More snowmobile content??

ckf

On 10/21/2021 at 2:49 PM, AK440 said:

The HCS site is much better now than it was before the great purge. Look at this place, it’s fricking dead. Much better info and traffic on the original HCS site. This place is one step above PSP for lack of traffic and overall lameness.

Here's an idea...go back to your safe place and try to complain about this place.....oh thats right....Hitler youth and the wet nurses over there won't allow that.  Good thing you can bitch here 

Yellowstone Study Results: Maybe Sleds Aren’t So Bad?

Yellowstone National Park snowmobile

In the 1990s and early 2000s, extreme environmental groups were building up all sorts of steam for their theory that snowmobilers were ruining Yellowstone National Park. Listening to their stories, you would have assumed the nation’s first national park had become a polluted cesspool, with despondent animals trapped under a smog blanket and more stressed out and nervous than Brittney Spears at a family reunion. And snowmobiles were solely to blame!

Never mind that summer traffic in the park was 100 times great than winter visitation. Forget the fact that snowmobile engines were getting notably cleaner. They had their story and they were sticking to it. “BAN SNOWMOBILES!” they cried, and had college kids who couldn’t even identify Montana on a map going door-to-door in the suburbs across the country, seeking signatures on petitions.

Somehow with all of that stress and disinformation going on, snowmobiles were not banned but were limited within the park. And now that more time has passed, it’s becoming more and more evident that maybe seeing the park via our favorite mode of winter transportation isn’t so bad after all.The latest evidence was unearthed in a story from the Billings Gazette (an article that, oddly, we found in the Spokane Spokesman). The story stated that managers at the park are proposing ending winter monitoring of the interaction between park animals and snowmobiles/snow coaches because, frankly, the animals just don’t care about us that much!

According to the summary report cited in the story, 95 percent of animals within 500 feet of a snow-covered road that was serving as a trail showed “no response or a ‘look and resume’ response” to snowmobiles and snowcoaches. The bison didn’t get into extended discussion over the virtues of one brand of sled over another, the elk herds scatter at the sight of a helmeted person slowly motoring past. The vast, vast majority of critters either didn’t do anything, or at most glanced up for a moment and then went back about their business – not unlike if a crow had flown past. You can read the rest of the story  

Frankly, we don’t expect the Park Service to throw the doors open the gates to vast numbers of snowmobiles in the near future, nor do we expect them to move away from the “Best Available Technology” sled requirements when it comes to emissions. But the study does further prove that maybe – just maybe – snowmobilers and our machines might not be marauding nuisances as we were once portrayed.  

• Like 2

haha

The fuckin stupid bison dont give a shit. They fuckin herd up on the road and sit there until you bump into them with your truck. 

Every fuckin time we go to Cooke City we have to bump the fuckers to get out of the way. I may or may not have video....lol

7 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://youtu.be/_0AcMesouxw

Bears gotta eat, same as buzzards.  :)

That is crazy . Wonder what is wrong with it to be out that time of yr . 

I alway get a thought in the back of my mind when out west and stuck or some shit and my legs bust thrugh what is most likely brush or a under snow creek if a grizz is going to have a foot for lunch in his den 

13 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

That is crazy . Wonder what is wrong with it to be out that time of yr . 

I alway get a thought in the back of my mind when out west and stuck or some shit and my legs bust thrugh what is most likely brush or a under snow creek if a grizz is going to have a foot for lunch in his den 

idk what time of year it's from but they can still have snow in the rockies late into spring

talk about a critter you wouldn't want to encounter in spring when they're REALLY hungry, and you're sled is acting 'peculiar' - or a Polaris.  :lol:

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

idk what time of year it's from but they can still have snow in the rockies late into spring

talk about a critter you wouldn't want to encounter in spring when they're REALLY hungry, and you're sled is acting 'peculiar' - or a Polaris.  :lol:

Yeah inwascthinkinhbsome thing don't trench in now lol.

But one would think that griz would be heading down if just getting up in the spring. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

Gotta love eating that cat tail fuzz.

Only time I have had a mask on in a yr lol. Mask and safety goggles covered in fuzz .  But if you don't do it groomers may never get in . And in the metro we need every advantage we can get to get out as soon as we can  

24 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Only time I have had a mask on in a yr lol. Mask and safety goggles covered in fuzz .  But if you don't do it groomers may never get in . And in the metro we need every advantage we can get to get out as soon as we can  

Agreed. The local club I used to be involved with we got out and knocked the grass down and every time it snowed a little up until the groomers could safely run across.

33 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Agreed. The local club I used to be involved with we got out and knocked the grass down and every time it snowed a little up until the groomers could safely run across.

Yeah we have a 72 rough cut mower that each guy runs on his sections that need it and that helps with grass and to keep some if the brush at bay . 

