Cross Country 2022

58 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

maybe they forgot to update the thermostat  :lol:
there isn't anything on his facebook page

score one for Polaris I guess...

Fuck that’s probably it…. He drilled all the holes except the most important one :smack:

On 1/8/2022 at 11:53 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

there's SX and Vintage Ovals at Eagle River on Flo right now, and not a fucking thing on anywhere showing Cross Country... which I'd rather watch.  

one would think they'd figure something out with all this technology we have, but nope!  

Guessing the cost vs return is not worth it to them.  

3 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Guessing the cost vs return is not worth it to them.  

They need to change this.  It can be done.  And done on the cheap using volunteers but, they lack coordinator to do it?

That vid I posted a while back was entertaining.  Throw in some drone footage and you’ve got and exciting 30 minute show.

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

They need to change this.  It can be done.  And done on the cheap using volunteers but, they lack coordinator to do it?

That vid I posted a while back was entertaining.  Throw in some drone footage and you’ve got and exciting 30 minute show.

You'd still have to pay at least one person to be dedicated to doing all of it, gathering clips, editing, etc.

Yes the argument can be made that it may help grow their series but most times these coordinators and promoters are so busy with everything else and the upcoming races that the idea of making a video production, they don't have time for it.

1 minute ago, mnstang said:

You'd still have to pay at least one person to be dedicated to doing all of it, gathering clips, editing, etc.

Yes the argument can be made that it may help grow their series but most times these coordinators and promoters are so busy with everything else and the upcoming races that the idea of making a video production, they don't have time for it.

Paper thin budgets, I get it.  But, if you want to grow revenue, you have to create a product the consumers can buy.  Use helmet cams, and a drone or two.  Start simple, basic and cheap and make refinements.

21 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Paper thin budgets, I get it.  But, if you want to grow revenue, you have to create a product the consumers can buy.  Use helmet cams, and a drone or two.  Start simple, basic and cheap and make refinements.

You'd have to buy helmet cameras for everyone, convince them to run them, and then how much footage would you get before the batteries die?  Definitely not to the end of the race.  And that's alot of footage to go through, you'd need at least one full time person just handling all of that.  It'd be better to just have a few people around the course take some clips of action periodically.  Ultimately, cross country has always been about the racers not the spectating.  I'm sure the racers are just happy to race.

But really anyone that wants it so bad can go out and do it, gather your own advertisors to put in the videos, gather your own volunteers, dedicate your own time, and maybe you'll break even on it.  If there is a demand for it, somebody would step up and do it.  Besides the friends and family of the racers, there is not many people who would watch I feel like.  Just my opinion.

22 minutes ago, mnstang said:

You'd have to buy helmet cameras for everyone, convince them to run them, and then how much footage would you get before the batteries die?  Definitely not to the end of the race.  And that's alot of footage to go through, you'd need at least one full time person just handling all of that.  It'd be better to just have a few people around the course take some clips of action periodically.  Ultimately, cross country has always been about the racers not the spectating.  I'm sure the racers are just happy to race.

But really anyone that wants it so bad can go out and do it, gather your own advertisors to put in the videos, gather your own volunteers, dedicate your own time, and maybe you'll break even on it.  If there is a demand for it, somebody would step up and do it.  Besides the friends and family of the racers, there is not many people who would watch I feel like.  Just my opinion.

Having course workers or vunteers/staff video certain sections is a good idea. I personally hate the helmet cam views. The uscc used to put out a dvd at the end of the year that was pretty good. A little more work and they could do a short 10 or 15 min video the week after the race

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

COR owns a fucking helicopter ffs 

But yeah, drone footage would be expensive.  :lol:

Obviously they'd don't feel like it has been worth it to this point.  They own a helicopter and you don't so they might know something.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Budget won't grow without fan support.  Chicken egg.  Any brains in marketing would see that.  They obviously are missing said brain.

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

This is the problem.  The reality of CC racing is, just not enough of a fan base.

15 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Budget won't grow without fan support.  Chicken egg.  Any brains in marketing would see that.  They obviously are missing said brain.

It'd take an upfront investment for sure and like stated above, if somebody thought they could get any type of return, it would have already been done.

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

As one example... at eagle rio during the vintage race this weekend they have half a dozen unmanned corner cameras.  So with XC, set of some cams with a deep cycle battery and inverter, record footage from the most exciting sections of the track or trail, compile the footage, sift it and put out a 15 minute video paid for by the SPONSORS to promote their products.  I don't think anyone here is suggesting a full live stream and everyone to have go pros strapped to themselves.  The drone footage for SX is awesome, pick a section of ditch were the boys are going 70 mph hitting shit then landing 100ft away and show it.

Is this not exciting?  Listen to Billy Bob in the pickemup truck?

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

This is the problem.  The reality of CC racing is, just not enough of a fan base.

It'd take an upfront investment for sure and like stated above, if somebody thought they could get any type of return, it would have already been done.

They remind me of several sports and activities with little to no desire to change and grow a fan base. 

XC racing is the closest thing most snowmobilers can likely associate with.  How many people are actually launching table tops and mashing moguls like Elias, or running the shit Burandt or the back country boys do?  If I were a manufacturer dumping $ into it, I'd demand a visible return of my investment. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

As one example... at eagle rio during the vintage race this weekend they have half a dozen unmanned corner cameras.  So with XC, set of some cams with a deep cycle battery and inverter, record footage from the most exciting sections of the track or trail, compile the footage, sift it and put out a 15 minute video paid for by the SPONSORS to promote their products.  I don't think anyone here is suggesting a full live stream and everyone to have go pros strapped to themselves.  The drone footage for SX is awesome, pick a section of ditch were the boys are going 70 mph hitting shit then landing 100ft away and show it.

Is this not exciting?  Listen to Billy Bob in the pickemup truck?

They remind me of several sports and activities with little to no desire to change and grow a fan base. 

XC racing is the closest thing most snowmobilers can likely associate with.  How many people are actually launching table tops and mashing moguls like Elias, or running the shit Burandt or the back country boys do?  If I were a manufacturer dumping $ into it, I'd demand a visible return of my investment. 

Bingo!  Absolutely!  I’m not and don’t know anybody out there casing 40’ doubles.  Even if they were there, nobody is doing them.  Closing thing is driveway and road jumping and even then, so few set up for it. It’s lawn dart city out there if you try it.

1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

I think Polaris terrain dominated 

they do well on flat icy surfaces

we'll have to see how they dominate the terrain in the ditches

if that happens this year

and if Cat's best rider can start the race

and... Selby got fourth on a Doo?!!!!