all end up together in the evening anyway - so it's all good.  Any groups bigger than 10 become kind of a nightmare IMO.

Agree but the majority wanted to ride in one group.  I normally don't drink until the last stop of the day.  Started earlier that day.

20180126_155456.jpg

30 riders is AT LEAST 3 or 4 groups for our club.  Not even the slower riders want those of us who are there to ride, held up.   Not to mention, a group of 30 on the trail is a disaster trying to keep together, much less creating a head ache for anyone else trying to ride that day.  Usually there are plenty of options for slower and faster group riders to meet at the same spot for lunch, then back at the lodging for the evening.  You wanna keep going?  Have at it.  We have a pretty good understanding that there are those of us who came there to ride - and then there are those of us who came to socialize.  Usually there's a couple smaller groups that we meet up with at the end of the day and see who put the most miles on.  The rest of them are all back socializing by then, and no one complains.

Our last ride of the season in the spring when its generally warmer, we try to throw together a bonfire, with some brats and snacks.

Edited by Mag6240

16 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I think a group of 8 or 10 is illegal in Michigan. I know for a fact it is frowned upon at the least. 

Didn't know that.  I agree with the frowned upon.

Just now, Turbo Kitty said:

Why is it illegal or frowned upon?

The leader almost always has no clue another group has caught them, and in my experience doesn't and can't see back far enough to know. 

I'm usually in the "caught them" groups, and where a mile or so of not looking back it not going to matter to me, I've been behind groups where the leader doesn't even know where the last few in their group are, and even with mirrors, are clueless to other riders on the trail.

15 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

The leader almost always has no clue another group has caught them, and in my experience doesn't and can't see back far enough to know. 

I'm usually in the "caught them" groups, and where a mile or so of not looking back it not going to matter to me, I've been behind groups where the leader doesn't even know where the last few in their group are, and even with mirrors, are clueless to other riders on the trail.

When we had that large group for the club ride we actually had a guy in the middle that would signal up to the leaded and get signals from the guy at the rear.  Was still a PITA.  

For the bigger groups (8-10) we'll put the less experience or slower riders behind the leader and more experienced guys in the back.  Other wise you normally end up losing people in the group.

• Like 2

Same as every year. Rocky Mountains. Exact destination is determined a few days before each trip to find the freshest snow. 

7 days in January, usually week after new years.

7 days in February, usually second week.

7 days in March, varies which week. 

Some years a week in April. 

Trail riding is usually limited to around home if we get snow. Might be able to sneak away for a weekend up north here and there. 

2 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Whenever we had large groups we usually had a communicator with the lead rider and the guy in the back. If there were any issues the tail end guy could radio the leader to pull over as soon as they found a spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Doug said:

300 plus mile day.  Back by a little bar called the Elvoy that's 10 miles away from our cabin by 6:00.  Priceless.

20200111_173930.jpg

Those trails better be pristine to pull that off in this state, IMO. I’ve done 300 mile days here. They are one of the main reasons that I don’t trail ride much anymore. 

39 minutes ago, ckf said:

Whenever we had large groups we usually had a communicator with the lead rider and the guy in the back. If there were any issues the tail end guy could radio the leader to pull over as soon as they found a spot.

Wanted to outfit the family with communicators. At least my father in law, my wife and myself. My wife has only ridden once in the last three years and I don’t know how many more years my father in law has in him. 

6 hours ago, Doug said:

Agree but the majority wanted to ride in one group.  I normally don't drink until the last stop of the day.  Started earlier that day.

20180126_155456.jpg

Did they all use their hand signals?

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

MN North Shore trail system.  That it.

Renting a Polaris or SkiDoo?

:lmaodance:

12 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Those trails better be pristine to pull that off in this state, IMO. I’ve done 300 mile days here. They are one of the main reasons that I don’t trail ride much anymore. 

Have soon to be had enough vacation that I don't work Fridays in the winter and took some Thursdays off as well.  Thursday and Friday were always our days to ride hard.  Our place is 25 miles East of Eagle River Wis.  So for Saturdays rides we normally head up to Michigan through Iron River up to Sidnaw and over towards Republic then back as it's a much less traveled area.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Wanted to outfit the family with communicators. At least my father in law, my wife and myself. My wife has only ridden once in the last three years and I don’t know how many more years my father in law has in him. 

I'm sure that the technology has come even further since we used them regularly. They were good for about a half a mile or so.

• Thanks 1