Then The Power lodge gives us a demo argo for about a week every yr to run the swamps . Before that we would run what we could on ATV then do the rest with a 2x4 with a rope ties on each end and knocked em down over deep water with that 2x4 on your foot As soon as ice was thick enough to walk on . Massive PITA. and a lot of spots just did not get done . 

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

Yeah we have a 72 rough cut mower that each guy runs on his sections that need it and that helps with grass and to keep some if the brush at bay . 

Then The Power lodge gives us a demo argo for about a week every yr to run the swamps . Before that we would run what we could on ATV then do the rest with a 2x4 with a rope ties on each end and knocked em down over deep water with that 2x4 on your foot As soon as ice was thick enough to walk on . Massive PITA. and a lot of spots just did not get done . 

When I first joined they strictly used Polaris 6x6's with tracks on the rears. It worked but still wasn't the greatest on a wet year. I got a friend to resurrect an old track machine that we used along with a pair of can am 6x6's during my stint as trail coordinator.  I guess now they borrow an Argo and use another clubs Mudd Ox.

FB_IMG_1637505671921.jpg

FB_IMG_1520565475390.jpg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

We really need a roller ..but again more shit to have to load and unload 10 times in a day then store.  Same old story what we really need is body's even if for just 1 day a yr . 

I hear you there. The roller really shines when you are trying to cover 40 miles of trail that isn't frozen enough to groom but has 4" of fresh on it.

27 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

I hear you there. The roller really shines when you are trying to cover 40 miles of trail that isn't frozen enough to groom but has 4" of fresh on it.

Lol yeah we litteraly had to weld new steel plate over the back of 1 of our drags this summer because of all the low snow just panning .  Wore holes in it this is not light guage steel lol. 

But fuck it took us yrs to get the old guard out who would not even think of brining out the groomers till we had well over a foot . The system was lucky to get hit 2 times most yrs . After the old guys were replaced we littealy ran out of money for fuel the first yr .old fucks were like see how irresponsible you are. We put out a call to riders and got over 3k in donations for fuel in less than a week . Along with many notes thanking us for the best trails they could remember .

4 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Lol yeah we litteraly had to weld new steel plate over the back of 1 of our drags this summer because of all the low snow just panning .  Wore holes in it this is not light guage steel lol. 

But fuck it took us yrs to get the old guard out who would not even think of brining out the groomers till we had well over a foot . The system was lucky to get hit 2 times most yrs . After the old guys were replaced we littealy ran out of money for fuel the first yr .old fucks were like see how irresponsible you are. We put out a call to riders and got over 3k in donations for fuel in less than a week . Along with many notes thanking us for the best trails they could remember .

Yeah that is the limiting factor on alot of clubs. Our club is Snowmobile/Atv so there was a constant battle on which side was more important and got sick of the bs and resigned. Oh well, their loss. I did alot of maintenance that hadn't been done in forever along with many other things. Have to think most clubs would kill for a couple guys in mid 30's

2 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Yeah same for us moving the old guard out - great guys that worked hard, just not so willing to change.  We’ve been discing and running cultipackers for a few years now and it only takes 5-6” of snow to be able to make a groomable trail.  

Swamps are another story but the RZR with tracks pulling a Swisher mower we built skis for, goes through almost everything. 

See trail work thread….

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

Yeah that is the limiting factor on alot of clubs. Our club is Snowmobile/Atv so there was a constant battle on which side was more important and got sick of the bs and resigned. Oh well, their loss. I did alot of maintenance that hadn't been done in forever along with many other things. Have to think most clubs would kill for a couple guys in mid 30's

Yeah we acctualy are pretty good at getting younger guys . At this point as Far as active members I would prob be the old guard at 52 lol . We have I would say 7 to 10 active members  from 30s to early 40s . Rest mid 40s to mid 50s 

Few younger guys . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Yeah same for us moving the old guard out - great guys that worked hard, just not so willing to change.  We’ve been discing and running cultipackers for a few years now and it only takes 5-6” of snow to be able to make a groomable trail.  

Swamps are another story but the RZR with tracks pulling a Swisher mower we built skis for, goes through almost everything. 

See trail work thread….

Yeah all good guys who put aot if time in and are just over it or ok with defeat because time wore them down ? 

Who knowes . Club I am in now I was a first yr member . We started because other clubs in the aria were unwilling to do what needed to be done .  It started mostly because of all the trail loss around us and it was to the point thete was going to be no way off the lake. 

We started got over 60mi of trail back in a yr . Continue to work at re routs around developments etc . With in 3 yrs we pretty much took over the local larger overseeing club board and got another Tucker and drag to keep on the other end of the system . Got a shelter built pretty much took over other clubs trail that connects to ours because they won't keep it up and as far as I know we have more money than any club around us .

So when some old fucks says it can't be done we did that etc etc . just move em the fuck over and get it done. Or cometly cut there whole club out of the loop and let them be the social club they are