600 Liberty - replace or rebuild?

p51mstg

I have a 2002 Polaris 600 Liberty with the first year PERC and ignition key switchable between 87 and 91 octane.  This spring I discovered light scoring on the cylinder walls with compression 115-120 on both sides.  No idea about main bearing seals.  This is my spare / ice fishing sled and it needs to last me a couple more years.  This winter, it’s going to run the full season, unless the engine decides otherwise.  But, with these engines getting rarer, if the thing decides to take a dump, I’m looking for choices.

1 - Find a shop to reline or recondition the jugs, mail order pistons, gaskets, etc and rebuild, or….

2 - Find a complete Cleanfire 600 and drop it in, or…

3 - Sell the carcass and buy another beater, or…

4 - Something I haven’t  thought of yet…

I don’t know whether a Cleanfire would be an easy swap.  Something tells me it would be a lot more trouble than it’s worth.  The sled is almost at a point where I’d part it out, or sell it to a scrap yard, but it’s perfect for ice fishing and I hate to see it go.  So, I’m thinking Option 1.  What are people’s thoughts on swapping engines?

Pictures of the scoring. Your compression readings are fairly normal for an older 600 VES engine. 

The cylinders are probably fine. You can probably, easily, put pistons and rings in it and run it. Make sure the exhaust valves are touching the pistons and resolve that while it’s apart, If they are. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?
  • Like 1

It was easy to retro PERC to the 01 02 and 03 500-800 non perc sleds.  I did a few. The OP could have one someone retro fitted.

And to the OP, rebuild it

Edited by racerdave

Thanks, everyone.  I’ll take another peak before the snow flies and make a decision.  If able, I’ll post pictures.

PERC was available from the factory in 2002 model year on at least one model.  Could be added late for all I know - my model is S02ST6ESA.  It’s hard to find that info, and the only place I could find it is by getting the 2002 owners manual pdf from Polaris.  There may be less reliable sources.